Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this punishment enough?

dmy oldest was to bring home note to be signed. i found in trash. we told teacher as it was knote saiying she didnt listen or something. we just made it note to make sure she knew no matter what type of note we need to see.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #32
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Nah. I'd bet that once you've had kiddos that age dealing with similar issues, especially if they are an underlying theme, you'll feel differently.
Or not. I wasn't raised with such harsh consequences, and I will raise my kids how I was raised. I don't see that changing.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My almost 7 yo was just grounded from tv for a week for lying to me. It was not too terrible what she did to start with but she denied it and talk about drama! That's her usual mo...lie and cry and throw a fit trying to get me to cave. Last time it happened I told her that was her free chance. The next time she was losing tv for a week and she did.

I gave her plenty of opportunity to come clean and she knew the consequences. If this is repeat behavior I totally understand and agree with your punishment.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
If I forgot my badge, I'd get a temp one, go to work, and do my job. There wouldn't be a consequence for forgetting a badge, because even one of the strictest buildings and jobs could understand that sometimes, stuff happens.
It was an analogy, used for an example. At any rate, at my particular place of employment, there were no temporary badges unless you were a cleared visitor who didn't have their own badge. The known consequence of forgetting one's badge at my workplace was being late for work because you had to go back and get it from home.

At any rate, if the known consequence for forgetting to get one's binder signed is to lose points towards a party, then that's just what happens. It's not even a punishment, IMO, it's just a consequence, and it has nothing to do with the lying/forgery.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep
I may be the odd one out here, but I don't think it's excessive at all. Lying is about the most serious offense in our home, and we take it super seriously.

With that said, I feel the punishment is probably enough to make an impact on him.
I'm with you. Doesn't seem harsh for a 9yo at all.

Especially as the last straw in a string of things.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I was military and high security, I don't think it got more strict than that
That's exactly the type of workplace I was referring to in my example. We did not have temp badges. I lived 45 minutes from work, and I forgot my badge exactly once. Let's just say that my boss was not exactly in the "oh well, stuff happens" school of thought, and the co-worker I was supposed to be relieving wasn't thrilled either.

Quote:
But dude, he is 8. I guess it just comes down to parenting styles, I obviously don't have the same as some here
That's sort of my point. It's much easier to learn this stuff at nine, when the only bad thing that happens to you is that you lose a party and have to write sentences, than it is to learn at 25 when your boss doesn't tolerate you forgetting stuff and then lying about it or forging his signature. Maybe the OP's son will always have lenient bosses or workplaces, or maybe he will naturally grow out of forgetting things and lying about it. I have to say, though, that I was a forgetful kid and I have had to work very, very hard to overcome it as an adult. I sort of wish my parents and teachers had taken a harder line with me when I was a kid instead of letting me get away with excuses or pleading for mercy.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #37
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that was appropriate punishment
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #38
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
It was an analogy, used for an example. At any rate, at my particular place of employment, there were no temporary badges unless you were a cleared visitor who didn't have their own badge. The known consequence of forgetting one's badge at my workplace was being late for work because you had to go back and get it from home.

At any rate, if the known consequence for forgetting to get one's binder signed is to lose points towards a party, then that's just what happens. It's not even a punishment, IMO, it's just a consequence, and it has nothing to do with the lying/forgery.
Did I say there shouldn't be a consequence? No. I said I don't think the punishments fit the crime.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #39
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
I was military and high security, I don't think it got more strict than that But dude, he is 8. I guess it just comes down to parenting styles, I obviously don't have the same as some here
Not to burst your bubble but there are def jobs that have 0 tolerance on forgetting your ID. My dh is working at an oil refinery right now. Guess what, if he doesn't have his badge he won't get thru the gate. He would have to come back and get it. It's happened to his coworkers.

Op lying is a bug deal in my house too. I font think the punishment is too harsh all. I'm kinda surprised how many ppl appear to think its no big deal.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amegrl520 View Post
Not to burst your bubble but there are def jobs that have 0 tolerance on forgetting your ID. My dh is working at an oil refinery right now. Guess what, if he doesn't have his badge he won't get thru the gate. He would have to come back and get it. It's happened to his coworkers.

Op lying is a bug deal in my house too. I font think the punishment is too harsh all. I'm kinda surprised how many ppl appear to think its no big deal.
I was pointing out its a lousy analogy. I've never met someone who has never forgotten a thing. And if you do, sometimes there is a consequence, sometimes there isn't. Being super harsh isn't any more right than not, it's all about how you decide to parent.

Last edited by Tris; 02-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote