Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:
Big Box Curriculum's?

I have been in the process of researching curriculum for my son for months now. He will be 5 in June and I plan on starting a K curriculum with him sometimes in August or September. I am expecting my fourth in May, so I want a few months to get settled before starting a new homeschooling routine.

Anyway, during my research, I have become more flustered and overwhelmed...and just plain stressed! I feel that for our first serious year of homeschooling, maybe I could benefit from a big box curriculum? I think having the lesson plans all prepared for me will be helpful...and maybe just give me an idea on how to make this all work! I know Sonlight and Calvert are some popular ones, but those are WAY, WAY out of our budget. I have heard some about My Father's World, and that price range is more doable for us. But just wondering if anyone could recommend any others that I should look at? I know the main focus for K is the three R's, so want to make sure we have something that will focus on those. So...any other recommendations? :]

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
croark
Registered Users
seller

Christian Light Education.
Abeka.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Big Box Curriculum's?

Heart of Dakota would be my choice. I tried to make HOD work about a year ago but my DS is advanced in some areas and at grade level in others. We found piecing something together is the best option for us. All of our individual products are open and go. The only "planning" I do is selecting library books that support our history and science for each week.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

On Abeka, I hope this doesn't make me sound like an idiot, but I can not figure out the website! Do they not have like a complete curriculum package to purchase, or do you have to buy it all piece by piece? I just can't figure out what I am looking at on that website...

Thank you both! :]
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Michellelg
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
We did the K curriculum with MFW and loved it We hated Sonlight. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellelg View Post
We did the K curriculum with MFW and loved it We hated Sonlight. Good luck!
I keep seeing everyone say that about MFW! The only con I have seen is that they say the reading is not that advanced for K, but that they catch up really fast in 1st? I could always supplement the reading, I guess. The one thing I like about what I hear on MFW K is that it is a slow transition into formal homeschooling. It seems like it would be very fun and relaxed!

I have been researching purchasing everything outside of the box, but I am not really sure we can afford it. I have been looking into All About Reading, Math U See and Handwriting without Tears...but it looks like it would be almost triple what buying MFW would be...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

We do a page or so of phonics pathways..18.00 for the book
Read a bob book 9.99 a Box set
Do a math lesson... Around 30 including manipulatives
I have him write a sentence using good handwriting and he draws a Picture to go with it. A dollar for the notebook, a pencil, amd a big eraser for the mess up or sloppy writing.

Anything else we do is fluff we do fluff but I dont make him its interest led usually.

We do read alot.

Our plan has evolved alot.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post
We do a page or so of phonics pathways..18.00 for the book
Read a bob book 9.99 a Box set
Do a math lesson... Around 30 including manipulatives
I have him write a sentence using good handwriting and he draws a Picture to go with it. A dollar for the notebook, a pencil, amd a big eraser for the mess up or sloppy writing.

Anything else we do is fluff we do fluff but I dont make him its interest led usually.

We do read alot.

Our plan has evolved alot.
Yeah, I think piecing it together is cheap too. We paid $130 for our pre-k through 2nd grade reading. $10 for HWOT (didn't buy any extras, don't need them), $20 for 2 Singapore workbooks, $15ish for LOF math, and LOTS of library books! Still, I understand the appeal of unit studies or a complete package. I haven't looked at MFW in a long time but I remember thinking it was pricey. How much is the K package?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Yeah, I think piecing it together is cheap too. We paid $130 for our pre-k through 2nd grade reading. $10 for HWOT (didn't buy any extras, don't need them), $20 for 2 Singapore workbooks, $15ish for LOF math, and LOTS of library books! Still, I understand the appeal of unit studies or a complete package. I haven't looked at MFW in a long time but I remember thinking it was pricey. How much is the K package?
The basic package is $124. And maybe I could get by cheaper with piecing, but I am thinking wrong on needing everything in the packages. I guess I don't understand how to get away with just buying only certain things instead of the whole kit. Never having used any of this stuff before, I am so unsure what I do or don't need!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

That is affordable...I was thinking it was 300+