Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A child accidently injured my child

It was an accident. You can no way "go after" them for anything. Whether or not they should be throwing rocks, it wasn't thrown at him on purpose. Your dh needs to relax. What if it was your kid that accidentally hit another kid with the rock he was throwing and those parents wanted to come at you?

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A child accidently injured my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Tell your husband he's WAY overreacting. What happened would be known as an accident. Kids were goofing around, and someone got hurt. He didn't even get hurt that badly, there aren't even stitches. No one was trying to throw rocks at your kid, no one expected your kid to be there when they were throwing rocks. Yeah, they shouldn't have been throwing rocks, but your kid probably should have watched where he was running too.

How would your DH feel if the situation were reversed. What if it was your son who threw the rock and the other kid who ran right in front of him at the wrong time?

If I were this other kid's parents, I would be livid that someone would even consider suing over something that dumb.
AGREED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazieGirl View Post
My inclination is to let it go and chalk it up to kids being kids but, I am, of course, sad and upset my son got hurt. My son said the boy that threw it was really sorry and upset, and I know he went to the principals office so he was disciplined by the school. Hopefully, my husband has had some time to calm down and think a little clearer. I would have liked to hear from the boys parents, I think I would have made the offer to cover doctors bills or co-pay had it been my kid throwing the rock. But then again, maybe I would be too worried about being sued to contact the injured party!
Of course you are sad our kid got hurt. But obviously it was an accident and the kids was ALSO upset and really sorry about it. Why would you want to hear from the kids parents? The kid is in 6th grade, acknowledged his mistake, apologized, feels horrible about it and was disciplined by the school. I think for a typical lack in judgement on a 6th grade boys part, he has done his part.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm so sorry this happened to your son. I know it must make you upset to see him in pain. I was the bad child in a situation like this when I was in 5th grade. We were playing some kind of baseball game in gym class where you hit the ball and run back and forth between two bases until you're tagged out. I don't know the name, but the point is there were no "real outfield positions". When I was up to bat, a girl friend of mine was standing a few feet behind me and I did not know she was there. By some miracle of God, I actually hit the ball, which was the first and only time I have ever made bat-ball contact. I swung the bat all the way through and flung it behind me rather hard. The bat hit her in the face, busting her head open right above the eye. She required 10 stitches to close the wound. I cried and felt absolutely horrible.
When she came back to school, she said she could not be my friend anymore. Her mother told her that I could not call her, talk to her, and my invitation to her birthday party was revoked. Our friendship ended that day, over an accident, that I felt horrible about. It was so sad for me, and I thought it was wrong that we were both punished for an honest accident.
I would certainly not sue them. That is just crazy, and will make the situation much bigger than it really is.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nevermind...

^ that is so sad!! A similar thing happened to me, my BFF and I were running (playing tag? Don't remember,but she was the chaser) and I dropped my backpack to run faster not knowing how close she had gotten, she spilled over it and cracked open her head on the cement. I think it was about 5th grade, I cried the rest of the day and when she came back she wasn't allowed to be friends with me In hindsite I can't figure out why my teachers just let me cry in class rather than send me home. That was humiliating as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nevermind...

MommyZ and Tris those stories are horrible. I can't see telling my child they can't be friends with someone over an accident. Thats just plain being nasty.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Omgoodness those stories are so sad I'm sure it sucks to see your kids get hurt, and having to pay hospital and doctors bills... But that goes along with raising kids. Accidents and injuries happen. Why punish the kids, who didnt mean any harm?
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote