Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
devon
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

and now I'm REALLY confused about using the top Tether. I've always gone by the 40 lb weight limit of the child for the LATCH (which, since I drive a Honda, seems to still hold). However, I've always used the top tether when FF. My almost 4 year old is 38 lbs and is lower anchored and top tethered. My 6 year old, 54 lb kiddo is in a Nautilus in the harness with a seatbelt install, top tether. Am I supposed to not use the top tether now also? If so, is it safe to still use a harnessed seat for him or do I need to move him to the booster? I don't think he is ready for a booster yet but I'm concerned about not using the top tether when harnessed.

And is it true that you should never use the top tether when using a HBB? We had been using the top tether with our older son (8) with the Nautilus in HBB mode. He is now in LBB mode so it's a moot point but I'd like to know.

Advertisement

devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
jjordan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,810
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon View Post
and now I'm REALLY confused about using the top Tether. I've always gone by the 40 lb weight limit of the child for the LATCH (which, since I drive a Honda, seems to still hold). However, I've always used the top tether when FF. My almost 4 year old is 38 lbs and is lower anchored and top tethered. My 6 year old, 54 lb kiddo is in a Nautilus in the harness with a seatbelt install, top tether. Am I supposed to not use the top tether now also? If so, is it safe to still use a harnessed seat for him or do I need to move him to the booster? I don't think he is ready for a booster yet but I'm concerned about not using the top tether when harnessed.

And is it true that you should never use the top tether when using a HBB? We had been using the top tether with our older son (8) with the Nautilus in HBB mode. He is now in LBB mode so it's a moot point but I'd like to know.
To the first question - you have raised a point of huge contention. As a CPST, I will say that the "official" answer is to follow your vehicle manufacturer's instructions regarding top tether use. But I will also say that, as far as I know, there have been NO documented cases of top tether failure, and further, even if a top tether anchor were to fail, it will have already absorbed one heck of a lot of energy before doing that. And finally I will add that I will ALWAYS use a top tether (unless the child seat specifically forbids it, as is the case for a Recaro Prosport with a kid over 52#) with my forward facing seats, regardless of my child's weight.

To the second question, it just depends on what the Nautilus manual says. I don't know offhand.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
craigwick's Avatar
craigwick
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: saskatchewan, canada
Posts: 886
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

I know in Canada, you have to use the tether regardless of whether you are using the lower anchors or seatbelt install. I have 2 Nautilus' and I plan to tether when I seatbelt install them tomorrow.

Just checked, the instructions say to use the tether if an anchor is available...but then I was reading the part that says what type of seatbelts not to use to install and it says the kind that lock up in quick stop or emergency shouldn't be used for carseat install?? WTH? That is all our van has. Plus, it said to always use a locking clip when the seatbelt has a latchplate that slides freely along the seatbelt (all our seats are like this as well).
__________________
H...mom to three silly girls, 7, 5 and brand new!!!
Plus two dogs, and oh yeah, DH!
craigwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #34
jess71903's Avatar
jess71903
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 6,595
My Mood:
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
To the first question - you have raised a point of huge contention. As a CPST, I will say that the "official" answer is to follow your vehicle manufacturer's instructions regarding top tether use. But I will also say that, as far as I know, there have been NO documented cases of top tether failure, and further, even if a top tether anchor were to fail, it will have already absorbed one heck of a lot of energy before doing that. And finally I will add that I will ALWAYS use a top tether (unless the child seat specifically forbids it, as is the case for a Recaro Prosport with a kid over 52#) with my forward facing seats, regardless of my child's weight.

To the second question, it just depends on what the Nautilus manual says. I don't know offhand.
This exactly, except that I am willing to use the TT in the ProSport beyond 52lbs. That's probably not going to be an issue, because DS is 10lbs from that at 5.5 years old.

PP with the daughter that unbuckles: First, I'd turn the buckle stalk 180 degrees, so the button is facing the seat.
__________________

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #35
Christylkeller's Avatar
Christylkeller
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 949
My Mood:
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
Personally I would do what my mom did, if any of us unbuckled while in motion she pulled over and refused to drive until we were buckled...but I'm not sure how your DD can reach the buckle? That said, our carseats (Nautilus) are quite high up so neither of my kids could make that reach thankfully! Though I suppose if there is a will, there is a way right? DD2 is 4.5 as well, and I let her ride in a booster 2 blocks to see if she could handle it, but she is nowhere near ready (she tried to slip out of the belt).
I often did not know when she did it. Sometimes, one of her brothers would catch her and we would pull over, but often we were at our destination unbuckling her before finding out what she did. She is VERY willful, so it doesn't surprise me that she can reach down and unbuckle her seat. And I do need to keep my eyes on the road, not constantly watching her to make sure she is leaving the buckle alone. We moved her seat from behind the drivers seat to behind the passenger seat in hopes that we would catch her actions sooner rather than later. She has definitely been my challenge. My boys NEVER messed with their seats!
__________________
Daughter of the Risen King, Loving wife to Joe,

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #36
Christylkeller's Avatar
Christylkeller
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 949
My Mood:
Re: new car seat guideline in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
PP with the daughter that unbuckles: First, I'd turn the buckle stalk 180 degrees, so the button is facing the seat.
Thanks! I will give that a try!
__________________
Daughter of the Risen King, Loving wife to Joe,

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.