Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #41
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

RO55ANA--Uh, wow, that sounds awesome. And good for you for helping out other homeschool families--although personally I'm glad I don't need it because we don't have to do standarized testing here!

Shannon--Hope you little ones are feeling better soon. I wouldn't worry too much about school since they are feeling so yucky and so young anyway. Try to give them and yourself a break.

As for us--we are on day 3 of our new relaxed schedule. We still haven't done any of our MFW stuff. I have been having them do math (which comes much easier to them) and they have been reading me a few "I See Sam" books everyday. I've been reading to them a lot, and today they wanted to write a letter to their cousin, so they did that. And we went on a walk to look for signs of spring. If I can keep myself from freaking out about being "behind" I think we're going to hand out in this groove for a little while and see how things progress.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #42
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

foggier--you posted while I did, but if you get a chance at all, go to the convention!! I went for the first time last year and highly recommend going. We had some AMAZING speakers at ours (I Todd Wilson) and you get to see so much curriculum and get tons!! of free samples and you get to meet so many people. It's totally worth the admission cost, IMO.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

RO55ANA, if your girls enjoyed Where the Sidewalk Ends, y'all should look into his other books. My 12 yr old just got Everything On It for Christmas and her first reaction was, "poetry!?!!?!", but she really enjoyed it once she read it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #44
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

jen_batten: I hope you can continue with your relaxed approach. It sounds like the kids are really enjoying it and still learning the necessities.

The admission cost to our convention is like $5 a person or $10 a family, so totally doable. Now to just get DH to take that Saturday off so he can watch the 2 bigger kids and I can just take the nursling with me.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #45
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOL I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any new posts on the thread. I thought, wow, everyone must be busy getting their homeschool on! Haha! Today I finally realized there's a new thread, DUH!

Okay then, I'm off to catch up on what I've missed!!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #46
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
anybody use Reading Eggs??? I test drove it for 14 days and thought it was pretty good, but didn't know if it was worth it to pay the $$ for it. I would be using it with my 2 youngest boys. DS2 is a little delayed, or at least he would be if he were at government school. He and DS3 seem to work on a similar level, even though he is a smidge above DS3. Anyway, I thought it would be something fun for them, but wasn't sure about the $$.
We haven't paid for it (I can't convince my husband...) but my 8 year old independent reader had fun with it even though she can read, and my 6 year old beginning reader really likes it, and he does it every day during the baby's nap time. I've been able to get by on free codes so far.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #47
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

foggier--is your convention really small or just really cheap? Ours is way more than that. $18 per individual, $30 per couple, and $50 per family. And the prices go up $10 if you don't register a month and a half in advance. It is for all three days though, so I still think it's worth it, but your $10 sounds good to me!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #48
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
We haven't paid for it (I can't convince my husband...) but my 8 year old independent reader had fun with it even though she can read, and my 6 year old beginning reader really likes it, and he does it every day during the baby's nap time. I've been able to get by on free codes so far.
oh do share! i've only gotten one free trial and am clueless as to how to get anymore!! my 5y.o. struggling learner loves it, and my 3y.o. does it w/him. we simply can not afford it right now, but i really think it would help him!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #49
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so frustrated.....we go to Classical Conversations (CC) once/week. As a general rule, we love it. I'm a tutor in my 5y.o. class, and my 8y.o. attends another class. Unfortunately, one of the kids in my 8y.o.s class is a JERK/BULLY (he also happens to be a tutor's kid, and she's in denial). anyway, there was an incident a couple of weeks ago on the playground involving BULLY kid, my kid, and my kid's new bestie. Well, I felt it needed to be told to all the parents, so I did. I did it in a kind, non-judgemental way. I just wanted everyone to know. The BULLY was pushing, arm twisting, head locking, and being a general...um..bully. And the playground monitors were too busy running their mouths to see what was going on. Anyway....after I said something, Bully's mom made a big deal and the whole thing just snowballed. Now, my kid's bestie and all the "big" kids (defined as 8y.o. and above) have been banned from running on the playground. In fact, my kid's bestie is under the impression that he's banned from the playground. And now bestie's mom will barely speak to me. And when she does it's all sad and morose cause her kid is banned. I feel like she is implying it's MY fault. Anyway, I'm so stinkin' frustrated!!! What did they expect me to do, not say anything??!?!?! Bullying must be addressed. It can't be let to go on. And the thing is, during the incident, my kid made threatening remarks to the bully (I'll kill you if you don't leave my friend alone.). I reprimanded my kid and told him why it was inappropriate, gave him some grace, and moved on. But now I feel like I'm being viewed as the over-reactive, crazy, drama mama And my kid is going to be devastated when he finds out that his friend won't play on the playground with him. I'm in tears here thinking that I just cost my kid his friend because I was trying to defend them and stand up for the little guys. GRRRRRRR!!!! Okay....my vent is over. Thx!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #50
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
foggier--is your convention really small or just really cheap? Ours is way more than that. $18 per individual, $30 per couple, and $50 per family. And the prices go up $10 if you don't register a month and a half in advance. It is for all three days though, so I still think it's worth it, but your $10 sounds good to me!
I'm not real sure how big it is. I only heard about it because MFW is going to be there, so I looked into it. The list of vendors/curriculum that will be there is pretty long too, like 85 different vendors so far. They don't require pre-registering or anything.

We will do school this afternoon when both littles are napping. Right now DS and DD are drawing on their chalkboards that I made them for Christmas while the littlest one is taking her morning nap.