Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone get a second degree or change careers?

I am planning on leaving teaching to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. I don't have to get a whole new degree, and will still put mu M.Ed. to good use. After this horrible year I have had, I need to reevaluate if I still ever want to teach again. So, I am taking it as a sign to take those last classes for my BCBA.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom View Post
I am planning on leaving teaching to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. I don't have to get a whole new degree, and will still put mu M.Ed. to good use. After this horrible year I have had, I need to reevaluate if I still ever want to teach again. So, I am taking it as a sign to take those last classes for my BCBA.
How long have you been teaching so far? I remember feeling similarly in my first few years.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Bluebox
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got my BS in sociology and worked in law enforcement for 10 year and hated it. I went back to get my BSN and now I am an RN in a NICU. I'm so glad I made the switch. I paid for it all with financial aid and had no problems. If you can do an accelerated program in your area I would recommend that.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox
I got my BS in sociology and worked in law enforcement for 10 year and hated it. I went back to get my BSN and now I am an RN in a NICU. I'm so glad I made the switch. I paid for it all with financial aid and had no problems. If you can do an accelerated program in your area I would recommend that.
Did you get grants? What sort of financial aid was available to you as someone who already had a BS?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm hoping to go to grad school once the kids are a little older. Thankfully grad school is almost always free in my field. But I worry about how the heck I will find the time to do it all and to do well.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNsis View Post
How long have you been teaching so far? I remember feeling similarly in my first few years.
It is my 6th year. Last year I had a wonderful year. This year I switched districts and it has been awful. The administration is horrible and I have dealt with high levels of teenage violence and substance addiction all year. I am exhausted and feeling very cynical right now. Can't say that I will never go back to teaching. I love the kids but all the red tape and politics is making me want to reevaluate.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My BA was in theater, I went back for an MA in religion and performance studies - used federal loans to help support myself and my dd (was single mom then). Then i got a phd in anthropology. Most phd programs pay a stipend. Had I skipped the MA I would have zero student debt.

I have friends who went back for science related fields after getting degrees in social sciences or humanities. One of them had to get a whole new BS. He did as much as he could at a community college, then switched. Not sure now but then and when I was in school it didn't matter if you had a degree already or not - you were still eligible for loans.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism
My BA was in theater, I went back for an MA in religion and performance studies - used federal loans to help support myself and my dd (was single mom then). Then i got a phd in anthropology. Most phd programs pay a stipend. Had I skipped the MA I would have zero student debt.

I have friends who went back for science related fields after getting degrees in social sciences or humanities. One of them had to get a whole new BS. He did as much as he could at a community college, then switched. Not sure now but then and when I was in school it didn't matter if you had a degree already or not - you were still eligible for loans.
Oh yes, you can always get a loan, it's just the type of loan . After getting my BM, I went to culinary school. Because I already had a bachelors, I was only eligible for annoyingly high rate private loans.

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

Looks like I'm in good company mamas!

I have a bachelors in legal studies and will be starting an accelerated bsn program in the fall to become an rn. I'm scarred!!!! It's a 16m program, 16months of pure hell! Lol but when I am done I will have another bachelors degree and be able to sit for my boards. I am able to take most ofmy pre-reqs through nursing abc. A 4 credit class is only $680 so that's helping out in the money department. I am taking out personal loans through my credit union to pay for school though

Last edited by DiaperPalz; 02-21-2013 at 11:24 PM.
DiaperPalz is offline   Reply With Quote