Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone torn between vegan or vegetarian and paleo?

Local raw honey would be a tough one for me to give up, that's for sure! It is delicious and I believe also super healthy. It's funny you mentioned that b/c I stopped using refined sugar and processed honey a few weeks ago, hopefully for good. I also passed on getting maple syrup (though we'd probably still get it, but since we're getting the raw honey we skipped it partly since I'm not sure it's the best quality anyway.) So raw honey is the only sweetener I'm using besides dried fruit - for now, anyway, and I'm trying to limit it. Curious to see any of your vegan recipes that were hits with your family! I've sort of been doing the same with sneaking in recipes to try (but not forcing my husband to eat a certain way) - some of the ones that I've tried that were hits include sweet potato black bean chili w/ quinoa, and last night I made honey lentils w/ veggies (just a little bit of honey added at the end.) My husband is definitely a carnivore and thinks he'd have trouble giving up meat, but he really liked those two dishes

I watched all of the food films I could find online free that I could - Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Food Matters, Forks Over Knives, Hungry for Change, etc. and I recently tried to watch Earthlings but I couldn't watch some parts of it at all. I did watch some random videos on youtube about how animals are treated. So very sad. They definitely played a part in making me reconsider my own personal food choices - I used to be nonchalant about most of it, as long as I wasn't eating "too much" obvious junk food, I thought I was eating healthy. One of my vegan friends is always posting stuff trying to sway people to the vegan side and I'm always curious enough to check out her links, too...

I'm glad that most who have posted on this thread feel good/better with whatever path you chose

Advertisement

Last edited by mel j; 02-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Sakari
Registered Users

This is such an interesting thread! What I find really confusing, yet really great - is that it seems you can find awesome success stories about any "method" you research. Someone out there loves it and has a testimonial about it! I mean, for me, it's been kind of paleo/primal, limiting dairy and grains and processed sugar, really amp-ing up the veggies ... but I have gone through a LOT of stages, and I'm not sure what I'd really call myself right now! and I'm sure it'll keep morphing.

DH (without knowing it) reminded me today that for awhile I had a thing for raw foods - and I think I need to remember that! I feel good with raw fruits and veggies. (and I love my juice! )

I really enjoy those food documentaries too. Maybe I'm "plant-based primal" right now?

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been a vegetarian since I was 15-16. Had 4 big babies and nursed for several years on this diet and have very healthy kids.

That being said, I am not someone who tries to shove vegetarianism down other people's throats. I think if you stick to whole foods in general, you can't wrong- whether that includes meat or not.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
I've been a vegetarian since I was 15-16. Had 4 big babies and nursed for several years on this diet and have very healthy kids.

That being said, I am not someone who tries to shove vegetarianism down other people's throats. I think if you stick to whole foods in general, you can't wrong- whether that includes meat or not.
My biggest baby (10 Lbs 4 oz) was a vegetarian baby
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend the documentary The Perfect Human Diet.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I'll have to look that up!

Just stumbled on this article: http://jdmoyer.com/2012/01/03/paleo-...-of-straw-men/
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
LandSalm0n
Registered Users
seller

Paleo works best for me. I don't do well without lots of protein
LandSalm0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been pescatarian for years (vegetarian except for fish) because I can't tolerate meat, I get sick any time I eat it. If I made a list of the foods I can't eat it would get pretty long actually, I have stomach issues. 2.5 weeks ago I decided to try out a plant based diet and eliminate soy and gluten at the same time. We just eat veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, lentils and beans. My stomach problems have improved significantly after the initial cleansing process. I am assuming that I was reacting to something in my old diet. Eventually I will test back in some of the foods and I don't intend to stay on such a restricted diet forever. I do not feel like there is one perfect diet for everyone. There are plenty of really bad diets out there but I think you can eat healthy for your needs with or without dairy, meat or whatever. Personally I don't eat meat because I don't eat meat and I don't care if other people do. One day I hope to be able to eat fish again (I need my sushi). I would like to eat soy as well as I enjoy tofu.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
Corgi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
I think if you stick to whole foods in general, you can't wrong- whether that includes meat or not.
^^THIS x a million!
I honestly don't think a single food group is the enemy, so I have a hard time getting behind any really restricted regimen being the "best" overall. I think it's processed food in general with long, complicated ingredient lists, dyes, preservatives, etc. that should be avoided. ... . But that's just me.

ETA: HAH, my crazy bored Saturday lurking revived a super old thread.... my bad.
someone new Nov 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The more I read and learn about diets the less I want to eat!!!

I think whole foods is the best option for us. I have been veg vegan and bee-gan and lacto macrio and blah blah blah.

When vegan those were my smallest babes. Could be hereditary could be food not sure but they are healthy thriving children. Dd2 is probably my biggest chunkiest baby and I am consuming full fat milks and meat but guess what--looksike there is an allergy. She is a month old.

So I am going to do whole foods with some dairy with some veg days some vegan days some elimination diet days and with less to no white sugar and with healing foods and see how it goes.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote