Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is Singapore Math expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
I guess that's where I'd be stuck. I will only be homeschooling 1 child and wouldn't be able to sell the workbooks.
Almost any program is going to be that way. Nothing consumable is going to be able to be resold (once used) for any child. You can resell all the textbooks and teacher's guides, but rarely the workbooks. This is true for one child or 12 and for any program that has consumables, which many do. So, I don't really see the issue with that. Maybe I'm missing something or don't get it because I have 6 kids.

I'm curious what programs you are looking at that are cheaper? I have yet to find one that is a full curriculum other than the free on-line programs that might include it.

Sorry if it comes across as me trying to debate it. I'm just trying to understand.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-11-2013 at 10:13 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom

I guess that's where I'd be stuck. I will only be homeschooling 1 child and wouldn't be able to sell the workbooks.
You can photocopy the work book and then resell the original. (Dont resell the photocopies!)

Or you can but plastic paper covers and put the workbook in a binder and write on the plastic covers so the sheets dont get used. You need to use crayon, pen or dry erase for that though. Pencil wont work.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Almost any program is going to be that way. Nothing consumable is going to be able to be resold (once used) for any child. You can resell all the textbooks and teacher's guides, but rarely the workbooks. This is true for one child or 12 and for any program that has consumables, which many do. So, I don't really see the issue with that. Maybe I'm missing something or don't get it because I have 6 kids.

I'm curious what programs you are looking at that are cheaper? I have yet to find one that is a full curriculum other than the free on-line programs that might include it.

Sorry if it comes across as me trying to debate it. I'm just trying to understand.
I know you can't resell the workbook (unless you copy pages or use sheet protectors as pp mentioned), I just didn't realize that Singapore's products were for semesters vs a full year and that each supplement costs the same as the text book. That's probably just b/c the text is priced low, but all together it seems pricey. Was trying to figure out if most comparable (in quality, not approach) math curriculums cost this much and you all helped me answer that question.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You can photocopy the work book and then resell the original. (Dont resell the photocopies!)

Or you can but plastic paper covers and put the workbook in a binder and write on the plastic covers so the sheets dont get used. You need to use crayon, pen or dry erase for that though. Pencil wont work.
FYI, it is illegal to photocopy workbooks.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMinshall

FYI, it is illegal to photocopy workbooks.
Not for personal use it isn't. You can make copies of a workbook you own for any reason, as long as you don't resell them, or use them in a classroom or distribute them. At home you can do whatever you want with a workbook you have purchased.

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/...rsonaluse.html
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
prairiewindmomma
Registered Users

Earlybird is out of print, isn't it? I LOVED Earlybird.

We have three kids who have used the primary math series. If you aren't comfortable doing math, the home instructor guide is helpful. I haven't needed it, and with one of my kids we've only needed to use the workbooks. We've only gone up thru 5a (still working through them)but it is a very solid program.
prairiewindmomma is offline   Reply With Quote