Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #171
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
I am having 1st world problems today lol

DH decided he wants to put the entire tax refund on the truck......which takes care of a little more than half the note and does not help us in the short term. We are still discussing it, but I want to pay off his cc which puts 125 back into the budget immediately, and there is still plenty left over to put towards the truck, or another cc. Right now we dont have much breathing room and it would make me feel more secure to not have to count pennies at the end of the month.

Am I right here? What do I say to win him over?
you're absolutely right. I bet your cc has higher interest too.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #172
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 4 - Feb 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
I am having 1st world problems today lol

DH decided he wants to put the entire tax refund on the truck......which takes care of a little more than half the note and does not help us in the short term. We are still discussing it, but I want to pay off his cc which puts 125 back into the budget immediately, and there is still plenty left over to put towards the truck, or another cc. Right now we dont have much breathing room and it would make me feel more secure to not have to count pennies at the end of the month.

Am I right here? What do I say to win him over?
I would pay off the smaller ones and free up the money.

AFM, groceries are killing us. I didn't even buy anything crazy. I did buy about 40 pork chops for freezer meals. But that was only $30 of the bill-they were on a great sale for boneless chops. And I made 9 freezer meals out of them. So now I have basil/balsamic pork chops, citrus pork chops, Honey Garlic pork chops, Bourbon street pork chops, and Schwenkabraten all in the freezer. I need to start stocking the freezer before my surgery next month. I was pretty impressed though because I had ALL of the other ingredients in the house and I literally only had to buy the pork to do 9 meals. IDK, it just seems like groceries have gone up so much I can't stay on budget. I've only got about $70 left in my envie for the whole month and we have 2/3 of the month left. Other than that I really only bought produce and milk/eggs. My bill was $100. Then we've all been sick and we ran out of decongestant and cough meds. Getting meds for all of us ran $60. We're feeling some better today but we're all still tired.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #173
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post

I would pay off the smaller ones and free up the money.

AFM, groceries are killing us. I didn't even buy anything crazy. I did buy about 40 pork chops for freezer meals. But that was only $30 of the bill-they were on a great sale for boneless chops. And I made 9 freezer meals out of them. So now I have basil/balsamic pork chops, citrus pork chops, Honey Garlic pork chops, Bourbon street pork chops, and Schwenkabraten all in the freezer. I need to start stocking the freezer before my surgery next month. I was pretty impressed though because I had ALL of the other ingredients in the house and I literally only had to buy the pork to do 9 meals. IDK, it just seems like groceries have gone up so much I can't stay on budget. I've only got about $70 left in my envie for the whole month and we have 2/3 of the month left. Other than that I really only bought produce and milk/eggs. My bill was $100. Then we've all been sick and we ran out of decongestant and cough meds. Getting meds for all of us ran $60. We're feeling some better today but we're all still tired.
If your constantly struggling I would up the budget. We finally had to. I was tired of feeling like we are constantly failing. When reality was I just needed a bigger budget . Hugs

We are struggling with savings. We are trying to pay off mortgage and save but emergencies keep popping up. Driving 9 hours round drip every weekend to see my mom in cleveland has more than tripled our gas budget and out to eat budget. Medical bills are up due to sickness and surgeries. Our medical budget for the year is hurting because it's knew and we didn't have but a, few thousand left over.
I thought paying off the debt would make life easier but man I feel more stress when I have to touch the savings than ever.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #174
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I feel like we are really getting our Dave Ramsey butts kicked. DH's OT has taken a nosedive. We have decided that since they have announced that there will be bonuses, we ar going to wait until he gets great bonus before he jumps ship. And given that the comapny just announced a huge new project, we are VERY hopeful that the OT will be picking back up quickly.

So we are just trying to squeak by right now. Again. It is vey frustrating.
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #175
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

I agree that the cc should come first.. Smaller debts first... Maybe you could lay out month by month how it will help for your DH?

Got the word from TurboTax our refund will be sent over to the IRS on Feb 14th. DH and I sat down and discussed his dying want for data and a smartphone. We are going to switch to Ting mobile prepaid from Verizon. The deal is no datausage for the first 4 months to recoup theVerizon termination fee. After that we will be paying equal to or less than verizon current bill. Heis using his $200 spending blow money from theta return for a smartphone. I am going to use a Sprint phone I got in a trade... My spending blow money is going to a Kindle Fire HD 7 and a keyboard folio for it. I am so excited! We will also be funding the bet, our sinking funds for the year and putting $1k to our car principal. After this month we have the car note andmy student loans ( which are in deferment till 2015) left debt wise!!

I am getting a homebuyers want right now (we have always rented). I need to read on DR to see the cash for mortagage vs. Downpayment % vs. 15 year mortgage.
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #176
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
If your constantly struggling I would up the budget. We finally had to. I was tired of feeling like we are constantly failing. When reality was I just needed a bigger budget . Hugs

We are struggling with savings. We are trying to pay off mortgage and save but emergencies keep popping up. Driving 9 hours round drip every weekend to see my mom in cleveland has more than tripled our gas budget and out to eat budget. Medical bills are up due to sickness and surgeries. Our medical budget for the year is hurting because it's knew and we didn't have but a, few thousand left over.
I thought paying off the debt would make life easier but man I feel more stress when I have to touch the savings than ever.
We majorly upped the budget when dh went gluten free, and I started trying to loose weight, which was about the same time we became debt free and finished the EF. We had decided that since we are back in debt again it needed to be cut again. We used to do $200 a month for our family of 3. Then when we upped it we went $400. We'll we decided to compromise and go $250. But last month I ended up using $50 of my gas and scrounging around from all the other budgets to cover it. And here we are 10 days into the month and I've spent almost $200 already. I know I can do better I just need to. I have dry beans soaking on the counter right now. I needed canned beans for soup this week, but realized that I could get dry beans for 1/3 the price so dry beans it is. It's just hard for me sometimes. I want to do all these great money saving things, but I"m also working full time, and have to cook most things from scratch so dh can eat them. But I guess for a while we'll be using even less convenience food than we already were.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #177
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

working on saving up the EF. DH was supposed to do that when he had the finances, but he didn't smh. so, i'm doing it now. don't think we will even come CLOSE to having enough saved up for our taxes in April, but I'm gonna try to get as much as possible. I may have to either work out payment plan w/IRS or put it on a CC. depends on where I get the best interest rate. Seems like last time I had to do this, the CC had the better interest rate. Most of our CCs have really low rates. Even though we owe a LOT of $$, we pay on time, so our interest rates are always really low.

been selling things like a crazy woman LOLOL. It's not much....$30 here...$40 there...but it all helps. $50 of what I made this week will go to DH this week for his spending $$. On our new budget he gets $50/week for his gas and spending. I told him if he couldn't make it on that, then to drink his can of Suck It Up

so while it looks bleak, we are on the way!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #178
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
working on saving up the EF. DH was supposed to do that when he had the finances, but he didn't smh. so, i'm doing it now. don't think we will even come CLOSE to having enough saved up for our taxes in April, but I'm gonna try to get as much as possible. I may have to either work out payment plan w/IRS or put it on a CC. depends on where I get the best interest rate. Seems like last time I had to do this, the CC had the better interest rate. Most of our CCs have really low rates. Even though we owe a LOT of $$, we pay on time, so our interest rates are always really low.

been selling things like a crazy woman LOLOL. It's not much....$30 here...$40 there...but it all helps. $50 of what I made this week will go to DH this week for his spending $$. On our new budget he gets $50/week for his gas and spending. I told him if he couldn't make it on that, then to drink his can of Suck It Up

so while it looks bleak, we are on the way!
You're more generous than I
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #179
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
You're more generous than I
bahahaha! I am giving him $35/week for gas. He drives a hybrid that gets 40mpg. He is a real estate appraiser, so he puts tons of miles on his vehicle every yr, but that comes w/the job. I told him that $50 included his gas. So he gets $15/week to get soda, eat out, etc. I told him if he goes over that $15 in stuff, that his can of Suck It Up would be waiting for him. I told him that if he wanted to go to lunch w/his friends, that was fine as long as I didn't see that $$ come out of our acct or if his friends bought. I told him he could pretend he was the kids and me and eat at home He gave me this very shocked look, said OK, took his $50, and walked away I think I made my point
Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #180
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
We majorly upped the budget when dh went gluten free, and I started trying to loose weight, which was about the same time we became debt free and finished the EF. We had decided that since we are back in debt again it needed to be cut again. We used to do $200 a month for our family of 3. Then when we upped it we went $400. We'll we decided to compromise and go $250. But last month I ended up using $50 of my gas and scrounging around from all the other budgets to cover it. And here we are 10 days into the month and I've spent almost $200 already. I know I can do better I just need to. I have dry beans soaking on the counter right now. I needed canned beans for soup this week, but realized that I could get dry beans for 1/3 the price so dry beans it is. It's just hard for me sometimes. I want to do all these great money saving things, but I"m also working full time, and have to cook most things from scratch so dh can eat them. But I guess for a while we'll be using even less convenience food than we already were.
grocery budgets can be hard to juggle week to week esp if you are on a special diet. and esp if you are trying to cut out/eliminate convenience foods, you not only have to budget the $$ but the time as well. part of it may also be that some of the things are initial expenses, but may not be every day/week expenses. for example, if you have to buy a gluten free baking mix or rice flour, you may not need that every week, but it's a huge hit on the week you have to buy it. just keep tweeking it and eventually you'll get it