Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lots of ??s. don't hate the newbie. I'm a CD virgin

Thanks abeccarelli. We have already bought 9 bg 4.0s
I am looking into getting some sunbaby, and kawaiis also. As for the newborn stash I will be getting a wide variety. Prefolds and some covers like thirsties duo size 1s and proraps. And possibly some xs pockets and aios.
And wha exactly is a trial? Do I buy some from them and if they don't work out I send them back? And if I like them I keep them? No exactly sure how it works. I guess I'll jump on their website

Advertisement

FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Microfiber is the only thing that should not go against the skin. It is very drying and can cause dry skin on your babies bottom. (Dry skin can lead to cracked open skin and that would not be good!) Normally those inserts are for stuffing in the pocket diapers. The inside layer of fabric in the pocket keeps it way from the babies skin. I like microfiber inserts in my pocket diapers because they are trim, absorbent, and easy to wash/dry.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamiLEE View Post
And wha exactly is a trial? Do I buy some from them and if they don't work out I send them back? And if I like them I keep them? No exactly sure how it works.
Yes...you get to keep what you like and return what you don't...or if your baby grows fast basically return them all as outgrown, but have a sense as to what you will get next, and not have the hassle of trying to sell off a bunch of random stuff. The thing is, even if YOU like something, your baby may not be able to tolerate it eg. I thought I'd go with newborn fitteds and the Thirsties covers....my son could not stand being even the slightest bit wet and pitched a fit in any dipe that didn't have stay-dry. But I had to wait until I could sell my NB diapers and covers before I could afford to get others. It was a drag and if I had it to do over, I would do a diaper trial even if it costs a little more....so much less hassle.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I like microfiber inserts in my pocket diapers because they are trim, absorbent, and easy to wash/dry.
I hate microfiber because stuffing it into those pockets gives you contact dermatitis...just you wait. LOL

But I still use it, am slowly switching over to all hemp and cotton though.

The Bum Genius 4.0's are a good place to start. I love Kawaii diapers, too, but you may want to not go for all pockets as stuffing them gets old and it's nice to have something else to use when you need a break from stuffing.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

check out youtube.com its great to see things in action. I'm sure there is a 1 o 1 video that goes over it all.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was first starting out

I spent lots of time on the Green Mountian Diapers site reading and looking at pics. It was very helpful.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you have a brick and mortar cloth diaper store within 2 hours of you, I highly recommend you go to it. That will give u a chance to see all the different styles and materials available. You can touch and feel them and try them out on a baby doll. You will QUICKLY figure out which diaper styles and\or materials that u like, that u hate, and that u r unsure of. That will give u a narrower platform from which to start ur purchases.

Honestly, as a total newbie, I would drive further than 2 hours for that experience.

If u do get to go to one, plan on staying a few hours to really get ur education.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't know that about trials. I will definitely look into that. I guess I'll do some more research on the materials. I have a lot to learn.
Contact dermatitis? Sounds fun
I looked at some YouTube videos. Will keep on looking up more vids
Green mountain diapers seems like the next site I will visit.
We did recently get a cloth diaper store in my city. My wife and I are excited. They are having a diaper swap tomorrow that we will check out. We did stop by there and the lady there was very knowledgeable and helpful. Thy offer classes that we will attend.
FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is your primary goal in cloth diapering? Cost savings, environmental, ease of use , easy to clean, absorbancy, etc? You might be doing it for a variety of reasons, but what is #1?

You will like your 4.0's. They are a diaper that fit a lot of babies really well for a long time. If you have second thoughts on the microfiber that comes with them, almost anything can be stuffed in a pocket.

One trend that I continually see is people try everything and then go to (or go back to) prefolds and covers. Another piece of advice that is almost never shared here because we like to enable each other....but if you have a diaper and it's getting the job done, just stick with it. Believe me, I'd have saved a fortune if I had been committed to that one rule.

A few diapers that I've found to be very reliable....BG Elementals, Flip Organic inserts in Flip or Thirsties or Swaddlebees capri covers, sized prefolds, and BG 4.0's.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just coming back on here to post much of what the pp said.....

1) u need to decide why u r cloth diapering - this will help u narrow down the field
Cost savings?
Environment?
Cute factor?
All natural fibers?
Health of the baby?

2) u need to decide what ur willing to spend - this will REALLY narrow down the field
It is VERY easy to overspend, so think of a realistic budget and decide ahead of time how much wiggle room u have with that

3) remember in the end.....it is a DIAPER....there to do 1 job - hold in poop and pee. If u find something that does that job with a reasonable level of accuracy, stick with it and stop trying other things. (Unless trying other things is in the budget).

4) I try to remember the above thing when I'm tempted to try new things. Then, I think about the things we can do with that money that I wanna spend on an unneccessary diaper and I quickly change my mind. I just don't wanna spend unneccessary money on diapers when I can spend it on other things that I value more (babysitting so my husband and I can go on a date, a sewing project for my oldest daughter, etc). When I put it that way, the unneccessary diaper loses its appeal and I quickly become content with my stash.

Hope this helps....
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote