Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #121
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker
Let children enjoy the days for what they are.
What the holiday is, is different to her. She grew up with a different set of experiences. That doesn't make her views wrong, just different. I haven't yet seen a post where she's said she wants everyone to stop celebrating on her behalf.

This thread kind of makes me sad. I feel like I keep reading over and over again "this is how we do it in America. Americans are always right. There's only one way to do things; our way." So what if she grew up somewhere where Valentine's was an adult thing? That doesn't make it wrong; we just happen to do things differently here. She's been told over and over that the holiday is celebrated differently here than she's used. I think she's grasped it by now.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #122
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Valentine's Day vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I wonder when the custom started. My husband is 47 and the concept is foreign to him too.

ETA: My husband is American and lived in many coastal states as a child because his dad was in the navy. So, he "experienced" America with more variety than someone who stayed in just one town their whole lives. He also did not tell me that it is normal for his odler kids to do stuff on V-day, so I assume that he is oblivious at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
What the holiday is, is different to her. She grew up with a different set of experiences. That doesn't make her views wrong, just different. I haven't yet seen a post where she's said she wants everyone to stop celebrating on her behalf.

This thread kind of makes me sad. I feel like I keep reading over and over again "this is how we do it in America. Americans are always right. There's only one way to do things; our way." So what if she grew up somewhere where Valentine's was an adult thing? That doesn't make it wrong; we just happen to do things differently here. She's been told over and over that the holiday is celebrated differently here than she's used. I think she's grasped it by now.
You must be reading a different thread. I got the impression that OP is trying to reconcile the difference between what she learned growing up and what she sees going on around her child now. She's even gone as far as to try and say that her husband, who did grow up in the states, doesn't remember it being like rhis as a child. Almost like she's not quite convinced that it has always trended this way.

People have merely chimed in to say how it really is this way here and has been this way here. They have also made sure to express how kid appropriately it is celebrated. It's not a matter of it being the "right" way, but more of acknowledging that, yes, it is that way here and there is nothing inherently aero g or evil in the way that we involve kids in the celebration.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #123
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Obviously text lends itself to be interpreted differently by different readers. I felt like OP's thread started as, "wow, this is strange." Then readers explained it was pretty normal here. OP commented that even her husband was unfamilar with it and wondered if it was possibly a newer custom. Readers followed up with "we did it when I was in school x years ago." Most posters seemed just to be sharing their experiences, but I've seen several posts saying OP must have been oblivious to not notice the Valentines in stores, etc.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #124
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Honestly in the US for the most part V-Day is celebrated equally.

You want to hear some screwed up V-Day celebration customs is Japan. Valentine's Day in Japan and giving chocolates is the responsibility for the girls. Now here, we give chocolates to everyone in the family including friends and even co-workers because we just love chocolates. But over there, specific term is used for that type of chocolate called 'giri' meaning independent. So employees, close friends and girls/women that want to give their counterpart chocolates will give these specifically stated independent chocolates to males.

Now here's the really screwed up part (more in the F category). Not everyone gets these independent chocolates. So you have boys growing up who some are getting chocolates from girls while others independent chocolates. But SOME don't get ANY...like me Do you know the kind of emotional damage it causes when you can't even get a single piece of chocolate?

So anyway, the guys who gets chocolate celebrate March 14th (White Day) and return white chocolates to the ladies who gave them the love or independent chocolates. It's so commercialized over there like here...I'll admit they do make some fine chocolates over there.
Ha-ha, the Japanese thing is new apparently. I saw this on Yahoo today.

Quote:
In the 50s, when chocolate companies began encouraging people to celebrate Valentine's Day in Japan, a mistranslation from one company gave people the idea that it was customary for women to give chocolate to men on the holiday. And that's what they do to this day. On Feb. 14, the women of Japan shower their men with chocolate hearts and truffles, and on March 14 the men return the favor. An all-around win for the chocolate companies!
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/9-litt....html?page=all
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #125
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Well I have a friend in India and she just posted pics of a huge v-day party over there and it was kids and families...so not just USA!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess you could keep your child out of school on Valentine's day if the holiday bothers you.
My daughter loves valentine's day and talks about the holiday almost all year long. For our family it is a day to show others that you care about them and appreciate having them in your life. It is one of my favorite holidays as well.
The only "sex" holiday that I am aware of is my wedding anniversary.