Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #61
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
oh do share! i've only gotten one free trial and am clueless as to how to get anymore!! my 5y.o. struggling learner loves it, and my 3y.o. does it w/him. we simply can not afford it right now, but i really think it would help him!
No big secret...we got the free trial and they liked it, so I googled for Reading Eggs free codes. My son has done well and enjoys it! He told me today he's on map 8 now. He does it for 30 minutes a day, pretty much every weekday.

Advertisement

Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #62
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
No big secret...we got the free trial and they liked it, so I googled for Reading Eggs free codes. My son has done well and enjoys it! He told me today he's on map 8 now. He does it for 30 minutes a day, pretty much every weekday.
I did exactly what you did, but it only accepted 2 free codes saying they only allow 2 free access codes per account per year...my son has 70 free days, so if he is still enjoying it then, we will discuss paying to keep it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #63
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is reading eggs? I've seen it mentioned several times. I didn't realize it was a site, but it sounds like it is. Maybe I should pop over to my trusty friend Mr. Google and ask.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #64
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
What is reading eggs? I've seen it mentioned several times. I didn't realize it was a site, but it sounds like it is. Maybe I should pop over to my trusty friend Mr. Google and ask.
http://readingeggs.com/

My son loves the games. He took the test so it placed him and he placed on map 5. He was reading things I didn't know he could read on the test...I think he reads better to himself than to actually read out loud, or so it seemed on the test.

It is games/activities to help with reading.

Last edited by foggierbard9; 02-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.
foggierbard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #65
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
http://readingeggs.com/

My son loves the games. He took the test so it placed him and he placed on map 5. He was reading things I didn't know he could read on the test...I think he reads better to himself than to actually read out loud, or so it seemed on the test.

It is games/activities to help with reading.
Is it a full curriculum or just supplemental? I might look into this for my 5 year old daughter. She LOVES the computer. My 7 year old, not so much. The thing is, I can probably get away with not having my 7 year old have an account, but if Samantha has one, her twin brother will need one also. So, it would be a lot of money. Plus, we already upgraded the MFW K manual and I have the student pages. But, I'm still open to trying other things either in addition to or instead of the MFW K, especially if it is less teacher intensive.

For the free codes, maybe when your 70 days are up, you could get/use more then.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #66
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
I did exactly what you did, but it only accepted 2 free codes saying they only allow 2 free access codes per account per year...my son has 70 free days, so if he is still enjoying it then, we will discuss paying to keep it.
Really? Interesting. That's a bummer!! They must have changed things, because people used to get however much time they could by using free codes. I'm trying to remember how many times I've used a code. I know twice, but I was thinking three times. We still have time left on the current code. I wish there would be a Groupon or something for it. I get emails with special offers, but sonfar there haven't been any that are special enough to convince my DH. Lol
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #67
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Heather, I would say it's supplemental. The emails that I get almost always include a special offer of getting a second account at a cheaper rate too. There's a 14 day free trial (no code necessary ) if your kids wanted to try it.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #68
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Michelle. It looks like something my daughter would really enjoy. The second child is is always 50% off on the site. But, it is still pricey. I'll probably use the 14 day trail and then codes and then see how it is going from there.

I really love MFW, but I don't feel the phonics is advanced enough in K. It was perfect for my oldest who is/was slow and really not interested. Slow was perfect. But, my 5 year olds, almost K'ers, are ahead of what he was. So, while I've been moving ahead with the plan to do MFW K with them, I've struggled with wondering if it is the right program for them. Maybe adding this to it will be just what they need to bulk it up. Overall, I love MFW and we are planning to stick with them long term. I'm just not sure about their K for my other kids, especially Blake and Samantha since they will pretty much be only doing the phonics portion.)

Anyway, it's Saturday and already 10:15, but I'm planning to do something today. We didn't read the Bible reader with our last lesson, which was Monday. So, we need to do that and I'm hoping to get some math in. We need to get moving again since the house thing is moving along without much needed from us till later in the week.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #69
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that MFWK seems slow for phonics, with just the short vowels and then consonant sounds, but I have heard, and I hope it is true, that 1st grade really picks up and then when put together they are perfect.

With the reading eggs, my son is learning other sounds /sh/ for example. I wouldn't use it as a phonics curriculum by itself but with something else it seems really nice.

We will be doing school today since DS didn't want to do any yesterday, definitely enjoy this flexibility that we have rather than having to force him to do something.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #70
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MFW 1st definitely picks up fast. It eases in for a few days and then really takes off quickly. It actually feels too fast in the beginning after the review, but really, my son had no issues with it. (he is just a very slow reader with a bad attitude about reading because it doesn't come easily.) It was only too fast for me! LOL!! We are really enjoying the 1st program. I've enjoyed it more and more as we have gone along. I did toy with the idea of switching because was worried about Zack being "behind" since K was slow and he was really slow. I'm very glad I suck with MFW and will definitely be using the first program again with my youngers. (And, we are planning to stick with their family program long term. We are doing Adventures next year.)

I do want to do MFW K again with my youngers also because I feel like the foundation in blending that they get is really good. Plus, it's relaxed and I like that. But, the Reading Eggs program might give them the extra I think my soon to be K'ers will need.