Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
thinking of homeschooling.

I need ideas, information and just support. I have 5 kids...oldest lives with my mother but I plan to homeschool the other ones. Girls ages 8 gonna be 9 in march and one that turned 7 in December. Grades in regular school is 1st and 2nd grade (2nd year of it) and boy I held out this year he's 5 and will start kindergarten. My older girl has ADHD and my son has severe ADHD and even with meds has trouble. I also have a baby girl who will be a year old end of Feb. I need ideas, and just anything I don't know where to start...but I do not have much money...(Dh has been out of work due to an injury since July 12). Any ideas or cheap or giveaways for curriculum or anything. DHS parents are fighting this everyday even though I could have a degree I was 2 classes away...history I decided to be a stay at home mom instead...I'm very intellegent...23 on act...I think that's good...so I know I could do it but I'm overwhelmed and need ideas for what to do and how and cheap or free for my babies...sorry its so jumbled but that's how my brain feels now lol thank you in advance!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok been 3 days and no response...thought I'd bump and then just give up...thanx
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: thinking of homeschooling.

In my opinion homeschooling can be really really cheap. Granted, we are unschoolers, but I still think anyone could do it for pretty cheap. For us, a library card, internet access, and a couple of neat museum memberships are all we use.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I read this the other day but wasn't sure how to respond. Do you have any specific questions other than where to start, and what curriculum you might look at for keep costs low?

As far as your inlaws... I really feel like grandparents, or other involved family members, should be able to give their opinions once, and if they are respectful, calm and collected should be allowed to discuss aspects of home vs public schooling with parents, as long as parents are comfortable with that. If you feel like 1. you dont want to talk to them about it, 2. they are not respectful about their opinions, 3. they have stated their opinions and you dont need to hear them repeated a hundred more times, etc, then you and your dh should let them know respectfully that you have heard what they have to say, and now you and dh are going to make your decision. You don't need to discuss it with them anymore. If they have anything else to discuss with you guys to let you know, and you will get back to them about it when you are ready to hear them/discuss with them some more.

As far as HSing on the cheap..... I am honestly not the best with that. This year I spent quite a bit on books and materials, more than I needed to. For this coming year Im taking a bit of a different approach. After some trial and error this year (which is how it seems a lot of HSing moms find the "right" method for their familly) I have decided to do way more research and find new curriculums to hopefully better suit my kids. Im going to find the cheapest way possible to buy everything I need, and then take the rest of this year and next year with more detailed schdule, daily and weekly.

One thing to know is that you will likely make a lot of "mistakes" in the way you do things, the books you choose, the methods, etc, until you find what works for you and your kids. That's ok.

We started with Abeka for phonics, writting and math. This next year Im pretty sure we've settled on Ambleside Online, Miquon math, a loose approach to learning spanish, and journaling and letter writting for penmanship. There will be other things in our curriculum as well but they are part of Ambleside Online and our "guide" for those things are through that program.

Last year I was totally overwhelmed by everything available for homeschoolers and honestly just picked what ds had used in school the year before. Now that I have a little experience, and have had time over the year to learn more, Im more comfortable with going through everything. The curriculums, what they offer to teachers/kids, and the "philosophy of learning" behind the programs are making more sense. Honestly it took many hours of reading online, researching programs, readng other ppls experiences, etc, to feel more confident with it all.

So, maybe start by thinking, what is your ideal education for your kids? What do you REALLY want them to get out of it? Is your main goal for them to place high in academic achievement? Do you want a rich experience that feeds their spirit? There are so many things available, so think about what is really important to you to pass on to your kids. And then start reading about every type of homeschooling philosophy to find one thats right for you.

I hope that helps in some way. Definitely ask more questions if you feel you need to!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As far as curriculum I liked a Facebook page that has a ton of posts and comments regarding curriculum. It's called practical homeschooling. Here's the link http://m.facebook.com/PracticalHomes...326087318&_rdr

One site I've seen a lot about that is free is easy peasy homeschool. I don't know much about it, I've just seen it mentioned. May be a good place to start. Whatever you decide to do good luck!

Here's the link for easy peasy http://allinonehomeschool.wordpress.com/

Here's another good page Free Homeschool Deals http://m.facebook.com/FreeHomeschool...140056161&_rdr
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
painter412
Registered Users
seller

if you have the time, it can be cheap and close to free. I personally don't have the time to surf the internet and go to the library. i have 4 children, a year apart in age, and the oldest just turned 6. Homeschooling takes time, uninterrupted time, to focus on what you need and what your child needs. A co-op may be a GREAT choice for you. I use Critical Thinking Co and love them. ALot!
painter412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Hi, don't know how cheap you need it to be but I found a ton of good things at the Dollar Tree, teachers section and Goodwills. An idea you might try is to combine your oldest two in lots of areas. Buy the workbooks Total Math 1 and 2 ($10 each on amazon.com) and Hooked on Phonics or Explode the Code workbooks at their levels for phonics. They are pretty cheap too. Then get a handwriting workbook for each. I found good ones at Walmart and used here even. Those are cheap too. Do one page in each a day (3 pages total a day only!) You'll be done in less than an hour. When the child wants to do more, they can when done. Mine always wanted to do more. That'll cover your basics fine. Then hit the library and get books to read them for fun on science (favorite bugs, animals, stars, weather) and American history (Christopher Colombus, Indians, states, other countries). Before bed, read them Little House on the Prairie, Winnie the Poohs, classics or Aesops Fables. I bet they'll be ahead of their peers at the end of the year and would have had fun! Have your K son memorize all Leap Frog movies and listen in with the older ones. He may benefit from a K workbook too if he'll do it and Bob books readers. Keep it light and interesting. You'll be fine! Go online if you have time for crafts or activities. Board games, puzzles, word searches, card games, dice games are all learning tools. The library should have excellent videos like School house Rock and science related movies. Have a great year!! You'll love the closeness you all will feel. It's neat.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

There are lots of free online printables for various grade levels. I "like" several pages on Facebook that are homeschool related and offer lots of great ideas and printables too. Education.com and Jumpstart have some good printables too.

I actually just found this site the other day but haven't really navigated it yet:
http://curriculumshare.com/

http://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/

As for what I do:

This is my first year homeschooling 3 boys (6, 5 and 3.5 yrs old) and also on a budget. I use Christian Light Education for all of them because it's so easy to teach and the kids can pretty much know what to do just by looking at the page. The teacher's manual is fairly scripted and outlines what you need to say/do for each lesson. I finished their Kindergarten II and am starting first grade now. I've tried a few other things but nothing has come close to the ease of use and my kids didn't like it either. Price wise, I find them very reasonable when comparing to others and you can buy what you can now to start and save up for the rest. Everything is sold separately.

http://www.clp.org/store/browse/239

I also use Time4Learning. It is supposed to meet state standards in Math and Language Arts and it also provides Science and Social Studies. You may need to supplement their Science and Social Studies depending on your state standards for each grade. You can make a lesson plan on their site too and print worksheets related to the lessons and it keeps track of your child's work/grades. It is $19.95 per month for the first child and $14.95 per additional child.

http://www.time4learning.com/

I also have a subscription to Reading Eggs. You can call them to see if they have any promos running. That's what I did and paid $124 for a one year subscription that covered all 3 my children. Look up Retailmenot.com before signing up and you can find promo codes for a longer free trial.

http://readingeggs.com/

Reading Eggs and Time4Learning both have free demos for you to try to see if your kids like it and you'll know if it will work for you.

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 02-22-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Wrong thread sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4023669983.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	134892  
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have allotted a portion of our tax return to school materials, so I don't need to be quite as frugal this year as last, but I still plan on being thrifty.

Free materials:
grammar/writing: Scott Foresman Grammar and Writing handbook http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html-free pdf for grades 1-6

spelling: Free Homeschool Spelling Words http://www.homespellingwords.com/default.aspx has spelling lists for K-8, I didn't find the site to be very user friendly so I plugged the word lists into Spelling City http://www.spellingcity.com/ and used their free games and tests

Handwriting: I'm super cheap here. I just found a website that had all the letters and purchased primary handwriting paper from dollar tree. I printed the letter and had the kids (I had a preschool at the time) make a few after mine. We also did a lot of writing in the air and in a tub full of sand. There are tons of free printables too. Maybe something like this

Reading: Teaching your k'er to read might be the more challenging than the older girls. Here are a couple guides http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671631985/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20 and http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0913063029/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20 and http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972860312/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20
For the older kids, I would print out a few age appropriate booklists and head to the library. Do a lot of reading, both individual and read aloud and discuss characters, plot, and other story elements. Pick out words from the story to use for vocabulary, etc.

History: pick up a general history encyclopedia (I like this one). Read a spread and head to the library to pick up a couple books on the subject. If you have Netflix, there is a wealth of historical documentaries also.

Science: You can do basically the same thing with science. Pick up some experiment books from the library and learn about the concepts behind them. Read non-fiction books. Head to museums (most have a free admission day here and there-so sign up on email lists if possible).

Math-this is the one area that I don't trust myself to "wing." I do buy curriculum (and I buy new knowing that I'll have multiple children use through it). There are several places to purchase used curriculum so the oop isn't as much though.

Depending on the skill level of your older kids, they could be placed together for several things: history and science definitely and perhaps reading as well. I would do separate math. And your k'er, he only really needs math, reading and writing--everything else should be interest led and if he's not ready for more, then let him be.

DD2 most likely has ADHD. It isn't diagnosed and won't be unless we get to the point that we can't find ways to manage it. To make school work for her, she needs lots of movement. Math usually takes 2 hours to do 25 problems because she needs to move after every problem or two. It used to annoy me to death, but that's just her and why fight it? She got an exercise trampoline (one of those small ones) for Christmas and she jumps between problems for a couple minutes. She lifts weights while she's reading. She'll do mapwork for 10-15 minutes and go shoot hoops for 10-15. She's super bright, but cannot make her mind stay in one place very long. I get much better output from her in short bursts than I do if I try to push through and make her just do it all at once.

Good luck-I hope your DH's parents come around. Some will and some won't. Mine act like they are on board and then talk behind our backs. I've just learned to ignore them for the most part.

Last edited by 2queens&1princenmyhouse; 02-22-2013 at 09:34 AM.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote