Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #91
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

The socialization thing does get old, but I can see where the stereotype comes from and I seriously doubt it goes away any time soon. While they are probably not typical, there are those families who do not socialize with extra curriculars/outings/etc, and you can tell that the kids have almost been cut off from the outside world and don't really know how to function in it. The best we can do is prove not all homeschooling families are like that while trying not to beat the people who ask over the head, lol.

Taking it easy kind of seems like a drag. I feel like we're not making much progress but so far I have been able to resist the urge to drag the curriculum back out. Things are working in my favor though because any day now I bet morning sickness will kick in and I'll be too tired to want to do anything so maybe then I'll have an easier time taking it easy, lol.

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #92
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen!! You are pregnant??! I must have totally missed that. Congratulations! I'm so excited. Now, I can live vicariously through you because I love being pregnant.

We are unsocialized. LOL We go to AWANA and church and occasionally have play dates. We don't do a ton. My kids have their own constant play group.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #93
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We don't do a ton, either, but my kids get enough. We go to church twice on Sundays, AWANA/youth group on Wednesday, they help at Friday lunch, and now bowling. Those are the regulars. We do other things, of course. A couple weeks ago we went to a special story time at one of the local museums. They play with their cousins when we go up there. They play with each other. I encourage them to do their own ordering when we go out to eat. They talk to cashiers when we shop. There are a lot of aspects to socialization that people don't think about.

And really, I went to 8 public school growing up, in 3 different states, and there were kids that didn't really know how to function, despite being in school and "socializing".

Now, AFU, school seems to be going rather slow today for the little one. She's got a terrible attitude today. They older two seem to be okay, thankfully. We are going to try and start doing something with a few other homeschool families in the area. One of the other kids mentioned to his mom he'd like to do something like that, and she mentioned it to me, so we'll see where it goes. Sometimes it's so difficult, as everyone has different schedules.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #94
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Taking it easy kind of seems like a drag. I feel like we're not making much progress but so far I have been able to resist the urge to drag the curriculum back out. Things are working in my favor though because any day now I bet morning sickness will kick in and I'll be too tired to want to do anything so maybe then I'll have an easier time taking it easy, lol.
Are congratulations in order? If so, big yay!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #95
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tallanvor - I agree. There is a lot more to socialization and I know a lot of people who went to school who lack social skills. Take me for example, I strongly dislike calling to order pizza or other food over the phone. I'm scared of the people on the other line. (Seriously, I really don't like calling, but I will if I have to and I'm not actually scared. )

I envy those of you who have chickens. I really want some. We couldn't have them where we are, but I hope to move someday to where we can. However, we did incubate 7 turtle eggs. They all hatched and we raised 7 baby turtles. We have given two away and are trying to get rid of at least 4 more, maybe all 5 since my son isn't doing a great job taking care of them.

And, for school today....we didn't do much. We really struggle to get back into it when we take a break for a few days. Zack read to me and we started reading eggs. That is it. Well, we did PE too! I did 30 Day Shred and the older kids did the whole thing with me, the best they could anyway. We try to go to the gym as a family every night (oh! More socialization!!), but my kids are often sick or something happens and we can't. So, I need to start doing something at home. I have to get rid of this weight. *sigh*

Tomorrow, I plan to do a full day! Say a prayer for me that we can do it.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #96
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I haven't been on DS in a while...I quickly scanned the thread...I will come back to post personals.

I just wanted to say that after the last few weeks being really crappy in regards to school...today was awesome! I know it's only Monday and I shouldn't get my hopes up...but I'd love to have the whole week go like today. Everyone did everything that I wanted to get to. Yay!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #97
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Today went really well. DS did his work without argument. He even wrote his letters nicely like I know he can but he usually just doesn't want to do it, and he did his math sheet on his own and without fussing...it was a VERY good day today.

I think I have finally decided on what we will be using for everything next year, and I am going to get it ordered by the end of the week with hopes I don't change my mind again.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #98
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It is actually snowing here, so the kids went and played outside this morning. For awhile we were getting really big, fluffy flakes coming down fast. DH came home way early and he romped around outside with the kids for a while. I was going to go out, but ODD was using my boots and my gloves. I hadn't anticipated enough snow this winter to bother with snow gear. We had a couple pair of snow gloves left from when we lived in Alaska that belonged to the older two than now fit the younger two, so they were all set.

Anyway, they came in, got some hot chocolate, and schoolwork has commenced. YDD has finished hers. She also finished her first phonics book today, so I need to order her new stuff. ODD is fussing over her pre-algebra. She says it's too hard and she can't do it, but she walks me through the problems with little difficulty, so I know she's understanding it. She just doesn't like it. Math has always been our struggle with her.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #99
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Laura, Welcome!
So is your daughter wanting to homeschool?
Thanks for the input on writing papers. I agree, it is definitely important to learn to write properly. I just wasn't sure if it's super important at this age.
We aren't near the Quad Cities. We are actually considered part of the Metro East St. Louis (MO) area. We have several homeschool groups (and other resources) local to us, plus there are resources and groups in St. Louis.

Cynthia, I'll have to look into the do-a-dots. I did see them on Amazon, and a discount teacher supply store website. I wasn't impressed with my $1 bingo daubers, but my 18 month old did seem to enjoy using it. (I just didn't care for the messy, staining factor!)
The Magic Treehouse meeting sounds neat. My daughter is really into the American Girl books right now, but when she doesn't have one of those from the library she reads Magic Treehouse.
My kids like Caillou. My husband can’t STAND his voice, and I agree that it’s very whiny and not a good example. I’m glad you guys figured out the problem and have been able to fix it!

Croark, yay, I'm glad you guys had fun on your trip!
Woohoo for your month going well!!
Busy Monday for you guys!

Lyn, Hi! Sorry it's been rough lately. I hope things smooth out for you guys.
I'm new to this thread, so I don't know your background...why is your son having a final eval for ST? It sounds like there is still some sort of work to be done, with the articulation? It's interesting, though I'm sure frustrating, how he drops all the consonants! He speaks that way all the time?
My son has been in ST for almost 3 years. He has improved significantly, but he isn't done yet. He leaves off final consonants still, although does better in therapy, when he’s concentrating on it. They suggested speech through the school system, but when I said that we homeschool, they got us in through a private place.

Heather, thanks, I hope I'm able to sell the MFW K 1st edition. I have it listed here on DS. Not sure where else to list it.
Good luck with the investment property, I hope it all works out in your favor.
My daughter’s favorite shows are Rugrats and All Grown Up! You’re making me re-think letting her watch them though! Lol

Tallanvor, haha @ cow pies!! That reminds me of how we call whoopie pies "poopie pies".
If you had weather like we did, it was a perfect "winter" day for the zoo!
A cowboy museum sounds neat!
Wow, a homeschool bowling course/league sounds SO cool!!

Jen, my son is learning to tell time too, and really excited about it. He frequently updates me with the time throughout the day. Lol
How rude of your MIL to say things about your boys not ever being able to have a girlfriend until college, or them not making it to college because they’re homeschooled!!
Yikes on your husband’s expired license!! My DL and military ID both expire this summer, yay. Lol

Vicki, Homeschool Week at Lego Land sounds awesome!!

Wow, lots of newbies to the thread! Hello and welcome to you all!

Julie, I laughed at having a “classroom” being your excuse to have fish. My husband apparently has a thing for fish/fish tanks. There’s one in the living room and we have 2 in the room that the kids sleep in. (Because surely each kid needs their own tank, right? Lol)

We basically took off most of the week 2 weeks ago because of my youngest having chicken pox. Last week it was hard to get back into the groove, and now DS has a cold. So we missed swimming lessons Monday, speech today, we'll drop off our oldest at AWANA tonight and keep DS out. Tomorrow he is suppose to have a consult with ENT, but I don't want to take him and spread germs there. Thursday we are suppose to go 2 hours away to our old homeschool group's Valentine's Day party, and Friday is archery. Blah, I hate sickness and how it messes up your life! (And selfishly I hate how missing activities = losing money.)
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #100
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Michelle--I kind of wish my kids would get chicken pox.

Heather and tallanvor (and whoever else cares)--Yep, I'm pregnant! Only about 4 1/2 weeks. I love babies.

As for us, it was the same ol same ol easy going routine we've been doing. We did reading review in the Bible reader which both kids did really well at. I am still teaching their reading seperate. Honestly I think they can read the stuff in there just as easy as the I See Sam books. I don't get it. Today Keegan flipped to the Daniel page (cause it has lions, and he likes them) and was joking that he was going to read it, so I had him start. And he read three or four lines. He did have to sound out some words but did a pretty good job. But now that we've went back to the easy stuff it seems like he almost has to sound as much out there. I kind of wonder if it's because before he was guessing words, and now he's really reading. Not sure, but it's kind of a pain. Math is still going well, and the kids now know all the books of the old testament!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote