Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
dental work and bfing

Once my DD2 is born I have to go back to the dentist to get some major work/surgeries done. I'm talking removing 6 teeth (all root canals that went bad ) finishing up other root canals, just a big mess in there. Will it be ok to still bf? I don't take pain pills at all so I don't have to worry about that part but I'm concerned if the amount of novacaine I'll be getting will effect my bm and the baby, especially since they usually give me quite some hefty doses in there too for the work they have to do.

Advertisement

MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: dental work and bfing

i would talk to your dentist. i have never heard of any dental work being a problem, but mention it jsut to be on the safe side.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
moni54
Registered Users

You could also put a call in to your Ped or Ped nurse and see what they have to say. I'd personally get at least 2 opinions, but I'm a bit paranoid...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had extensive dental work done under novocaine and gas. Neither affected my milk or my DD. Novocaine is a local anaesthetic. If you had to have a perineal repair done post-delivery, they used a local anaesthetic unless you were under a regional anaesthetic. Gas leaves the system as soon as you breathe without the cannula on your nose.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

i'm sure it is fine mama, though i would ask a professional as well. i'm pregnant and nursing and in the month of august/september, i've had a root canal and will get a total of eight fillings. they did/will use a different numbing agent though, it wears off much more quickly than novacaine.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
jenjen31
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to have some dental surgery a few months ago and I was concerned about the meds. I called a lactation nurse at a local hospital and spoke to them about what was safe and they pretty much told me I would be okay.
I would call a lactation nurse and talk to your dentist, too. They should be able to tell you the risks and alternatives!

Good luck with the dental work- I had to have apical surgery to correct a failed root canal from 10 years ago, so I definately feel your pain!
Wife to Roband SAHM to Owen 1/23/09, Ryan 6/26/06, Nathan 11/08/00 and #4, a girl, Emmeline 3/05/12!
ebay feedback
jenjen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

what ever you chose too do all i say is be sure too get advice from a pro who is pro-bring!! my dentists told me it was not safe too bf with gas and novacane. so i listened and pumped and dumped for three days. i would have went longer like she said but i found out it was safe and gave her a peice of my mind. she assured me she knew about breastfeeding, wrong i had five teath pulled and one cut out from my jaw bone, i didn't think it went too bad on just gas and a local. i also healed alot faster than my dh did when he only had four teath pulled while knocked out.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a cavity filled when DD was a few months old. The dentist asked me to pump-n-dump for 24 hours just to be safe, but he said I didn't have to. I also work full time, so I know that she takes a bottle fine and all that. I really didn't have to prepare much, YKWIM....Hope the dental work goes okay!!

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas The surgery probably won't be until around December anyway so I'll definitely ask my dentist, OB and may as well ask the lactation consultant at the hospital too right? Can never have too many opinions on that area Thanks mamas!
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote