Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you limit food intake?

I don't tell them they can't eat if they are hungry. But honestly, I would cut out some of the carbs and add in snacks that have more protein. The protein will hold him over more, leaving him satisfied longer.

But no, if my kids eat 3 servings at dinner, then they eat 3 servings at dinner. Although wow, now I understand why my parents said that my sister and I were going to eat them out of house and home!

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

How about sunbutter, mama? Lots of good fat and protein there, and it's a seed (not a nut).
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
How about sunbutter, mama? Lots of good fat and protein there, and it's a seed (not a nut).
I will have to have him tested first. He has a severe sesame allergy. Sunflower has never been tested though
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I used to not limit food but I've had to lately for my 3 year old. She is overweight (38 pounds, 39 inches) and she is getting pretty pudgy. So now if she's hungry it's fruit or veggie unless it's meal time.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
My oldest (5) eats SO MUCH. 3-4 helpings at dinner. I make very healthy, well-rounded meals, but I still wonder if I should be limiting how much he eats. I certainly don't want him to be hungry. He has breakfast (usually 2 bowls of whole grain cereal...nothing sugary), a snack at school (actual item varies, but I trust her), a lunch that we pack (lunchable--that's his treat, apple or applesauce, fruit snacks, juice, a cracker item (teddy grahams, animal crackers)), then a snack at home (varies, but usually fruit) and dinner. I always use cauliflower or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, limit pastas, etc. Is it "safe" to let him eat til he's full??
Do you always do lunchables? Those are really high in sodium. Maybe you could make your own? I would also replace some of the sugar and carbs. Veggies instead of fruit snacks, something to replace the cracker item since you probably already have crackers in the lunchable. For breakfast maybe limit the cereal to one bowl and add a piece of fruit? If you're worried I would just do unlimited veggie and fruits, no seconds on anything starchy/carbs. I would up the protein too.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with some of these ideas - making sure there's enough healthy fat and protein so the body is satisfied and making your kids hold off for 15 minutes or so to see if they're still really hungry.

My kiddos aren't that voracious, but there are times when they will keep telling me they're hungry. Sometimes I think it's a ploy to get dessert, so I'll offer seconds, thirds, of something else healthy, and they'll decide they don't want anything. Also, it could just be that they're thirsty - try water! If I've made a big meal and there's nothing left I won't start something else, especially if everything is cleaned up - it's not a restaurant! I may tell them to wait until the next meal.

My son would just keep eating fruit if I let him, and while it IS healthy, it does have natural sugar in it so I try to curb that habit. I'd rather balance it out with nuts, cheese, veggies, whatever.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda

Do you always do lunchables? Those are really high in sodium. Maybe you could make your own? I would also replace some of the sugar and carbs. Veggies instead of fruit snacks, something to replace the cracker item since you probably already have crackers in the lunchable. For breakfast maybe limit the cereal to one bowl and add a piece of fruit? If you're worried I would just do unlimited veggie and fruits, no seconds on anything starchy/carbs. I would up the protein too.
Reading the op I was thinking something similar to this. We don't limit healthy food but I do watch what they eat and try to limit the carbs and sugar
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never limited food. But, honestly, if you think he's getting too heavy, it would be better to limit a little bit. Don't micromanage, just be more selective with what you have. If he's still hungry, and all he seems to want is butter bread and macaroni, make sure you don't have much left over. "We are out of macaroni, but we still have green beans and fruit".

I didn't read any responses, so if it's been said already, ignore me.

What he's eating, sounds normal to me. Most kids will eat a lot at one meal, and not as much at the other meals. Lunch at school is hard to finish because of time. So, when he gets home he's starving. I remember being so hungry when I got home. We'd eat a PBJ, and then go outside to play.

He should be able to eat until he's full, unless he's sitting in front of the tv, computer or Ipod.

Remember, kids are sitting down in school a lot. They still get to move some, but they are sitting a lot more than we did. They get a ride from home to school and back. There isn't as much playtime as there was 25 years ago, so the food we make/buy/prepare needs to reflect that.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Do you always do lunchables? Those are really high in sodium. Maybe you could make your own?
Those home made lunchables are actually fun to make. I HATE packing lunches... HATE it. But, I actually got into the homemade lunchables. It was like a game after a while. Turns out, it's alllll about the container. Not so much the food in it.

http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=homemade+lunchables

But, if he likes the store bought ones, let him have them sometimes. I don't think it's the end of the world.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 02-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I limit, in the sense that if we just ate a meal half of an hour ago, I will not let DS get a snack (especially if he ate well at the meal). I also limit milk and junk food, although I try to keep the junk in our house to a minimum b/c if I don't we run into an issue with sneaking food, but that is a whole different problem. Otherwise, at meals he can eat however much he wants to. DS is not very active, though, and is slightly chubby, so we are trying to watch his weight. With a skinny kid, I wouldn't limit at all. If DS was an average weight, I wouldn't limit anything.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 02-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote