Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our gastroenterologist states as long as they stay on a growth curve it's fine if the fall off the curve. Then you should consider increasing nutrition., feelings, calories.

It's ok for a child to sit in the 3rd percentile as long as he stays there. Different babies are different sizes.

Advertisement

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Three of my four kiddos are longer than they are chubby. DD3 was a preemie at 32 weeks, has always been long and thin (though you can't see her ribs) but even now at 19 months and in the 70% people still remark how tiny she is, she eats nonstop. DS is 7 weeks, at his last weight check (5weeks) he had gained barely a pound since birth but grew 1 1/2inches, you can see his ribs. DH is the shrimp in his family at 6 foot, he had 3 brothers 6'4" and taller, he says you could count all their ribs until they were in their 20s, and they ate everything in sight! I have multiple cousins, uncles and a grandfather that were all 6'3" and taller (with huge feet that all my kids have inherited, DD2 is 9 and wears an 8 1/2 in womens). Our pediatrician says the long and lean count your ribs skinny gene is very dominant
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "He's so skinny!" and "He's so tiny!"

Being a petite mama to a couple petite and thin kids, my response to people that say things like that is "Nope, he's just perfect!"

ETA: If he's acting fine, looks OK, eats healthy food choices, and is active I wouldn't worry.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Babybird4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD1 has always been tiny and she's fine. She's been n the first % since 12 mo and now at 3.5yrs she is just at 26lb. She stays steady at 1 % and hasn't dropped so there is no worry. My pedi once said "someone has to be in that first %"

April, mommy to Haylea (8/18/09), Hannah (5/22/11) and baby Hogan (12/12/12) *sent from my iPhone*
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

9 month check up 16lbs9oz
1 year check up 16lbs0oz, started to lose speech development

That's a problem. He literally looked like one of those starving children in Africa, except without the distended belly.

If your guy is growing, even slowly, and gaining developmentally it's probably fine. I worried a lot about it too, but in the end the real concern was that he was on a curve, and then fell off, then he regressed with speech as he lost weight.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.

Last edited by yellowitchgrl; 02-11-2013 at 07:59 AM.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
nestra
Registered Users

My nephew and my son are about the same height but my nephew is almost four lbs lighter and four months older. Both boys are happy and healthy, just different. My brother was always a skinny kid and I was, ahem, not! If he seems ok to you than I would trust that feeling.
nestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
lyia81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pediatrician said she wanted to see lots of rolls on her babies? Seriously?? My husband was a tiny baby (asian descent) so I'm not surprised that our DD is tiny as well. She's happy and I can tell she's growing, just at a slower rate. Today, she is 3 months and weighs 10lbs 12 oz
lyia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
lyia81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybird4 View Post
DD1 has always been tiny and she's fine. She's been n the first % since 12 mo and now at 3.5yrs she is just at 26lb. She stays steady at 1 % and hasn't dropped so there is no worry. My pedi once said "someone has to be in that first %"

Love the quote!
lyia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBooty View Post
Our gastroenterologist states as long as they stay on a growth curve it's fine if the fall off the curve. Then you should consider increasing nutrition., feelings, calories.

It's ok for a child to sit in the 3rd percentile as long as he stays there. Different babies are different sizes.
That's how my ped is too. As long as they aren't dropping %iles she's not concerned unless there are other symptoms. DD2 was 25 %ile for weight until almost 2, but 75th for height.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well it's a problem. He has lost 3 lbs since his 2 month appt. We are currently at the childrens hospital waiting on the doc for what tests are going to be run. What's so weird though is that he was still peeing and pooping fine and has no signs of dehydration so he was getting enough fluids.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote