Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: If you're pro-vax or delay/selectively vax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
FWIW, dh (he's a board certified Ped, an on July 1 he's a full fledged neonatologist) hates the Dr Sears vaccine book. He says it's biased, inaccurate, and he really hates his schedule, because Dr Sears advocates for the kids going in for shots all the time. Dh has more to say about Dr Sears, and none of it is flattering.

Do you have a medical school near you? That's where I learned about how the immune system works, from dh's immunology text book. Once you learn about how the immune system works, you really learn a lot about how vaccines work, as well. And it's the main reason I got out of the anti-vax woo. The stuff I read on anti-vax sites about the immune system was really wrong, and in a lot of cases, just bizarre.

I know you said you didn't want to read the CDC, but they have a lot of great info, and IIRC they have references for you to look up.

Honestly, though, you will probably have to stay off the internets and go to actual paper sources, journals, medical school books, and so on. You can try Pub Med, but one study does not standard of care make, KWIM?

A little info about Dr Bob, and why he's really anti-vax: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...accinationist/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
I usually wonder if those who say they don't like the Dr. Sears book have actually read it themselves. I think it is very unbiased and not at all anti-vax. It very succinctly states both sides of the argument and then his own personal views on each vax(usually for), then leaves the decision up to the reader. I'm really confused how anyone could say Dr. Bob is anti-vax when he so clearly is not.

ETA I do however think some of the things on his schedule are odd. We don't vax at all until age two, and then very slowly, so the schedule doesn't apply to us.
I agree. He tells what the vaccine is for, what it's made of, the risks of the disease, the risks of the vaccine, why some people choose not to get it. He never tells you whether to get them or not and all in all he recommends almost all of them.

Advertisement

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 02-13-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes

I agree. He tells what the vaccine is for, what it's made of, the risks of the disease, the risks of the vaccine, why some people choose not to get it. He never tells you whether to get them or not and all in all he recommends almost all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I do have access to journals through my university.
I would totally check out the journals then. I miss having access. I would have a field day reading research on all types of things if I had access but I guess finding the time between school and kids would be hard. lol Sources on the internet just are not the most reliable sources out there.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 02-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post

And if you REALLY want to dive into the science, I hope you've got some time, this one is 230 pages, but just came out one month ago, so contains the most recent info:

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?re...=13563&page=R1
I downloaded the PDF of this, and it's ONLY 198 pages. If you'd like a copy, just PM me, and I can email it to you. And if you want references, every single chapter has a 1-2 page list of references and articles.

I think most people even those that are anti-vax realize there is no connection between Autism and vaccines.

However, the one that gets me is the concern about the aluminum in the vaccines. Yes, there is aluminium in some of them. It actually is there to help your body have a better reaction to the vaccine. In addition, if you exclusively breastfeed your baby, they will get more aluminum from your breastmilk in the first 6 months of life than they will from all their vaccines combined. (During the first 6 months of life, infants could receive about
4 milligrams of aluminum from vaccines. During the same period,
babies will also receive about 10 milligrams of aluminum in
breast milk, about 40 milligrams in infant formula, or about 120
milligrams in soy-based formula.)

So, when you read about the "scary" ingredients in vaccines, do your research about the amount of whatever the "scary" ingredient is and where else one might be exposed to it in what quantities.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump

I downloaded the PDF of this, and it's ONLY 198 pages. If you'd like a copy, just PM me, and I can email it to you. And if you want references, every single chapter has a 1-2 page list of references and articles.

I think most people even those that are anti-vax realize there is no connection between Autism and vaccines.

However, the one that gets me is the concern about the aluminum in the vaccines. Yes, there is aluminium in some of them. It actually is there to help your body have a better reaction to the vaccine. In addition, if you exclusively breastfeed your baby, they will get more aluminum from your breastmilk in the first 6 months of life than they will from all their vaccines combined. (During the first 6 months of life, infants could receive about
4 milligrams of aluminum from vaccines. During the same period,
babies will also receive about 10 milligrams of aluminum in
breast milk, about 40 milligrams in infant formula, or about 120
milligrams in soy-based formula.)

So, when you read about the "scary" ingredients in vaccines, do your research about the amount of whatever the "scary" ingredient is and where else one might be exposed to it in what quantities.
Great point about the aluminum. I would love the PDF, I'll pm you
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
chickiwawa
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad you posted this! I am in the middle of researching like crazy and have really wanted to hear from "real people", not just articles, blog posts, ect.
I was almost to the point of being scared into it by my doctor, but am pretty close to the conclusion that I want to continue not vaxxing.
I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old. The 5 year old was vaxxed to 9 months, the other 2 none at all. Scary stuff.
Thanks for posting!
chickiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
LittleFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Institute of Medicine recently released a report called "Childhood Immunization Schedule and Safety: Stakeholder Concerns, Scientific Evidence, and Future Studies" in which they examined the currently recommended vaccine schedule. From the abstract "The IOM committee uncovered no evidence of major safety concerns associated with adherence to the childhood immunization schedule." It might be interesting to read if you can get a copy of the report.
LittleFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um Dr. Sears is pro-vax, he recommends almost al vaccines. I've seen him in person at a conference and yes, he's pro vax. My Ped actually recommends that book for people to research and my Ped is certainly not anti vax.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Love dr sears and what your dr never told you about vaccines. Both those books are good.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Tresor27
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Science based medicine will show the other side. You can only get access to the studies themselves if you have access to medical journals. I can tell by reading what the anti vaccine side says and really critically analyzing what they are saying and checking the sources where it is coming from. I catch these sources spreading lots of misinformation or really really distorting studies or cherry picking.
Sorry but can you clarify: Which "side" is it that you says is spreading misinformation and distorting studies?
Thanks!