Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My advice is start simple and build from there. If you know you want to make the commitment, don't make a huge investment on any one type of diaper right away because you never know what you will end up liking and disliking. Different diapers are good for different stages in baby's life, and you may find yourself changing it up every couple of months!

But, for me a perfect stash is one that can be washed easily, versatile, and packable. I have cut out all microfiber because it's just too high maintenance and doesn't hold up to heavy use as well as cotton or other natural fibers. For longevity wool covers def take the cake but PUL covers are easy and cheap. I have flats, prefolds, pre- fitteds and a few AI2s in my normal rotation, with some pockets and AIOs on hand for family or friends for easy changes. In the diaper bag I have receiving blanket flats and a couple of covers, a wet bag and flushable liners.

Once you create the habit of doing the laundry and finding which type of diaper works well for you, disposables will seem completely ridiculous. They don't work as well, they are uncomfortable for baby, and they are expensive!

Advertisement

QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Lots of ??s. don't hate the newbie. I'm a CD virgin

I will second some of the pps I like the idea of sticking with what you know. I got Flips as a gift and Blueberrys used...I like them (they each work well, but for different folds). I like flips for night time, and blueberry in the day. I also know I like my Kawaiis and BGs. If I can get some more BGs I will for sure. I just can't tolerate the cost, so I get them used. I like Sunbaby, but they are a lot smaller than BGs.

I also have gDiapers that I love for travel. Since family is 6 hours away, we need a good car diaper that can take up as little room as possible. That works well for us.

I also want some fitteds, but they can be costly too, but I have fallen in love with the Kissas hybrids and I am dying to try those. I think something with that absorbancy is great for home with no cover (we are in Phoenix and it will be hot here in the summer, so breathe-ability is paramount). That is kind of what all the other mamas mean by knowing your reasons.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went to modernclothdiapers.com and bought used diapers (before I knew about this website). They sell the diapers after they can no longer rent them out but they are still in really good shape.

I started with 6 prefolds (actually 8, 6 ozocozys and 2 thirsties hemp), 6 fitted, 2 covers, 6 aplix (velcro) Bumgenius NB AIO's and 6 snap Kissaluvs NB AIO's. I thought we would prefer snap AIO's (we did) but I wanted to try a variety.

I washed everyday.

My husband kept throwing the covers in the wash after one use (this doesn't work if you only have 2 and they are supposed to last all day), and I couldn't fold a prefold to save my life. Actually it was really that I didn't have the patience for it.

We started using the Bumgenius One Size after a couple of weeks (they are still really big on newborns but you start to get the idea of what you like). Then we added to our stash from there and phased in the OS diapers and phased out the newborn size.

BTW I only spend $100 on all the newborn stuff I mentioned above, but I own it as opposed to renting it through a trial and can resell what we don't plan on using again.

Our favorite diapers in this house are all snaps: bumgenius freetimes, bumgenius elementals (detach the soakers for quick drying), Swaddleebees simplex OS, and thirsties duo (when he grows into). We also have a couple pockets (4.0 and rumparooz) that we stuff at night time but my DS forgets to pull out the soaker when throwing them in the wash and I hate stuffing.

Hope this helps!
TobinsTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and all the diapers we have basically go on the baby the same way so its easy for a babysitter or someone outside our immediate family to change a diaper for us.
TobinsTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our reasoning for going with the cloth diaper route is pretty much all the reasons listed. If i had to choose I would say better for the baby and money savings would top the list.
We do have a budget. I am not sure exactly but I believe we are thinking that most people spend around $500-600 starting out. We think that is reasonably within our price range and depending on how crazy we get with the spending that budget could go up a few hundred dollars.
Looks like variety is key when it comes to starting out. I will have to make sure that we get a wide assortment of styles, sizes, fabrics, and brands of diapers.
All this feedback is very helpful and I appreciate it ladies

Last edited by FamiLEE; 02-08-2013 at 12:55 PM.
FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

enjoy your cloth diaper workshops! i love the actual stores, you get to see and compare different diapers, even put them on a doll or something, especially if you are new to using a snappi on a prefolds old fashion style (we do this half the time). you also get to practice some self-restraint and not buy everything! if you're first time parents, allow yourselves some grace to use a disposable every now and then or on a rough day. we used sposies at night and when going out for a couple months before doing cloth full time. when baby learns to sleep through the night, finding the right nighttime diaper combo will be another adventure but there are lots of advice here as you know. finding the right washing detergent is also impt (some use tide with no probs, some use actual detergent for cloth diapers). also cloth wipes will save extra cash, baby wash cloths, cut up t shirts, actual fancy bamboo velour wipes, whatever AND try a couple samples of cloth diaper friendly diaper creams to see what you like and what works for baby. and last, take lots of pictures of baby in cloth and share the love with fam/friends, spread cloth diaper cheer!

if you are still awaiting a baby shower, create an online cloth diaper registry/wish list or pin page, something like that... i know those things exist but i never had the time to check it out! best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamiLEE View Post
Our reasoning for going with the cloth diaper route is pretty much all the reasons listed. If i had to choose I would say better for the baby and money savings would top the list.
We do have a budget. I am not sure exactly but I believe we are thinking that most people spend around $500-600 starting out. We think that is reasonably within our price range and depending on how crazy we get with the spending that budget could go up a few hundred dollars.
Looks like variety is key when it comes to starting out. I will have to make sure that we get a wide assortment of styles, sizes, fabrics, and brands of diapers.
All this feedback is very helpful and I appreciate it ladies
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are planning on getting some of our diapers through the baby shower/registry.
I am very fortunate and glad that we have a store locally. We went there for the first time a couple weeks ago and talked to the lady. She had some open diapers for us to try on a stuffed animal. We spent almost an hour talking to her about diapers and accessories. There is so much there. We did end up buying 3 newborn covers that were on clearance for around $4 a piece. We will also attend some of the classes that they offer.
As for people saying they use recieving blankets and t-shirts, are they using it for wipes or inserts? I am confused on that. Do they just cut them up and sew up the edges so they dont fray? We are going to use the cloth wipes as well and wondered if people mainly bought them or used materials from home.
As for detergents, does it make a big difference using the cloth diaper specific detergents?? Is there things that we need to do different for the washing routine? It seems like a lot of people hang dry their diapers. Does the dryer ruin the diapers? Also are fabric softeners ok?
We will most definitely take lots of pictures when our little one arrives. Only 6 1/2 more months!
FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
As for people saying they use recieving blankets and t-shirts, are they using it for wipes or inserts?
both! can repurpose them into prefolds, flats, wipes (flannel needs edges closed but tshirts don't/edges curl in).

Quote:
As for detergents, does it make a big difference using the cloth diaper specific detergents??
impt to use fragrance/additive/brightener/softener-FREE and low sudsing detergent. these ingredients might cause repelling issues or decrease absorbency, might also irritate baby's bum. see links for much thorough explanations:
http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-diaper-detergent.shtml
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Quote:
Is there things that we need to do different for the washing routine?
most basic wash routine is cold rinse, hot wash with 1/4 recomm detergent, double rinse. some prefer detergent in first cold rinse, some add oxyclean or alittle bleach, best to try basic routine and go from there. see link for more info: http://www.diaperjunction.com/cloth-...etergents.html

Quote:
Does the dryer ruin the diapers?
dryer on low doesn't ruin diapers, some use dryer w/no probs. some hang dry to save some $. mostly PUL waterproofing on pockets/AIO/AI2 as well as velcro/elastic show wear more quickly when machine dried. but if pockets/AIO/AI2 diaper are brand new, machine wash on hot and machine dry on hot 15 min or so once to prep diaper shell/cover.

Quote:
Also are fabric softeners ok?
popular softeners are not ok. some use vaska or ecover as softener especially with fitteds diapers that have denser fabric (cotton flannel soakers, some hemp and some bamboo blend diapers, it just depends). i have NOT personally used softeners so it'd be good to start a new thread about softeners!

Last edited by vansen19; 02-09-2013 at 09:24 AM.
vansen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
thoughtfulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dirty diaper laundry on YouTube has cloth 101 videos, so does adventures in fluff. Greenmountaindiapers is a wonderful source too!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #30
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am a newbie too and I looked on Facebook and found a local cd support page. They held a cd "snack and chat" and several ladies brought different types and used CDs to sell. It was a lot of fun and I really got to look at all different kinds. I decided to go with mostly flips with inserts and also get a few Nb fitters and covers and some aios for grandparents or days I'm feeling lazy. All of the ones I've gotten so far are used.
I also looked in YouTube a lot. I watched this series http://youtu.be/ipMmpJkB8L4 and it broke it down simply. She has 6 videos about cding
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote