Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Incorrect address in paypal - how to handle reshipping?

Yes, I shipped with delivery confirmation, and yes I am aware that paypal requires it. Which is why I am especially frustrated, because I followed all of the requirements, and yet I am still the one on the hook.

I did indeed ship to the address she has listed in paypal - I printed the shipping label right from paypal, which always includes delivery confirmation in the purchase.

What I said was that I have no proof of delivery, because the post office was unable to deliver the item, because the address she has listed in paypal is not a valid address. What is a seller to do? I can't ship to a different address, because I lose seller protection. If I ship to the paypal address with delivery confirmation, and the post office returns it to me because they buyer made a mistake in entering their address information, the seller is held at fault for failing to deliver the item - that is what I am saying I am frustrated with.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

So sorry that happened to you, Jenna :-( Makes you want to take a FSOT hiatus when something like that happens...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did you write to paypal or call them? I'd talk on the phone about it, as you may find a more helpful person to talk to. I did once, and it clarified a lot, and in the end, I was not at fault for a situation that I was at first in fault with according to them, but when I explained it verbally, it helped put it in perspective.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
Did you write to paypal or call them? I'd talk on the phone about it, as you may find a more helpful person to talk to. I did once, and it clarified a lot, and in the end, I was not at fault for a situation that I was at first in fault with according to them, but when I explained it verbally, it helped put it in perspective.
Hmm, that's a good point. Thanks for the suggestion. I wrote them rather than calling, and their emails have been cut and paste of canned info, with a sentence or two added - not helpful at all :-( Talking to a real human would likely be helpful.

There isn't any dispute in paypal at the current time, so no one is at fault for anything. I just wrote them to ask them what to do in the situation and what my options are. The buyer didn't complain to anyone. It was me that contacted both her and paypal when it was returned to me, as I didn't know what would be customary in such a situation.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you talked with the buyer about the solution? Let her know if she wants it shipped to the new updated address in paypal (not just one she pms you) that she is responsible to pay for it?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Does the DC happen to show invalid address or returned? That should be sufficient to show attempted delivery and failure. And in conjunction with her emails acknowledging wrong address should show it was not you at fault.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have talked to the buyer about the problem. I have not directly asked her to pay for the reshipping at this point, because I wanted to first understand what was customary / required by paypal. I did ask her if she had looked into her paypal account to make sure the address is correct. I have not heard back yet, and her address still appears the same to me when I look.

The delivery confirmation says "Notice Left" and then "Missent" three times. You can see the post office was trying to find the correct PO branch (they were sending it back and forth between zips in her state). Paypal indicated via email that this is insufficient and that I will only qualify for seller's protection once I have "proof of delivery" - as in, they do not consider proof of attempt at delivery to qualify you. But, I think I will do as crunchymamaNY suggested and call paypal to talk to a real human being. I'm also going to the PO to find out if the original shipping label can still be used (though I'm expecting that it can't).
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You should talk to the buyer. All this back and forth with paypal and here and stress over it could be for nothing.