Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS isn't getting math

DS is really behind in math. He has NO number sense. He just turned 7 and with his aspergers and developmental delays I expected some difficulties, but it's beyond what I expected.
Tonight he had subtraction (which is harder for him than addition) and I tried to get him to do 1-1 on several different problems and he kept saying 3. I even showed him 1 pencil and then took 1 pencil away to show him that leaves 0 and he just wasn't getting it.
I feel like such a failure because I can't figure out how to make him learn it. I don't want him to struggle.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Miquon with cuissenaire rods really helped my son finally get number sense. The rods alone may be enough but I needed the orange workbook and teachers guide. They do Saxon math at public school here and it wasn't clicking
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.
Focusing just on addition would be easy if I homeschooled, but he's in public school so he's getting work assigned for the class. He would be on a K level in math if I had to guess...but 1st grade for everything else. He was lacking in reading, but he's picked up better...spelling is a little harder, but he's not as bad in spelling as in math.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynne15 View Post
Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him
yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What is his learning style?

I think I have some curriculum I could send you to try. I know he isn't homeschooled, but this would just be the teachers manual and the DVD that goes with it. It is Math-U-See, if you want to look it over. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns View Post

yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.
Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?
I really wish I could homeschool him or have a private tutor for him, but we can't afford for me to stay home and not likely we can afford a tutor either. Looking into maybe having someone a couple hours a week though.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

Try local colleges. If they have an education program, they may have to do "hours" in different settings. I did for my degree. It's worth a shot.

Try using something your ds likes. M and m s, skittles, pretzles, Orange slices, grapes, etc. The tangible combined with the edible sometimes helps get over that math hurdle. If I have 1 m&m and you eat it, how many are left?

Hope this helps.
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote