Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
AVDesigns's Avatar
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,246
My Mood:
DS isn't getting math

DS is really behind in math. He has NO number sense. He just turned 7 and with his aspergers and developmental delays I expected some difficulties, but it's beyond what I expected.
Tonight he had subtraction (which is harder for him than addition) and I tried to get him to do 1-1 on several different problems and he kept saying 3. I even showed him 1 pencil and then took 1 pencil away to show him that leaves 0 and he just wasn't getting it.
I feel like such a failure because I can't figure out how to make him learn it. I don't want him to struggle.

Advertisement

__________________
Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
Sign up for Swagbucks now to earn free stuff!
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,179
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Miquon with cuissenaire rods really helped my son finally get number sense. The rods alone may be enough but I needed the orange workbook and teachers guide. They do Saxon math at public school here and it wasn't clicking
__________________
Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,300
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
AVDesigns's Avatar
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,246
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Just keep trying. We did pizza for subtraction and for fractions. I found $ helps with subtraction. (When DS was little I let him shop at the Dollar tree ... it's easier math.)

I liked to use "real" objects first and then write it on paper. We also did lots of cooking. (like baking cookies helps with adding. ) You might try having him set the table. Counting out how many forks are needed or simple practical applications. If Subtraction is stressing him out, focus on addition and counting and try again later.
Focusing just on addition would be easy if I homeschooled, but he's in public school so he's getting work assigned for the class. He would be on a K level in math if I had to guess...but 1st grade for everything else. He was lacking in reading, but he's picked up better...spelling is a little harder, but he's not as bad in spelling as in math.
__________________
Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
Sign up for Swagbucks now to earn free stuff!
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
rebeccalynne15's Avatar
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: marysville, ca 95901
Posts: 1,645
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him
__________________
username on MFP is rebeccalynne15 feel free to add me
"In the end everything will be alright and if everything isn't alright it isn't the end" ~unknown~
rebeccalynne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
AVDesigns's Avatar
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,246
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynne15 View Post
Not sure in your sons case but does he have an IEP ? If not ask in writing for them to do one and he can get extra help that way . My dd (13) had horrible problems with math but hers was adding ....every day u had to reteach her so she could do her homework she would finally get it by the end of the page but the next day you would have to start over . She is in 8th grade now and is in algebra . She still has problems adding . The funny thing was is she could always multiply but not add . I don't get it lol neither does the school psychologist. She was diagnosed with a memory issue . Hope u find something that works for him
yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.
__________________
Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
Sign up for Swagbucks now to earn free stuff!
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,361
Re: DS isn't getting math

What is his learning style?

I think I have some curriculum I could send you to try. I know he isn't homeschooled, but this would just be the teachers manual and the DVD that goes with it. It is Math-U-See, if you want to look it over. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns View Post

yes, he does have an IEP. He has allowances for extra time on tests, someone scribing for him if needed and some reading allowances like someone reading his tests to him.
What modifications should I have added that pertain to this issue with math? I've actually contacted his teacher from last year (who we absolutely loved) to see what his opinion was of holding him back a year. Let him repeat 1st grade.
Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
AVDesigns's Avatar
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,246
My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Maybe he needs a different math curriculum that uses manipulatives... ?
I really wish I could homeschool him or have a private tutor for him, but we can't afford for me to stay home and not likely we can afford a tutor either. Looking into maybe having someone a couple hours a week though.
__________________
Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
Sign up for Swagbucks now to earn free stuff!
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
ccserrano's Avatar
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nyack, NY
Posts: 815
Try local colleges. If they have an education program, they may have to do "hours" in different settings. I did for my degree. It's worth a shot.

Try using something your ds likes. M and m s, skittles, pretzles, Orange slices, grapes, etc. The tangible combined with the edible sometimes helps get over that math hurdle. If I have 1 m&m and you eat it, how many are left?

Hope this helps.
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.