Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who uses Ambleside online or Charlotte Mason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Well with him being SN and needing help in certain subjects and my youngest being gifted and advanced in areas it may be possible to meet them in the middle. I bought Life of Fred for Kearnan for math next year, I expect he will probably be able to handle that on his own as he is gifted in math he just wasn't loving Saxon. We will continue with Spell By Color year two, I think it fits well with the Charlotte Mason approach and I know he can do it on his own. That just leaves me trying to decide what to do as far as history, science, and the core reading. I don't think it would be a problem to choose books that fit both of my boys considering Kearnan is immature for his age (his emotional and developmental level is more at his brother's level) then Tharen will continue with his phonics program and they can both do copy work. I would like to see them both do more writing.
It is possible to meet in the middle for some things. Art/music/copy work time/poetry/mapping/book of centuries could all be done together. Look through the book lists and see what level each might be on. I emailed you my weekly schedule for the first eight weeks of Year 5.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
It is possible to meet in the middle for some things. Art/music/copy work time/poetry/mapping/book of centuries could all be done together. Look through the book lists and see what level each might be on. I emailed you my weekly schedule for the first eight weeks of Year 5.
Thank you so much, it will be very helpful as I try to write out a lesson plan. This is something I've never really done before. I've read over the book lists for every year from 2nd-6th and even though Kearnan will be finishing 5th grade and should be entering 6th I just don't think there is any way he could do the 6th grade program. I would have to read every single book for him/to him which would take all day. Looking over the lists it looks like the history and and natural science books are pretty much the same through out just reading different chapters and there is a good chance we would choose to use our own science curriculum. I'm leaning towards using the 3rd year book list, reading history and natural history aloud to both boys and then letting Kearnan read from the literature book list while I choose from a separate list for Tharen. I may choose from the 2nd or 1st year list or I may just pick my own books. He and I have been doing Aesop so we may just move along to Rudyard Kipling and see how it goes from there. Then in the future we will see if they can stay together or if they need to progress apart.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked at the www.simplycharlottemason.com. They have some great info as well as a chart at what your day could look like at different grades. It has lot of great resources as well. You could easily adapt your day for secular learning. Good luck. I am researching CM right now as well. I like the looseness of the style but still with structure if that makes sense.
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Thank you so much, it will be very helpful as I try to write out a lesson plan. This is something I've never really done before. I've read over the book lists for every year from 2nd-6th and even though Kearnan will be finishing 5th grade and should be entering 6th I just don't think there is any way he could do the 6th grade program. I would have to read every single book for him/to him which would take all day. Looking over the lists it looks like the history and and natural science books are pretty much the same through out just reading different chapters and there is a good chance we would choose to use our own science curriculum. I'm leaning towards using the 3rd year book list, reading history and natural history aloud to both boys and then letting Kearnan read from the literature book list while I choose from a separate list for Tharen. I may choose from the 2nd or 1st year list or I may just pick my own books. He and I have been doing Aesop so we may just move along to Rudyard Kipling and see how it goes from there. Then in the future we will see if they can stay together or if they need to progress apart.
It sounds like a plan! My son was half way through sixth grade when I pulled him out this year. He wasn't ready for the year 6 work even though he is an advanced student and has always been in a multi-grade classroom or homeschooled! I think AO is about two-three years above public school levels. So Year six is more like grade 8 or 9.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Im grateful for this thread Im thinking about doing Ambleside next year now and by clicking links, starting here, I found our math program for next year too
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Anyone mind if I throw out a question? To me it seems like reading a chapter book over the course of half the year would be confusing...? Im looking at year 1, my son will be 6 in april and grade 1 next year, and several of the books are "read 1 chapter/week" ....
How well does that work? Does anyone here tweek the schedule to read full books/week instead?

eta~ I hope this isnt a dumb question :shy: And I don't think it would be that confusing, except that this is SO much reading, Im worried ds would get the stories confused and not be able to keep up with each one in his mind

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 02-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Anyone mind if I throw out a question? To me it seems like reading a chapter book over the course of half the year would be confusing...? Im looking at year 1, my son will be 6 in april and grade 1 next year, and several of the books are "read 1 chapter/week" ....
How well does that work? Does anyone here tweek the schedule to read full books/week instead?

eta~ I hope this isnt a dumb question :shy: And I don't think it would be that confusing, except that this is SO much reading, Im worried ds would get the stories confused and not be able to keep up with each one in his mind
I wondered about that as well and it is one of the questions on the FAQ at Ambleside. This will be my first year doing this so I have not tried it out yet and can't speak to how well it works but the slow reading and not spending too much time in each day on each book is supposed to help the child get the most out of the book and also preserve attention span.

Here is what the FAQ has to say about it

Quote:
Can children follow the plots of many books read slowly in the same term? Why shouldn't I just read the books at a quicker pace so my child can focus on just one or two at a time?

Education is more than the accumulation of knowledge. Maturity and wisdom require reflective thought about ideas. Rushing through lots of books doesn't leave the book in contact with the child long enough to make the kind of lasting impression that will influence him. Getting through a book at a quick pace leaves room for little else besides a brief brush with the storyline; it leaves no time for the mind to linger with the characters and contemplate their moral aspect. Taking an entire term to read a book allows the child to almost live the book in a way not possible if he breezed through it in a week or two before picking up the next one. Ambleside schedules a few books to be savored simultaneously over the entire term to give the child more time with the ideas and allow him more than casual contact with its ideas. In the end, it may result in fewer books being read, but the books are chosen with excellence in mind with an emphasize on quality over quantity. Children seem to have no more trouble following along with six books at a time than many people do following various soap operas. Read more about this topic here.
Ultimately I don't know what we will do but I do know that I read very short stories or short pieces of stories to my youngest because his attention span is so limited and it works with him. It turns out I have been reading primarily off of the AO year 1 list all of this year without realizing it (And at about the correct speed).
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
It sounds like a plan! My son was half way through sixth grade when I pulled him out this year. He wasn't ready for the year 6 work even though he is an advanced student and has always been in a multi-grade classroom or homeschooled! I think AO is about two-three years above public school levels. So Year six is more like grade 8 or 9.
That is good to know. I don't want him to be way behind but his reading and maturity level just aren't there yet. I want to do Shakespeare and I may try to add in the Plutarch if we are getting everything else done in a timely manner. I just want to have time to fun extras like baking ect. I look forward to all of the handicrafts. Kearnan wants to do spool knitting and crocheting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5 View Post
Have you looked at the www.simplycharlottemason.com. They have some great info as well as a chart at what your day could look like at different grades. It has lot of great resources as well. You could easily adapt your day for secular learning. Good luck. I am researching CM right now as well. I like the looseness of the style but still with structure if that makes sense.
I think that is what I like about it as well, that it is loose and I can work with it but it still has some structure so I don't feel like we are going completely unschooling. It is very close to what I have been doing with my youngest this year already and we were actually reading most of the AO suggested year 1 books without even planning it (in order and everything ). I also love that it is literary and nature based, the two things I love most and always wanted in a curriculum. With my oldest having so many special needs I got very swamped in the early years just trying to find something to meet his immediate needs when the school system told me he wouldn't be able to learn. Now that I have proven them wrong I want him to not just learn the basics but excel in whatever he wants to do.

Thank you for the link, I will be checking it out.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't find the reading to be confusing. It actually helps him with memory and with patience!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5 View Post
I've been looking and looking at Simple Charlotte Mason and only JUST noticed that they have a total lesson book to go with history, geography, and Bible that tells you what to do and when if you want to buy it! Am I the only one who didn't realize this at first? For instance, I'll be doing module 5 in History next year and am looking at the sample for the lesson book here: http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/early-modern/ It looks great to me! And I am loving all the "narration ideas" that are there for free as well.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote