Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Birth Plan?

I have had doula clients who need to prepare a few birth plans, just so they feel adequately covered and taken care of. If you make different ones for different situations (normal vaginal birth, cesarean birth, I even had a couple who felt the need to make one in case there was major trouble with baby but there wasn't), then you just pull out the one that applies.

I agree, the most important thing about taking the time to create a birth plan is to ensure you and your partner are on the same page when it comes to making decisions, whether or not it is actually pulled out and used.

Advertisement

birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So much of that sample plan includes things I hadn't even heard of/considered (such as delayed cord cutting). Clearly, I need to do more research.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
birdinhand
Registered Users

What are you wanting info about? I am sure we could direct to resources.

Here's a good start with delayed cord clamping:

A couple of other things she doesn't mention: When the cord is allowed to stay intact, babies get more red blood cells and their iron stores can build up. Breastmilk is low in iron, and a baby's iron stores have to last them for about 6 months, or until they start solids. Even though bm is low in iron that doesn't mean there is anything wrong -- more likely babies don't need as much iron as we think, but we don't have a lot of research about that aspect. The iron in bm is highly bio-available, with 50-75% of it going to the baby; on the other hand, iron-fortified formula and cereal is only about 5-7% bioavailable! Because of that, more iron has to be put in thoe iron-fortified foods, and that can cause gut upset, constipation, and stinky poops. Also, that manufactured iron can interfere with the baby's ability to absorb the iron in bm. So that all aside, lol, there is an additional benefit to delayiing cord-cutting, lol.

I have a list of about 8 different procedures/interventions I could email you if you are interested.

ETA: Erin, I forgot you gave your email yesterday -- I will email you this document, it will be a good starting point to checking into things you are unsure about.

Last edited by birdinhand; 02-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bird in Hand---Could you pm me about the list of 8 different procedures/interventions??
mdm81888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to know, thanks for that video link! I need to take more time to poke around. If I end up having questions, I'll shoot you a message. Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
birdinhand
Registered Users

mdm, I pm'd it to you -- let me know if it didn't come through okay b/c of how it was formatted...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
What are you wanting info about? I am sure we could direct to resources.

Here's a good start with delayed cord clamping:

A couple of other things she doesn't mention: When the cord is allowed to stay intact, babies get more red blood cells and their iron stores can build up. Breastmilk is low in iron, and a baby's iron stores have to last them for about 6 months, or until they start solids. Even though bm is low in iron that doesn't mean there is anything wrong -- more likely babies don't need as much iron as we think, but we don't have a lot of research about that aspect. The iron in bm is highly bio-available, with 50-75% of it going to the baby; on the other hand, iron-fortified formula and cereal is only about 5-7% bioavailable! Because of that, more iron has to be put in thoe iron-fortified foods, and that can cause gut upset, constipation, and stinky poops. Also, that manufactured iron can interfere with the baby's ability to absorb the iron in bm. So that all aside, lol, there is an additional benefit to delayiing cord-cutting, lol.

I have a list of about 8 different procedures/interventions I could email you if you are interested.

ETA: Erin, I forgot you gave your email yesterday -- I will email you this document, it will be a good starting point to checking into things you are unsure about.
Could you send me the list too? You would think with my fourth, I would know it all!

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it came through just fine. THANKS!!
mdm81888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
birdinhand
Registered Users

delicatefade that was a big mess. Can I email you instead? PM your email. It is too long to go through correctly...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
xmom4328
Registered Users
seller

This is baby number 2 for us and we will hopefully have a natural birth as we did with the first at a birth center with a midwife - fingers crossed. I am all for the birth tub but with my first my contractions actually slowed down when I was in the tub but I am going to try again with number 2. Definitely will delay cutting the cord and the eye ointment and no hep b shot. We will also be using a doula this time. For some reason I am more nervous this time around then before. I guess its because I am dreading the back labor I had to endure with my first.
xmom4328 is offline   Reply With Quote