Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about Abeka...

I am looking at Abeka for Health, History and Science to start. If I like those, I may try the other subject areas. I'd love to hear from other users if it's easy to teach and follow. What do or don't you like about it?

I would be starting with first grade.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 02-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about Abeka...

What grade?
Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be starting with first grade, but any experience in general is fine.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

I used it for my DD for first grade and we liked it. The subjects you mentioned do not have to be really structured in teaching IMO. She loved the health book. I thought it was really easy for her to pick up on all of it..I did ask questions after each lesson to see if she was grasping it. There wasn't anything I can think of that I didn't really like.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar&SpiceX3 View Post
I used it for my DD for first grade and we liked it. The subjects you mentioned do not have to be really structured in teaching IMO. She loved the health book. I thought it was really easy for her to pick up on all of it..I did ask questions after each lesson to see if she was grasping it. There wasn't anything I can think of that I didn't really like.
Did you use all the subjects for first grade?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

I did use it for all subjects. A Beka is my favorite curriculum, but I do pull from others at times. I know the biggest complaint I hear is that it's expensive, but I guess that's relative. I did teach quite a bit with the math and english but it wasn't overwhelming, at least for us. I didn't need any of the teacher books either except for English and math. For those it was just nice to have ideas on fun things and an overall plan.

Last edited by Sugar&SpiceX3; 02-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! It is expensive so I'm hoping to find them gently used and that we are able to share the textbooks since I'm teaching 2 children at the same grade level.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I used abeka for 1st and 2nd with dd1. I bought the teachers manuals b/c Im not creative or the best teacher and since they tell you exactly what to say when it helped so much! I didnt like the science or history but love the math, crusive writing, and phonics. The LA is ok. There is a lot! of repetition. This yr dd1 is doing abeka math, spelling, and science/health(i like 3rd grade much better!). We just started hod for la, history, reading and writing. So far I really like it.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD loves it for pre-K. I am looking at it for K, but haven't decided yet one way or the other. I am leaning towards it for reading because that is what I learned on way back in the day.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

DS used it in prek last year, at a prek, and in K this year at home. For K we mainly use the phonics, writing tablet and math books. We have the history and science books but read through them ridiculously quickly. To me they seem very insubstancial, just a few simple sentences and a bunch of pictures. IDK if thats standard for K but my kids were seriously bored with them. We read one "lesson" and they were like... "ok? Is that it?", so we ended up just reading the whole thing at once. We read much more in depth books for history and science that even my just turned 4yo is waaay more interested in.

For the phonics and math (even though youre not thinking of using those Ill chime in on them anyway), there is a TON of repetition. It's kinda crazy. It seems we've only done a couple things with the actual curriculum and just keep repeating the same busywork every day. I DO really like the writing tablet. But the phonics and math books are boring the crap out of my son, and he usually really likes worksheets and workbooks

Overall, Im disappointed in Abeka and will be very happy to go to something else next year.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote