Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #341
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Congrats Fodie!

Here are the best of the pics I was able to get:

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #342
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's the progress on the breeder coop:

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #343
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh Sarah it looks great! I'd love to see a picture, I can do a rubbermaid, will that be ok for 12 chicks?
And Fodie George is gorgeous!!!!!

Well this weekend DH and I spent some time walking the farm place. There is so much stuff in our woods that needs to be cleared, we're going to offer our kids bus driver to come clear out fallen trees, he has a wood burning heater and has mentioned he'd do it to get the wood. We have SOOOO much and I'd like to get it cleared out for the kids more, DH used to have a tree house back there and it's all fallen apart but the tree is still there and perfect. There's also an old school house, shame a tree fell on it or it'd be a great play house for the kids.
BUT ANYHOW, he told me I can use one of the old piglet weaning barns for the chickens! It's the red one on the left

Its the top right barn in this overhead pic

I think the location is good, it's protected by woods for the winter, and plenty of grassy area for a run/free ranging. Right now it's full of crates so I'll need to get those out but if I take some closer pics inside can you ladies give me an idea if it will work and what I need to do to it?

Last edited by MrsCrafty; 02-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #344
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Impatiently waiting for the rest to pip and hatch, have 3 cuties peeping in there. How long should I wait for the others? I assume Wednesday morning-ish?
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #345
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Oh Sarah it looks great! I'd love to see a picture, I can do a rubbermaid, will that be ok for 12 chicks?
And Fodie George is gorgeous!!!!!
Thanks! We spent the day on trim and the doors for the nest box access.

12 should be fine in 1 for a while, but they grow fast! You will want another for when they start to get bigger and crowded. Will you be doing a grow-out pen, straight to the coop, or inside in the bins till ready? You may want a 3rd bin. You can use boxes. The little one in the pic I use for 3 or so days till they are ready for the big bin. A box with plastic taped in the bottom, cover with paper, then thick layer of shavings will do. I stir the shavings every other day to keep them fresher. So many feathered feet, lol. POO! I also only use cedar now and have to change often with batches that size. See the little box has 2 night lights, 4 watts, mounted in opposite directions in an extension coard hanging. It's perfect at one end of the box. Then they can just move close if needed. I use duck tape and straws to mount. I am so affraid of it falling. I prob over do it.

Well this weekend DH and I spent some time walking the farm place. There is so much stuff in our woods that needs to be cleared, we're going to offer our kids bus driver to come clear out fallen trees, he has a wood burning heater and has mentioned he'd do it to get the wood. We have SOOOO much and I'd like to get it cleared out for the kids more, DH used to have a tree house back there and it's all fallen apart but the tree is still there and perfect. There's also an old school house, shame a tree fell on it or it'd be a great play house for the kids.
BUT ANYHOW, he told me I can use one of the old piglet weaning barns for the chickens! It's the red one on the left

Its the top right barn in this overhead pic

I think the location is good, it's protected by woods for the winter, and plenty of grassy area for a run/free ranging. Right now it's full of crates so I'll need to get those out but if I take some closer pics inside can you ladies give me an idea if it will work and what I need to do to it?

It looks PERFECT!!!!!
Does it have water or electric access? That would be a HUGE perk! i'd love to see the inside!!!!
Oh man, what I could do with thta much, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Impatiently waiting for the rest to pip and hatch, have 3 cuties peeping in there. How long should I wait for the others? I assume Wednesday morning-ish?
I take the babs out when they are strong enough persionally. It hasn't caused me an issue. But I don't know what to really recomend here. I wouldn't leave chicks in there that long. I don't really know what to tell you. It's prob gonna be a persional choice thing. What you are cofy with. As for the eggs:
I'd wait till the end of day 22 or morn of 23. You can usually just check with the light and see if they have broken the membrain. Hold a washcloth over the egg when you do the eggtopsy. You don't want an eggsplosion in the face.

Great job Fodie!!!!

Here are the bins I use. I no longer have the long feeders or the perch. I have a light at one end and the jar style feeder and waterer at the other end. I put both on butter dishes upside down with the lid on the top. it keeps shavings out.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #346
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That was 10 in the last bin. I was seperateing them. It just gets way too crowded!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #347
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah everything looks so great! The chicks are cute! I hope some of mine hatch. So far all I see is dark/yolk and so many of the eggs are porous that I really can't tell what's going on there. I know my incubator runs toward the low end of 99 degrees so I'll have to wait longer to know. Ok so from what I understand about wheatens, your top pic is a girl and the bottom's a boy, right?

Denise, wow you lucky dog! I would give my right arm for a property like that! Dh would not be pleased with my chicken order for that space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
If you don't have any more pipped yet, you could spritz like I said and take those three out. Keep them in a brooder next to the incubator though because the sound of their siblings peeping encourages the others to hurry up and hatch. You may be surprised, there was a lull of a few hours between my first few and then all the rest started pipping all at once and were out within a couple hours. ETA: if all your eggs hatch earlier than you expected, that may mean that you need to turn the temp down a hair for the next hatch.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-11-2013 at 07:18 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #348
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Neighbor dog mauled my poor General Tso today. Right in broad daylight.

I'm devastated. He was my favorite chicken. Just started crowing a couple weeks ago, too.

Can't rebuild the run because we've got all this snow. So the rest of the girls (I only have 3 chickens left) are going to live with my friend in her chicken tractor. New coop and run coming in March.

I never thought I would ever become so attached to a chicken. I like my girls, but I LOVED my roo. He was such a good boy, sweet and gentle, but fierce protector of his ladies.

R.I.P., General Tso.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #349
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah everything looks so great! The chicks are cute! I hope some of mine hatch. So far all I see is dark/yolk and so many of the eggs are porous that I really can't tell what's going on there. I know my incubator runs toward the low end of 99 degrees so I'll have to wait longer to know. Ok so from what I understand about wheatens, your top pic is a girl and the bottom's a boy, right?
I keep hearing darker is normally roo. The dark ones are the really yellow chicks. I love the colors. The other 2 are just cream and red.
As far as the eggs go. The yolk gets darker and starts to take up more space. You often don't see the babe.

Denise, wow you lucky dog! I would give my right arm for a property like that! Dh would not be pleased with my chicken order for that space!

If you don't have any more pipped yet, you could spritz like I said and take those three out. Keep them in a brooder next to the incubator though because the sound of their siblings peeping encourages the others to hurry up and hatch. You may be surprised, there was a lull of a few hours between my first few and then all the rest started pipping all at once and were out within a couple hours. ETA: if all your eggs hatch earlier than you expected, that may mean that you need to turn the temp down a hair for the next hatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post

I'm devastated. He was my favorite chicken. Just started crowing a couple weeks ago, too.

Can't rebuild the run because we've got all this snow. So the rest of the girls (I only have 3 chickens left) are going to live with my friend in her chicken tractor. New coop and run coming in March.

I never thought I would ever become so attached to a chicken. I like my girls, but I LOVED my roo. He was such a good boy, sweet and gentle, but fierce protector of his ladies.

R.I.P., General Tso.
Aw sweetie!!!!! I'm soooooooooo sorry! I love Solomon like that. I already worry about age. I know you loved the little man. Gosh, I'm so sorry hun!!!! Does the dog have access to your yard? We have to keep the gate locked at all times now. I can't even leave it open for the delivery man. The neighbor took in a stray that hates my chickens. I caught it tearing at the gravel trying to get everyone under my van. It went to turn on me. I have called and called about it. You just can't talk to people about things like that here. I will shoot this dog if it digs in again. We are in the country though. I won't have a dog kill my animals and then turn on me in my own yard. So we have to lock down. It's a real pain. I don't know if you have fencing or not? It's a good long term investment and piece of mind. God bless you hun. I'm so very sorry. You have always had wonderfull things to say about him!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #350
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post

R.I.P., General Tso.
I'm so sorry.

Sarah- I'm not sure, I guess maybe it will depend on the weather when I move them? My chicks are going to be ready the first week of March she said, we still have over a foot of snow. Would I be better off keeping them inside longer? Can you give me like how long I should keep them where? I'm not sure how soon we'll be able to do much to the barn or make a run since everything's frozen right now.
We have a huge basically finished basement(our house is a ranch style and the basement is the same sq ft as our house) it's warm and thats where my sewing room, and the kids playroom and stuff is. So I was thinking of keeping the boxes with the chicks down there? Where do you keeps yours?