Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
Brand new to gardening!

This is my first post in this forum, ever! So exciting. I am going to try reading other threads but I have specific questions and I'm so overwhelmed that I am going to ask and hope for some answers.

I've decided that we need a SMALL garden. We don't have a lot of space and I'm not entirely sure we have a green thumb in the family but, well, we'll see.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing container gardening. Either tomatoes or onions (family project, then possibly some herbs (for my personal project), a bean (for DS to have all to himself, in a sense, like science projects we did in school) and then some basic flowers for us to learn with. Simple stuff.

Buuut I am worried about start up cost. Is there any way I can do this frugally and without poisons? We actually have a small plot of *land* out there, a good garden size, but I don't trust the soil in the area so we can't do that. I own a pair of gloves and that's about it.

themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Brand new to gardening!

You can upcycle containers. You prob will want to purchase the bigger ones? Can you have your DH build a raised bed and bring in soil/compst? Raised bed are great options. Towers. You make a sort of pillar, living. Line fence with hay and add soil. As tall as you like. Great for potatoes, onions, ect. I want to try straw bale gardening. You steak down a bale, pull a section apart, add soild and plant, close it back and done. Perfect for tomatoes!

As far as supplies, all I really use is good gloves and a trowel. I mean, we have a tiller and stuff, but that on a big scale. I'm just sayin you should be fine. I do heirloom seeds from there are other places. I just love the selection, cs, prices, and it's all gm free. I can save my seeds for next year and no more money spent.

Start a small compost bin? You won't be buying fertiliser. That takes a little bit to get it cured though. But you can still start.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote