Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
My Mood:
Re: Caffeine

When pregnant and nursing I have up to 3 cokes a day. It's well under the 200mg that is considered safe, and I usually left it at just one. I restrict more for the empty calorie factor than the caffeine, but I do love me the caffeine.

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Okay, you guys are making me feel better! Yes, I look up caffeine content and am well under my 200 mg limit. Most days, I have no caffeine at all. I think this is just one of those things that other people like to be critical about. I indulged a bit when I was pregnant with DS but I have indulged more with this one. Anyway, thank you all for the reassurance!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

I avoid it in the first trimester, but by mid-second I will have some. I have maybe one or two caffeinated drinks a week. I've never been a huge caffeine drinker though. Short of someone having several caffeinated beverages every single day, I doubt it's overly harmful at all, and especially after the first trimester. I did read once that the placenta doesn't stop it at all, so it goes straight to the baby. It makes me feel a tad guilty, but I haven't noticed any changes in the baby's behavior when I drink it.
Wife to E 10-29-05.
Mom to tougHGirl L 5-4-10
tougHGuy B 5-1-13

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

Everything in moderation. If I have coffee I get it 1/2 decaf and I don't drink any energy drinks. But I will drink tea and don't think twice about it and occassionally I will have a Coke Cola Classic with lunch.
Mama married to my soulmate and homebirth partner. I am a co-sleeping, , ing, babywearing, ERF, and delayed vaxing mama to two intact boys (6/2010) & (4/2013).
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a cup of coffee every morning - need to to wake up!
Then I usually have at least one glass of pepsi, sometimes 2, through the day (with meals).
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
Registered Users
My Mood:

How else am I supposed to get through my day?
"Fakt 48:
Facts still exist even if they are ignored." - Harvie Krumpet
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Registered Users
My Mood:

those links really surprised me.. apparantly regular brewed coffee is even worse than Starbucks!

ETA: I told my OB that drinking coffee seemed to put my baby to sleep and she was all 'yeah, prolly not, I doubt the baby even notices'

but mornings without coffee, baby is pretty active. Mornings with coffee... not as much. Of course.. to be fair.. the mornings that I drink coffee, it's usually because I'm busy and running around... so, maybe I'm just rocking baby to sleep
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 02-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
How else am I supposed to get through my day?
Ha, this is how I feel. I'm a caffeine addict, and I do cut back to a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe a soda in the afternoon when I'm pregnant, but no way I'm giving it up entirely. Seriously, no one wants to see that train wreck. I have no doubt that it's fine in moderation.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
Registered Users
My Mood:

I drank coffee through all of my pregnancies. Except when it made me sick.

I do drink a lot of iced tea, so I buy the Red Diamond Decaf tea bags and brew the decaf tea at home. I know it still has a little caffeine in it, but it's tiny in comparison to regular tea and coffee. But I still had coffee a couple times a week, and I didn't mind drinking caffeinated tea when we were out.

People judge, that's just life. Just realize that they have no power over you unless you let them, and your life is not relevant to them, so shake it off.

God bless!
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #30
Registered Users

I have 4 and one on the way and have never cut out caffeine during pregnancy. I'm not really much of an espresso drinker, but I do have about 2 cups of regular coffee per day. My kids are all very bright, healthy, athletic, etc. If the caffeine has affected them in some way, I can't figure out what it is. lol
As to the caffeine making the baby's heart rate go up, I'm not worried about that at all. When I was in labor with Hannah, her heart beat slowed down so the hospital gave me 2 ounces of apple juice (just regular apple juice). Her heart rate SHOT up! I couldn't believe the effect that 2 oz of regular apple juice had on her. If apple juice does that, I can't imagine coffee could be that much worse.
Becky ~ Modern Day Abolitionist and Mommy to Joshua (16), Benny (9), Gracie (8), Hannah (5) and baby boy due 6/15!

Save 15% on non-sale items at FRUGI, 100% organic and cut for cloth! Use code HARRIET
ifyousaygo is offline   Reply With Quote