Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Can you prevent Jaundice? or help me stick it out in the hospital for 48 hours?

What was the reason for the jaundice? All my kids were jaundiced, the first being the worst, due to ABO incompatability. I was anemic the first time and my milk came in slowly so I'm sure that it contributed to the degree of jaundice. I drank mothers milk tea starting right after delivery last time around and my milk came in super quick. I don't know if it was the tea, or just 3rd pregnancy things happen faster. He was still jaundiced and needed phototherapy, but at least we were able to go home after our 48 hours.

Jenn, happily married to 10/96,
mom to 12/01, and 3/04,
momma again to 1/10, and a new baby 3/13
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm not sure it can be prevented. I wouldn't freak out over normal newborn jaundice though. If your baby's bilirubin levels aren't at a safe level then the doctor wouldn't be discharging him or her. At the least you would be sent home with a bili blanket. My DS spent 9 days in the hospital due to jaundice.

I have hyperbilirubin anemia and I'm almost always experiencing some state of jaundice. All my babies have had some stage of jaundice, I don't expect this one to be different.

Nursing as much as possible to encourage BM's and exposing the baby to sunlight is helpful and what our pediatrician recommends. I've never heard of giving Vit D drops so that is something I would discuss with the pediatrician beforehand.
WVflipflopmama is offline   Reply With Quote