Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/11-2/15

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area.
You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #7

Monday 2.11.13: Purge 5 items of paper clutter. This would be a great time to file some papers, mail anything that needs to be mailed, and see if it's time to restock envelopes or stamps.

Tuesday 2.12.13: Purge 5 items from a bedroom that needs attentions.

Wednesday 2.13.13: Purge 5 items from a closet of your choice. Utility closet, linen closet, bedroom closet... whatever needs it!

Thursday 2.14.13: Purge 5 items from your dining room. If you don't have a separate dining room, focus on the area where you eat as a family, or on things that you use for meals (napkins, dishware or utensils for the kids, etc.).

Friday 2.15.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from an area that needs it or that has been bugging you.

BONUS TASK: Finish a project that needs finishing (whether it's a household project, or a craft project, or anything of that nature). Devote some time this week to get it done.

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/11-2/15

Sorry this is a bit late. We're in the process of repainting our living room, which is so much fun with small children! So it was a late night, and our house is a war zone right now. But it's looking nice, and we also got new furniture this weekend, so it will be worth it in the end.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did the bonus last night I finally finished DD faux chenille blanket that I started 2 years ago!
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Purged some things that had been stashed in the pantry from the old house junk drawers. Trash, dog stuff, plastic bracelet. Found the boys' power wheels chargers FINALLY! Hopefully they can have some fun with their cars this afternoon.

Went through some mail this weekend, but it needs more work. Hope to get to it tonight. Packaged up a gift I had sitting out to mail to a friend. Good on stamps.

Will take a look at the dining room later. It should be empty other than furniture, unless the boys played in the cabinets while I wasn't looking. I may do the opposite of purging in that room. I still haven't brought in the china for the curio since we moved. I either need to finish the set of china or get rid of it. But then what would I do with that beautiful curio. Ugh. I have such a love of furniture.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
shoesundone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love this! So manageable.
I threw out old files (including electric bills from our last apt!) into recycling. It's so easy to pare down the big things you see and forget about the files!
shoesundone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just found this and I am joining! I missed today since I am new, but I'll do double duty tomorrow! Thanks for doing this!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

Joining in I need a kick in the butt!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Monday: 5 items from the fireproof safe. All outdated usless stuff like the title to a vehicle we traded back in '09.

Tuesday: cleaned out under my bed, it is now empty. Yay!

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
shoesundone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yay! I finally finished a knitting project and now I'm going to sell it.
shoesundone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How is everyone doing?

I still need to start! haha... our living room project turned into a week long event. Mostly because it's hard to do when you have little kids. DH and I would get to the end of the day and be too tired to do a whole lot, so we've just been doing a little a day. But we only have one more thing to do! We went to put up the last set of blinds and found that the box didn't have the hardware in it, so DH is leaving now to go exchange it (and return something else at another store).

Once we get the window treatments on the last window, it will be all done. Well, minus finding a smaller rug for the play area, but that's nothing vital. Then it will be time to get the rest of the house in order. It's crazy what a disaster zone it became... our kitchen became a catch-all for tools and stuff we don't want our son to be able to reach, so it's been difficult to keep it clean or cook or anything. This evening I plan on cleaning a bunch and doing some purging and reorganizing.

So, all that said, I'll be counting the living room as my bonus task, even though I originally wasn't planning on it. But we've wanted to do this since we moved in over 3 years ago, so it's nice that we'll finally be all set after today.

2,014 items in 2014?