Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Placenta encapsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph&Ella View Post
I have never done it before but am going to this time for sure. While I have heard that it is easy to do myself, I have decided to hire a certified professional to do it for me. I just can't see adding that to my "to do" list in the first few days after the baby was born.
I had a friend do the steaming/slicing (with me supervising, lol) and then I did the dehydrating/encapsulating. I took the light-on-labor part and she did the heavy lifting. lol

Advertisement

Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Maybe I haven't been taking mine right but I haven't noticed a difference. Or maybe my emotional issues are so much that the placenta pills are just too "weak" to help me.
How many are you taking a day? I've read to take 3 twice a day and if you have ppd history take 3/3 times a day I've never suffered from ppd but I noticed a difference when I didn't take the pills. I got really emotional and just wanted to cry, lol!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
How many are you taking a day? I've read to take 3 twice a day and if you have ppd history take 3/3 times a day I've never suffered from ppd but I noticed a difference when I didn't take the pills. I got really emotional and just wanted to cry, lol!
I was trying to take two, twice a day, but I heard not to take them too late in the day b/c then I might not be able to sleep at night. If I take three, three times a day, then I'll run out but still "need" them.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
mommabullfrog
Registered Users

I had mine encapsulated by my birthing coach. It was amazing. She also is a natural health practitioner, and so a couple hours after my birth we spoke on the phone and she learned about my experience. Because I ended up with an emergency C-section, she added herbs to the pills to 1. promote healing and 2. prevent UTIs from my catheter. This also made the pills stretch farther!

It was my first birth, so I'm not sure what would have happened without the pills. I had an excellent post partum period. No PPD, no baby blues. They didn't help with my milk production, however. My milk never really came in, despite nursing exclusively for three weeks. I attribute that to my C-section though, and to the fact that my baby was on an IV for three days before I was able to nurse. I was pumping during that period, but it just wasn't the same.

I would definitely do it again. If nothing else, they gave me SO much energy! I was up and around within a week after the surgery, healed well, and I definitely noticed a difference when I forgot to take a pill. I'm a bit sad that I've run out
mommabullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am 3 days postpartum now, DH cut and dehydrated mine, I ground and encapsulated it. I would caution against using herbs unless you know they are compatible with you - a safer bet would be to encapsulate the placenta and take separate herbs with it if desired.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
Feronia
Registered Users
seller

Have any vegans or vegetarians eaten their placenta? I've been vegan for 12 years and I'm worried about it hurting my stomach since I haven't eaten any sort of flesh in so long. Right now my placenta is sitting in my freezer while I decide what to do with it, lol.
Feronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronia View Post
Have any vegans or vegetarians eaten their placenta? I've been vegan for 12 years and I'm worried about it hurting my stomach since I haven't eaten any sort of flesh in so long. Right now my placenta is sitting in my freezer while I decide what to do with it, lol.
I've been vegetarian, sometimes vegan, for about 12 years as well and I am planning on eating my placenta. I hadn't thought about this, but I'm guessing with it being dehydrated and in pill form it won't be a big deal, especially if you take them with food.

Once or twice over the years I have accidentally taken a couple of bites of something with meat in it and never had a stomach problem from it.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Feronia
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
I've been vegetarian, sometimes vegan, for about 12 years as well and I am planning on eating my placenta. I hadn't thought about this, but I'm guessing with it being dehydrated and in pill form it won't be a big deal, especially if you take them with food.

Once or twice over the years I have accidentally taken a couple of bites of something with meat in it and never had a stomach problem from it.
Thanks! If I decide to go through with it then I'll let you know how it goes. One more question if anyone knows: would I still get many benefits from eating my placenta at 2 months postpartum? I didn't have postpartum depression and I feel great, I just want to know if it would still be super helpful at this point or whether I should just bury it under a tree.
Feronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have decided to do mine. Ordering my 00 capsules on amazon along with some other items. DH said he would help me no big deal. He just wants to make sure that I don't have any other mental issues.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #30
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Just brought this up with DH and he said 'please don't tell me if you do that'
My DH was SO creeped out by it, too. He very willingly reminded the nurses to put it in the cooler and then brought it home though. Such a trooper!

This was my first time encapsulating my placenta. (I had it done by a professional service here in Michigan ). I had never done it before and I had postpartum depression with my second. This time around, I had a wonderful postpartum period. I ended up not needing all of my pills and still have some left in the fridge.
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote