Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What subjects will your child study?

Everyone in every grades does/will do Bible.

We don't do a formal pre-k, just whatever my kids ask to do and "school" work to keep them busy while doing it with the others. If they don't want to do it, they don't have to. Most days, I don't even offer unless they ask or are distracting us.

For K, we focus mostly on reading, handwriting and math. However, our curriculum also includes science which we follow very loosely.

For first, we have a very integrated program. It includes Bible, LA (reading, handwriting, grammar, literature, etc.), history, math, science, art and art appreciation, and intro to music. We are relaxed about the science and although we have a curriculum, we take more of an unschooling approach to science. We rarely do the art class. We do enjoy the art appreciation, but we do it randomly. Both art appreciation and music are VERY easy. Art appreciation is out of 2 books that we look at art in and it gives discussion questions. Music is with the Peter and the Wolf CD.

For second and above, I'm not here yet, so this is a best guess based on what I have planned....same as first, but I plan to add a PE/health (which I may add soon) type class and computer at some point. I'm not sure when we will add a foreign language.

For now, because of our life situation, we are relaxed HS'ers. We try very hard to get in phonics and math everyday, but we are pretty relaxed about the rest of it. Since Bible, history, handwriting and phonics is so integrated in 1st, we do get most of it most days, but do take off frequently. We school year round to accommodate as many days off as we need.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My main focus is reading then the others will be as follows.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingoffireflies

Is this what you do every year/age? Do you do one elective per year?
Yes. And we do 2 electives per year.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Language arts : literature, writing, grammar, spelling
math
science
history
Bible
Foreign language
elective(logic, health, etc)
Art/music
Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I didnt start anything formally until 1st. We do

Math
Spelling
Reading
Grammar
Writing/penmanship
Science/health(1semester of each in 1st and 2nd, 2 semesters science starting in 3rd)
History
Art(2-3days a week)

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote