Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pagan homeschooling?

I think one of the big problems with Pagan homeschooling curriculum is that there are so many varieties of Pagan. Some people are Wiccan. Others are Pagan but not Wiccan. There are Pagan oriented Native American, Celtic, Norse, Greek, Egyptian, etc spiritual paths. There are some people who do high magic with lots of rituals. There are some more "kitchen witch" varieties. It makes it very difficult to find a Pagan spiritual path that encompasses all of it, you know?

What about looking into Spiral Scouts? You could set your family up as a hearth and that's like a Pagan scout troop. I hear it's really great and I've wanted to do it for quite some time, but I just haven't had the motivation. It would be a great addition to a secular homeschool curriculum that would incorporate a lot of Pagan vibes. From what I understand there are badges or some such to earn from a variety of different aspects of life from Pagan spirituality to camping and hiking like normal scout groups. It might be a great way to incorporate the two together.

Also, I can agree that Charlotte Mason is VERY earth-centered with a combination of traditional schooling values like copy-work. While it's not a curriculum, if you do find a curriculum you like, you can easily layer it over any curriculum of your choosing. Waldorf is great with it's emphasis on creative play and the heavy use of fairy tales I've seen. I don't know if there are any actual curriculum programs you can buy, but it could be a great way to incorporate the two. What about just using a healthy dose of story time and mythology? It would be a great way to share the major mythology in the path you want to share with your child. It would also be a great way to encourage them to get a bit creative with it on their own by exploring other paths. Depending on where you live there might be a kid-friendly open circle you could take your kids to where they can learn in a more unschool fashion, learning through doing, asking questions, and being involved. Those are just some of my immediate thoughts. I know there's a random assortment of other resources out there. If I can think of them or track them down, I'll let you know.

Advertisement

SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #22
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasynFox View Post
I think one of the big problems with Pagan homeschooling curriculum is that there are so many varieties of Pagan.
I'm sure this is definitely a symptom, but a greater problem, (to me) is just a plain lack of pagan parenting appropriate groups/circles/networks/events. It has gotten better over time, from what I've seen. But overall, at least for me, children friendly circles are very few. Until Pagn families are embraced within the larger pagan community, I think finding things that are specific to pagan homeschooling will be difficult.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiaschild View Post
I'm sure this is definitely a symptom, but a greater problem, (to me) is just a plain lack of pagan parenting appropriate groups/circles/networks/events. It has gotten better over time, from what I've seen. But overall, at least for me, children friendly circles are very few. Until Pagn families are embraced within the larger pagan community, I think finding things that are specific to pagan homeschooling will be difficult.
I've lived in areas where there were great family-oriented Pagan groups, but most of them sent their kids to school. Most of my Pagan friends send their kids to school and they think I'm pretty out-there to homeschool my kids. They always swear they couldn't do it for the standard, garden-variety reasons. Many of them also believe that an education in Pagan spirituality just involves leading by example in a very unschool-ish kind of way. They take their kids to rituals and explain what they're doing at home, but that's about it. It's not like my Catholic background where CCD and Catholic Schools were pretty much the way to go and my parents didn't teach me anything. Paganism seems to be the exact opposite.

That's also where things like Spiral Scouts comes in, a Pagan-possible (it has an option to be secular, but earth-centered) scouting group. I know in Austin, TX, for example, there's a pretty big Spiral Scouts circle.

I honestly think I've only ever been to one Pagan event that was specifically not family friendly and that was a dedicated working weekend that was supposed to be very intense and focused. Having kids there would have made it a huge challenge. Sure, the classes aren't child-oriented, but I've known a number of classes where children are permitted, so long as they're not disruptive to the class and are able to handle the subject matter. In several cases I was actually encouraged to bring my children.

I suppose in other regions this may be different, but I haven't found the child-friendly issue to be so much of a problem. At the same time, I've found getting involved with ANY local Pagan group can sometimes be a challenge in itself. For many reasons there are areas that don't have much of a community. I think this would also have to do with the number of Pagans that are out there and how long Paganism has been around and in the open. How long have there been Pagan homeschoolers? How many are there? Several times I've thought about writing a strictly "religious education" curriculum for Pagans, but I've always decided not to do it because I just didn't feel there would be enough of a market for it. I don't think I could write a whole curriculum for math, science, etc because we're unschoolers, but I've run enough "Pagan education" classes for kids that I feel pretty confident in my ability to write a curriculum for that!
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ran across an old thread on Mothering.com where a couple pagan homeschooling moms were developing a pagan homeschooling curriculum just like a Christian homeschooling curriculum. I pmed one of moms but no answer. It was a earth based spirituality curriculum vs pagan which would have worked for us.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
I ran across an old thread on Mothering.com where a couple pagan homeschooling moms were developing a pagan homeschooling curriculum just like a Christian homeschooling curriculum. I pmed one of moms but no answer. It was a earth based spirituality curriculum vs pagan which would have worked for us.
Haha apparently I said this in my op.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm SO doing Spiral Scouts once DD gets old enough! Looks so cool!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
owleyes
Registered Users
seller

Wish there was a spiral scouts in my area! It sounds awesome!
owleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

An old bump, but Earth*School was a series of unit studies for preschool-kindergarten age kids. It's available on etsy and the author is Pagan. Oak Meadow is Pagan friendly. Celebrating the Great Mother has great activities for the year that can be used as your religion/arts supplement. Otherwise, the homeschool market is so heavily saturated with Evangelical materials, that Pagan friendly is very difficult. Companies like BJU, Sonlight, and A Beka are strongly anti-Pagan and include a lot of false history on everything from slavery to the Reformation and are also very hostile to "witches" in the texts.

Your best bet is to pick a secular curricula and supplement, or to choose something like Classical education that heavily emphasizes Ancient cultures and history. But, really, it depends on your specific Pagan beliefs. With my older kids, we are doing an Intellego study on World Religions this Fall and we will study religion more in depth.

http://witchesandpagans.com/EasyBlog...schoolers.html

Last edited by nakia; 04-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.
nakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

As far as bigoted history goes, Howard Zinn is good, History of US is excellent for upper elementary & high school kids, and Oak Meadow also treated the subject with respect.

Also, the UU bookstore has some good options for religion books for kids from a more open perspective.

Last edited by nakia; 04-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, I just got another recommendation for American History: The Drama of American History by the Collier brothers. Lies Across America is a good one for older kids, just like Lies My Teacher Told Me.

Ad here is a Pre-k/k pagan curriculum I just found: http://www.cafepress.com/outofthemists.289387604

I have not used it, so if anyone knows anything, that would be great!

Last edited by nakia; 04-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.