Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When the house is paid off... then what?

I have to say...I'm totally jealous! lol We'll both be 30 this year and haven't even bought a house yet. But we're both finally on the same page with the budget and doing well so far. Baby steps.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Once the mortgage is paid off we will need to save for retirement. Well need at least 240k
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
I have to say...I'm totally jealous! lol We'll both be 30 this year and haven't even bought a house yet. But we're both finally on the same page with the budget and doing well so far. Baby steps.
This is us too.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Your hard work and thrift most definitely paid off!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

If you only had $5000 in interest, and are in the 30% bracket, you saved $1500 on taxes. At the end of the mortage, you pay very little in interest. We paid $3200 in interest this year .

We have 2 years left and will have about $1500/month to work with. I plan on increasing retirement from 15% to 20%. I plan on beefing up the car replacement fund, the house improvement fund, and our emergency fund. Right now, we have enough for the next car, but are not adding to it. And, we have enough for a basic kitchen remodel, but have other things on the list to do. We have 6 months expenses saved, but would increase it to 9 months.

How old are you? Based on a rule of thumb, you should have about .5 times your annual income in retirement at age 30, 1 times at age 35, 2 times at 40, 3 times at 45, etc. If you're not close to that, maybe concentrate on increasing that?

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
schmerna
Registered Users
seller

We bought another house! Our former home is now a rental property.

I think a vacation is well deserved.

After you return you can consider other investments:
home improvements
college funds
increase your retirement contributions to 20% of income
rental property
stocks

Or you can retire early, find a job that you love that pays less

You could also give more to charity.
schmerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Upstate, I taught in Albany til my current SAHM gig. I'll go back eventually somewhere.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We made our last house payment in October (after being debt free but the house for a while now) and our "extra" goes into savings (for various things) now. Its such a great feeling to know that no matter what our home is OURS. Our (somewhat vague) plans are increased retirement, growing our liquid assets to 12 months living expenses, home renovations, vacations, and just loosening up lifestyle (which is really what the previous list is all about) but we will always be careful spenders because of past mistakes.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

We have quite a while left on our mortgage (20 years at the most but plan to pay it off well before then). If we were in your shoes I would max out ou retirement contributions and the kids college funds. I would then probably put money into each child's saving account each month as well as put money into a vacation fund and a new car fund. I know you want to be able to leave your kids a nice inheritance but I feel that there is a lot to say about the value in making memories. They will probably really appreciate a large amount of inheritance but family vacations and time spent together might hold more value. (I'm not saying that one has to take vacations with their kids in order to make memories). I hope to do a lot of traveling with my kids as they get older.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We are early 30s as well and paid off the mortgage last year. We now contribute $458/month to each Roth IRA and $100/month to each child's college fund (prior we were doing $100/month to each IRA and $50/month to each college fund). We might increase the college fund contributions as well, not sure. I think the max you can do is $5000/year per household, and with four kids we are at $4800/year already.

Beyond that, we still set up sinking funds for vacations, new vehicles, etc. We paid cash for a brand new van in December (well, with the trade-in) . We have been able to make some really large (IMO anyway) contributions to our church and various charities, and we are now saving for a trip to Ireland

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow! We have a 30 year mortgage and are about 7 years into it. Every month we pay about $300 extra, but we're hoping in two years when the kids are in school and we won't be paying daycare costs that we'll be able to knock out our mortgage fast. If we could pay the $1200/month we're paying for that our mortgage would be gone fast! We only owe about 85K now.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote