Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
tazzae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleepovers ?

My almost 9 yo dd has done a couple of sleepovers. I know all the families fairly well--one since the girls were in preschool and the others are friends from our small elementary school (have been in class together for 2-4 years). If I did not know the kid and family fairly well, I would suggest a few playdates (with moms chatting too) before a sleepover.

I did many sleepovers as a kid and want my dd to have the experience as well.

We are planning a small sleepover party for dd's 9th birthday in April. She is inviting 3 or 4 good friends. I know all of the parents, and the children have been to each others' houses for multiple playdates. Should any of the girls not want to stay the night, that is just fine; we will plan something fun for the evening that they are here.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
7mom7
Registered Users

My stance for now is no sleepovers with friends...period! I had sleepovers with "trusted" friends/parents and some really bad stuff happened. I was too scared or too embarrassed to tell my parents so it continued. My kids spend the night with grandparents and I've let one friend and neighbor watch them for a couple of hours but that's about it. I don't feel like my kids will miss out on anything. I'm really kind of surprised by how many people that do sleepovers...maybe because most of our friends just don't??
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD went to her first birthday party sleepover when the kids were turning 6. She was still 5. There were 6 little girls that all slept over. Basically, because the rest of our family had plans that night, either she slept over or she couldn't go to the party at all because we weren't getting home til midnight. It was one of her friends from preschool last year, so we know the parents ok, but not great. They go to our church. I gave them my cell, and my mom's cell, and said they could call us if she was upset. She had a blast.

She then wanted a sleepover for her birthday. Nope. We did a PJ party from 5-9 instead.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I'll have to go back and read what everyone else said, as I'm curious.

To me, it's not so much the age of the child, as it is their readiness and the family they are staying with. My 5 yr old had a sleepover this summer with her cousin. But, it was her cousin and it was right next door to her grandparents' house, which is where we were staying. ODD tried a sleepover at 5 with a friend across the street, but she ended up coming home by midnight. She had spent the night without DH or I at both sets of grandparents' houses, though.

I have to know the family before I will approve a sleepover, though. And I don't mean have to have met them a few times. I mean I have to KNOW them.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Ds has only slept over at one friend's house. He lives 3 doors down and we know the family very well. His friend has stayed at our house too. He hasn't been invited to any other sleepovers. I wouldn't let him stay at anyone's house without meeting the parents at the very least but ideally I'd like to know the family a bit before he spends any nights there.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD went to her first sleepover that was not a family members house when she was six. It was a really good friend of mine and I had no issue letting her stay the night. I don't think that I would ever let her stay at the home of parents I've only met in passing.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Our 10 year old just went to her first sleepover this year. It was a bday party with 3 other girls, hubby went in to meet and talk with the parents, and i had also talked with the mom on the phone. They live down the road from us. We also hosted our first bday slumber parties this year for both our daughters, ages 10 and 8. We knew most of the girls and parents personally as they were either neighbors or the daughter of a close friend of ours. I see nothing wrong with bday slumber parties when the kids are mature enough to spend the night, and I went to slumber parties all the time as a kid. Our 10 year old was invited to one other slumber party this year, but we declined because we weren't comfortable with the parents. If you have a bad feeling about the parents or situation obviously say no way, but otherwise I think it's good for kids to have fun away from mom and dad with their friends. Also, our kids have been having slumber parties with their grandparents since they were toddlers, so they are well accustomed to being away from us
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
Dd1 -8 - was asked to a sleepever recently but she's totally not ready (she still struggles to go spend the night at Grandma's house). But some of the other parents were shocked that my reason for saying no was I had never met the girl or her family and I wasn't going to let my 8yr spend the night with a stranger (more or less). I'm sure the family is very nice but I'd still like yo know the family a little bit before sending my kid over. I didn't even know where thet live - the mom was going to pick them up from school and bring them home tthe next day. I just found it odd but very few people held my opinion.
Yeah, no way in that situation. Sorry the other parents acted shocked; it sucks to be treated like you're the one who's off. But I'm 100% on your side.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

My oldest started sleepovers at 6 in 1st grade. Because he attends a very small school, we had known the children for a couple of years already and had frequent encounters with the parents. I would not say that I am close friends with all of the other parents at whose homes my kids have spent the night, but I have at least had an opportunity to meet each one.

My daughter started sleepovers just before she turned 5. She stayed at a friend's home who we'd known since our oldest was 3. I love sleepovers, except as they get older, they tend to get little to no sleep.

My kids are soon to turn 12, 10 and 8 and I would say that we have 4-6 sleepovers a month between the 3 of them. Sometimes they have friends here, sometimes at another child's home. In fact, I am so excited for Saturday night. They were each invited to sleep at a different friend's house and DH and I will have the house to ourselves. So, yup - we love sleepovers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

My kids are soon to turn 12, 10 and 8 and I would say that we have 4-6 sleepovers a month between the 3 of them. Sometimes they have friends here, sometimes at another child's home. In fact, I am so excited for Saturday night. They were each invited to sleep at a different friend's house and DH and I will have the house to ourselves. So, yup - we love sleepovers.
I can't wait for those days to come!! Lol
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote