Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What was the thriftiest decision or change your family made?

I would say not getting stung by bank fees anymore. Even just a year ago we were in a stupid situation where we would let our account get overdrawn because there weren't enough funds in it and a direct debit would come out and we would get charged $35. It happened a lot over several accounts so if I added up all the money we paid in fees it would be a lot and we certainly couldn't afford it. One day I just realised how crazy it was and closed several accounts, now we only have 2 and we never let them get so low that they are overdrawn. We switched to a different bank that only charges $9 if it did happen.

Paying off the credit card.

Shopping used for everything.

eta how could I forget Cable - that one is huge we were paying anything from $60 minimum up to $150 at one point per month - what were we thinking!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by clothlover8; 02-10-2013 at 04:36 AM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #22
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to minimize my impulse shopping - which includes online. Amazon prime? Yes it's convienant, but I also find myself spending more because its one or two things here or there. Same with sites that offer free shipping at XX dollars (hi, diapers.com, I'm looking at you.). Overnight Dipes are 40-something, so I have to find something that's under $10 to add to my cart and I usually and up spending $60 or more. If I remember to pick them up at the store, I spend just that $40-something that I had budgeted.

I buy chicken and beef in bulk and can it, making it shelf stable for two years instead of freezer safe for six months.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #23
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
Being content with what we have and very thankful for what we are given. This has allowed us to never want more and feel extremely blessed for what we are given. Oh and totally use it up, wear it out and if possible do with out
Ditto
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Selling our pretty underwater mortgaged house with a $2490 house payment to buy an ugly large foreclosed farmhouse with a $600 mortgage. Oh and selling our pretty cars that equaled 750 a month in car payment to one used ugly but dependable for cash.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Db

Last edited by ulawolf; 02-10-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tp

Last edited by ulawolf; 02-10-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Some mama sent me the wrong pp addy and asked me to cancel and resend. I did and pp said they were sending $ back to my bank account but they didn't and my bank gave me a $35 overdraft grrrr PayPal refused to call my bank and my bank will not take off the charge unless PayPal calls them. I'm so pissed that my $70 item is now costing me $105
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Making a commitment early on in our marriage to NEVER finance anything ever again! I know sooo many people who are making 2 car payments, a boat payment (we have 100 lakes in our county), furniture payments, credit card payments, etc. Dh and I make 25-50% less than most of our friends and we live just as well and when we were all younger (thus making even less than we do now) we were often the only ones who could come up with larger amounts of cash at a moments notice (500-1000). We financed a used car for dh last year (exactly one year ago and I hate that payment) and realized it was the first time in 20 years (our 20yo was an infant) we'd made a car payment. We will pay the car off this year and have recommitted to never financing anything ever again. Dh should have waited a year (until now) before he bought something.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #29
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cooking at home. Going to one vehicle.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

I have been married for 15 years and we have made very little money all this time, yet we somehow manage to reduce debt and live within our means.

I just have to recommend the movie "Happy". It's a documentary of the science of happiness. The most striking statistic on that movie is that wether you make $50,000 a year or $500,000,000 a year, your happiness does not change. We made our teenagers watch the movie as well.

A few things that help us:

We own 2 junky cars. We purchased them used. They are both Hondas and pretty reliable. We have zero car payments.

We are back and forth on tv service. We cancelled our satellite again in November so we could pay the more necessary bills.

I coupon so that we pay very little for food and Health and beauty items. Not only that, I get to help out a friend in need with the free and cheap Items I aquire.

I sell on eBay. Mostly stuff Just sitting around the house that we no longer use. I have also started looking for high quality items at thrift stores to sell for a profit.

Decluttering has made me money lately. I purged all if our CDs and the majority of our books. I got rid of a few DVDs. So far I have made over $100. That's not including the check from the used book store they will be mailing me next week.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum