Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
I used to always do crock pot yogurt. I just did it yesterday for the first time in almost 2 yrs and it was weird. Anyone else use raw milk for their yogurt? I always used store bought but now use raw. It was so full of whey and 1 gallon only made a quest and as half after draining to thicken it. Did I do wrong doing a full gallon instead of my normal half? Do you think the raw w. Cream in it affects it? Not trying to hijack, just figured . Other yogurt makes could weigh in. Oh . And I made my own yogurt for yrs before the 2 yr break. Also have a new crock pot that had a warm seeing so I left out on that all night instead of writing w. Towels like yrs previous
We used to use raw milk for yogurt making but we had a couple batches inexplicably fail and that was a huge waste of money. I read that raw milk is friendlier to all bacteria--good and bad--so my "good" yogurt-making bacteria may have had too much competition from who knows what. We've had much more consistent results using low-heat-pasteurized, non-homogenized local milk. We get over 1 quart of very thick strained yogurt from 1/2 gallon of milk.

Advertisement

Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a Yogurt Maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
I would like to find a yogurt maker that does everything for you -- as in I put all the ingredients together, pour them in the cups, turn on the machine, and 8 hours later I have yogurt. When I was looking a while back, the only ones I saw you had to heat and cool the milk to the right temperature yourself, then the heater in the yogurt maker would just hold it at the right temp for the final step. Does this one that you linked to go from start to finish? I have done the stovetop method, but I just hate having to sit there and stir the milk so it doesn't burn, and several times I messed it up and totally wasted all those ingredients.
Nope, I have never heard of a yogurt maker that does what you are wishing for. But that would be cool.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just use my crockpot- I have a big one that holds a full gallon of milk (makes about a week's worth of yogurt for us). When it's finished incubating, I strain it in a cloth and collander to remove about 4 cups of the whey, then portion it out into plastic freezer jam jars, add a couple spoons fruit to the top of each (smaller berries like blueberries and raspberries I just put in frozen, larger ones like strawberries and peaches I thaw and mash). It sets up more as it cools in the fridge, but is usually between greek and regular style yogurt in consistancy.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
lyia81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never heard of a yogurt maker. Definitely gotta check this out!
lyia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use a crockpot, and strain it after through coffee filters until it is thick like Greek yogurt. My kids add berry preserves or honey. They add it per serving though since everyone likes different things.

We use the left over whey after straining in place of milk in biscuit recipes (yum!) or we pour it over the dogs dry food. She loves it and it's good for her coat.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Raw milk only needs to be heated to about 118. I heat pasteurized milk to about 180, then cool to 110 before adding starter. I haven't made it with raw, but my friend does and she puts the milk into jars, puts the jars into a pan of hot water on the stove until the milk reaches 118, cools to 110, stirs a tablespoon of starter into each jar, closes them up and then puts the jars in a cooler with warm water overnight.
She says she gets much better (thicker) results making it in the individual jars rather than one big batch.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
Raw milk only needs to be heated to about 118. I heat pasteurized milk to about 180, then cool to 110 before adding starter. I haven't made it with raw, but my friend does and she puts the milk into jars, puts the jars into a pan of hot water on the stove until the milk reaches 118, cools to 110, stirs a tablespoon of starter into each jar, closes them up and then puts the jars in a cooler with warm water overnight.
She says she gets much better (thicker) results making it in the individual jars rather than one big batch.
I am going to try it this way. I realized whatever I made, was UBER UBER thick, like exact consistency of greek style. I did strain it, but in the past it would be thick then sorta runnier when stirred, this didn't do that at all. We ate it Sun night with fruit and honey, ehhh... Then the rest went to smoothies today, I just couldn't throw it away but waan't gonna try to eat it like Sunday
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I use a crockpot, and strain it after through coffee filters until it is thick like Greek yogurt. My kids add berry preserves or honey. They add it per serving though since everyone likes different things.

We use the left over whey after straining in place of milk in biscuit recipes (yum!) or we pour it over the dogs dry food. She loves it and it's good for her coat.
Totally off topic but I read that as 'in dog biscuit recipes (yum!)' and all I could think was why is she tasting dog biscuits?
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dp
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

This machine, which I do not own, seems to allow you to make multiple flavors: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 From reading customer reviews, it is clear that the milk must be heated and cooled first.

It is possible (I haven't confirmed that I can do it) that I may have a gallon of raw goat milk available to me each week in the near future. (I cannot do cow milk.) If I were to get it, it would be for the express purpose of making yogurt apart from maybe drinking 1/2 quart in coffee each week. I am wincing at making the investment, however, b/c my mom made yogurt for a few years when I was a kid, and it was nasty stuff. I love yogurt, but that was just, ugh. So here I would be roped into an ongoing share of a goat and into buying a yogurt maker, a pot that is suitable, and a cooking thermometer. I also am less than certain that I'd be able to get my share in the goat every week, as I'd be depending on a friend to pick it up for me whom I do not know that well. Still, I would love it if everything worked out well.

All to say... any tips re: raw goat milk? The same as making yogurt from cows' milk? Do any of you presently successfully use starters that do not include any cow milk or lactose in them (it seems that a lot of starters do)? Thanks

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote