Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please tell me everything you know about a drug-addicted baby

Please tell me anything. Link me to webpages, blogs, tell me about books, tell me your personal stories, anything. What does this mean for the baby, and what does this mean long-term? The baby is on methadone for withdrawal now and is expected to be in the hospital for about 2 months, if those details help at all.

Advertisement

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Each drug is different and much of it depends on how long mom used the harder drug (usually heroin) before starting on the methadone program.

We have only had one methadone baby and after her 7 weeks of hospital withdrawals she did very well when she came home with us. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They cry and cry and cry some more. And its not just a normal cry it can be high pitched and piercing. These babies need tons and tons of patience. Know about NASS scoring and how the baby has done in the hospital. They also eat and suck like crazy and have loose stools. They also need lower stimulation. I work with these kind of babies but I have no insight on what it is like at home. Your can pm me if you have other questions.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me everything you know about a drug-addicted baby

It REALLY varies. I've had one methadone baby (originally born addicted to heroin) and she spend a few days in the hospital on it (this was after she had been released to me originally from the hospital) and she was on a taper for about a month and I administered it to her. She did okay. Fussy, but not terrible. I hear now at just she of a year old that she's doing really well.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl View Post
They cry and cry and cry some more. And its not just a normal cry it can be high pitched and piercing. These babies need tons and tons of patience.
Yes to this. The crying is so awful and heartbreaking. My dad spent many hours walking the street with my (adopted) brothers as they screamed. They are all grown up now and fairly normal, but there were lots of struggles.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

A foster parent who spoke to our class has had several and she said after the withdrawal it wasn't too bad, and it depended on the baby's temperament as well. She did say though that it is important to keep in touch (check in frequently) with a doctor, and that sometimes things get lost/lost in translation between the hospital and the pediatrician, so your doctor should definitely get a copy of all records and be well briefed on the baby's status and treatment plan.

Last edited by anne_josh; 03-09-2013 at 12:45 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I now have my first drug addicted baby. Mom was taking seven different prescription narcotics through out her whole pregnancy. I got him at 14 days old. His only symptom is frequent sneezing.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of my clients are drug exposed infants.....it greatly varies to no probs at all (well, who knows what can show up later on in life) to needing therapy, delays, etc. The local hospitals here use morphine to detox the babies and sometimes they also add phenobarbital.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
lepidoptera
Registered Users
seller

I know one whose foster mother relinquished the baby after 2 months because he cried too much . Broke my heart.

They do cry a lot more, because they're in withdrawal, and it hurts and it sucks. It's not their fault they are in pain. You just have to remember that you're doing your best to comfort them, and that even if it seems like it doesn't, just you being there makes them feel so much better.
lepidoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepidoptera View Post
I know one whose foster mother relinquished the baby after 2 months because he cried too much . Broke my heart.

They do cry a lot more, because they're in withdrawal, and it hurts and it sucks. It's not their fault they are in pain. You just have to remember that you're doing your best to comfort them, and that even if it seems like it doesn't, just you being there makes them feel so much better.
Sounds like she didn't have the proper training of she didn't realize that was what she was getting into...