Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why are yeast infections so common?

yeast isn't just imbalance of things for girl..., too many loose stools can do it too. only had two caeses one from meds but expected and one from loose stools and lots of days of them. i looked up how babies get & thats what i found out.

Advertisement

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 02-10-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~

I have been cloth diapering for most of 22 years. I never,ever disinfected my diapers. My only child who got yeast was just sickly to begin with (the only time he got antibiotics was on the 2 occasions that he almost died, but he already had horrible thrush when he took them, no yeast was caused from them). I don't bleach my diapers, I generally only use eco laundry detergent. I have never thought of cloth diapering as being a lot of work. Maybe we are just lucky,though!
I didn't say cloth diapering is a lot of work, I said if yeast gets in them disinfecting them is a lot of work. When I tried GSE and TTO over bleach with my first child, it never worked. Bleach and UV rays have helped us, but I find the process tedious because I rinse everything so many times.

Everyone's experiences and medical decisions for their families are going to vary. I am a single working mother to two small children, I have a hard time keeping up and really dislike disinfecting when we get yeast and don't want my children to suffer from a reoccurrence., I'm not sure why but I am feeling judged by your comment, like it is wrong for me to give my child medication and not want to deal with yeast infected diapers? When my son gets his prescription the doctor prescribes alongside it nystatin and probiotics because it is known to cause yeast. he is allergic to many medications, and if I'm juggling work and sick kids it is easier for me to do disposables for a few days, what's so wrong with that? Not all antibiotics cause yeast (reframprocin for TB never gave my daughter a problem in 9 months on it, during which time she was in cloth, even during her surgery she was in cloth! ) but others antibiotics do. I've only been blessed with my children for four years, but I still feel that is enough experience to weigh in on this question. I can only hope that the health of our family will be as fortunate as yours has in the future, having nearly lost my daughter 2 years ago, I am feeling blessed that DSs biggest challenge has been 2 ear infections in 2 years! DD will suffer the rest of her life from immune system problems, but you'd never know it if you met her!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
Alexismarie
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Over use of antibiotics, Poor diet, lower immune system. Repeat infections because of symptomatic treatment. Because it is simply beaten back but not gone a flare up happens when the immune system is again compromised.

Successful treatment is up for debate. A healthy diet low in processed foods, sweets, and no antibiotics helps.
Agree. I was raised on a macrobiotic diet & am still on a modified macro diet. We haven't gotten yeast yet.
I believe it everything has to do with your diet,...but there are always exceptions.
Alexismarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just thought I'd throw this thought out there. Yeast is in the air. (You can actually catch yeast and make a sourdough starter.) Some people/babies are more susceptible to yeast infections. A male can have a "yeast infection" and have very little effects. Good handwashing is essential as I consider everyone to be infected with yeast. Most people have a good amount of bacteria (the good kind) and ph that the yeast doesn't cause them any ill effects. A baby however may have an overgrowth and that is what a yeast infection is(too much yeast grows and is not kept in check by our bodies natural flora.)
Poor diet, antibiotics, week immune, continued exposure, all factor in.
DD has not had a yeast infection. DS got one at Daycare when he was a baby in sposies. (He got a rash and thrush... There were other kids there with thrush too.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has gotten it twice. Once was in his 2end month and once just recently at 3 years old only wearing nighttime diapers.

This first time around I always blamed it on leaving him in a KL0, cotton fitted, all night. This time I learned that it started with a normal diaper rash, I tried something new and it chaffed him. The yeast then was able to grow in the broken skin.

to prevent. reduce normal diaper rash and keep a good bacterial balance in the system. (using greek yogurt or probiotic, etc)
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou

I didn't say cloth diapering is a lot of work, I said if yeast gets in them disinfecting them is a lot of work. When I tried GSE and TTO over bleach with my first child, it never worked. Bleach and UV rays have helped us, but I find the process tedious because I rinse everything so many times.

Everyone's experiences and medical decisions for their families are going to vary. I am a single working mother to two small children, I have a hard time keeping up and really dislike disinfecting when we get yeast and don't want my children to suffer from a reoccurrence., I'm not sure why but I am feeling judged by your comment, like it is wrong for me to give my child medication and not want to deal with yeast infected diapers? When my son gets his prescription the doctor prescribes alongside it nystatin and probiotics because it is known to cause yeast. he is allergic to many medications, and if I'm juggling work and sick kids it is easier for me to do disposables for a few days, what's so wrong with that? Not all antibiotics cause yeast (reframprocin for TB never gave my daughter a problem in 9 months on it, during which time she was in cloth, even during her surgery she was in cloth! ) but others antibiotics do. I've only been blessed with my children for four years, but I still feel that is enough experience to weigh in on this question. I can only hope that the health of our family will be as fortunate as yours has in the future, having nearly lost my daughter 2 years ago, I am feeling blessed that DSs biggest challenge has been 2 ear infections in 2 years! DD will suffer the rest of her life from immune system problems, but you'd never know it if you met her!
Ive never had to deal with my kids having yeast (knock on wood). But I agree with you about bleach. If I did deal with yeast in cloth dipes, I would bleach them for sure. The times I have used bleach (mainly buying used diapers), I rinse them several times. It is a lot of "work" imo to make sure the water runs clear and free of bubbles. Normally when I use even a small amt of bleach I have to wash one extra time and rinse an extra time as well. My old washer was not like that. It could wash and rinse everything easily bc it filled to the brim. The one i have now is the size of a post it note. To me, it is a lot of work...same as prepping is a lot of work.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

DD has had yeast only once. I'm not 100% sure why, but at the time I was battling stinky diapers and she had a slight rash for a week or so, then it turned into yeast. She wasn't on antibiotics or sick, so I guess it was from that time period of battling funk.

As soon as the pedi told me it was yeast I bought a pack of sposies and bleached all my diapers. I like sposies during yeast because I don't want to get the prescribed cream on cloth, and also so I don't have to keep treating cloth with every wash. When the rash has been clear for a week I use cloth again, then use bleach or GSE in the wash for a few days to make sure it doesn't reaccur.

There were 2 other times where she started getting red again and I though she had yeast so I bought sposies lol, but it was just irritation.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #28
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I just thought I'd throw this thought out there. Yeast is in the air. (You can actually catch yeast and make a sourdough starter.) Some people/babies are more susceptible to yeast infections. A male can have a "yeast infection" and have very little effects. Good handwashing is essential as I consider everyone to be infected with yeast. Most people have a good amount of bacteria (the good kind) and ph that the yeast doesn't cause them any ill effects. A baby however may have an overgrowth and that is what a yeast infection is(too much yeast grows and is not kept in check by our bodies natural flora.)
Poor diet, antibiotics, week immune, continued exposure, all factor in.
DD has not had a yeast infection. DS got one at Daycare when he was a baby in sposies. (He got a rash and thrush... There were other kids there with thrush too.)
*Freaks out and holds breath*
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post

I was not judging at all. I read your comment as that cloth diapers needed to be sanitized *in general* to prevent yeast, and that it was hard work. I was just sharing that I am too lazy to sanitize diapers & we have had no ill effects LOL. My comment regarding antibiotics was in regard to *other posters comments* that yeast was due to antibiotics. I was in way judging you. I am pretty anti-antibiotics, but have absolutely used them in moderation, when I felt they were warranted.
I have even used disposables. In large quantities. I assure you, I was in no way judging you.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~ View Post
I assure you, I was in no way judging you.
Thanks. I did get 4 non-consecutive hours of sleep last night, so I'm a touch exhausted today and probably overly sensitive

Not every antibiotic causes yeast, but some do, it is a valid question to ask doctors when they are writing a prescription though, because if it can be avoided with probiotics and dietary changes then everyone is better off for it.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote