Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill View Post
So what are options other than raw? My pooch has bad dandriff and fatty cysts, if a diet change would help I would try it! We just feed Iams atm.
Cysts will happen with an older dog. Dandruff can be helped sometimes by adding a fatty acid supplement. We give our dog flax seed oil daily (it is an extremely inexpensive capsule, costco has them in bulk) and it helps her skin greatly. When we got her from lab rescue she had terrible flaky skin and a dull coat. 3 months later she was 100% improved with just a few medicated baths (she had a rash from flea bites, which she is allergic to) and flax seed oil. And speaking of Costco.. their dog food (Kirkland) is really good quality! I was impressed. You don't have to shell out tons for a decent food. Petsmart's Authority brand is really quite decent too. There are a lot of brands that are, IMO, just silly and include things like blueberries and carrots.. really? Not necessary in my view.

Advertisement

anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #32
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dog is scared outside (he has lost fights with plastic toy ducks). Wouldn't feeding him outside just stress him out? How else could I feed him raw and still not danger my growing family?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #33
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
My dog is scared outside (he has lost fights with plastic toy ducks). Wouldn't feeding him outside just stress him out? How else could I feed him raw and still not danger my growing family?
My older dog hated eating outside, but he got used to it after awhile (he gets upset by any change in his life). We feed outside in the spring/summer/fall because it is less messy (slobbber!) and then feed inside in the winter. We changed the location we feed them in this winter in the house and that threw him for a loop!

If he is a good eater and you sat out with him the first while, perhaps he would associate the yummy food with outside and be less fearful. Our smaller dog was a rescue dog and at first would get startled by any little thing while eating and take off, so I would hold his dish and call him back and pet him while he ate.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Switch him to a more healthy diet! Iams is nottttt good food and if price is a concern, you can find MUCH better quality food for a similar price as Iams (Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, etc.) Here's one awesome site for researching which food to switch to. Stick to a 4 or 5 star food:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

There is no way I could ever afford to feed most of the 5 star foods (I have one large dog and one 18lb dog) but the 4 star foods are very affordable if you just search for the right one in your area. If you don't have a major pet store in your area, a lot of farm/feed stores do carry a few quality brands of dog food as well.

FWIW, I believe Diamond Naturals is around $30 for a 40lb bag. It's not THE cream of the crop but it is a huge step up from Iams.

Diamond Naturals review: 4 stars http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...rals-dog-food/

vs Iams which it looks like is a 2 star food.
How do I figure out where to find the food without looking through each brand? I dont have a problem going 5 star just not sure where to find it. I have seen Diamond Naturals around so I might try to pick some up this weekend. Thank you for the site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
The other awesome thing about the premium food is that your dog will poop less and eat less of it because there are less fillers!
Awesome since we only have .2 of an acre!! Its full of mines atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne_josh View Post
Cysts will happen with an older dog. Dandruff can be helped sometimes by adding a fatty acid supplement. We give our dog flax seed oil daily (it is an extremely inexpensive capsule, costco has them in bulk) and it helps her skin greatly. When we got her from lab rescue she had terrible flaky skin and a dull coat. 3 months later she was 100% improved with just a few medicated baths (she had a rash from flea bites, which she is allergic to) and flax seed oil. And speaking of Costco.. their dog food (Kirkland) is really good quality! I was impressed. You don't have to shell out tons for a decent food. Petsmart's Authority brand is really quite decent too. There are a lot of brands that are, IMO, just silly and include things like blueberries and carrots.. really? Not necessary in my view.
I have some flaxseed oil here I might give it a try!

Also we have always used a big feeder and he just eats what he wants, he isnt over weight but not on the skinny side, but he is getting older. Wondering with new food if I should switch to portions instead?

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #35
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Found Hi-tek naturals on Amazon with good reviews and free shipping going to give that a try! Thanks!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Smile Re: Anyone do a raw diet for their dog?

Quote:
There is no way I would feed raw in my home, but I am sure lots of ppl do it. Not my thing for numerous reasons.

If it were me, I would create some happy experiences outside, maybe with a package of chicken hearts or liver or even a couple chicken feet for him to munch on after a good long stretch without food. He may forget all about the incidents with the plastic ducks.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 02-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The only way I would feed raw indoors is if I fed prepackaged raw or I ground it all and fed it that way. There used to be several companies that made a prepared raw food that was all ground (organ, muscle, bone and veggie together) and you just put a serving in your dog's dish. If your dog is a very neat eater (so not a dog with messy jowls or that picks food out of the dish and sits it on the floor) you could probably safely feed that and then wash the dish after each feed to keep little hands safe. I used to feed my coydog his organ and veggie meals in the house (they were a combined meal or he wouldn't eat the veggies) and I never thought a thing of it but I was a teen/young adult then and not nearly as paranoid about germs. He took his bones and muscle meat outside to eat. When I tried BARF again I ground it all myself in a meat grinder and made individual portions which I stored in the freezer but even then it wound up making me paranoid because Duke is a super sloppy eater (not even particularly clean with kibbles). I could probably do it with my other dogs but I don't see the point to do it with some and not the others.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #38
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our dog is a VERY social dog. He is a combo of a bichon and Caviliear King Charles Spaniel. So he loves being around people. We go into a different room, and unless he is starving, he will follow us and not go where his food is. He is also scared of the dark we think. Yeah we have a strange pooch! Needless to say, he is like a cat, only barks. He is always inside unless he needs to go to the bathroom, or it snowing outside. Then he loves to play out there. He also likes playing outside in social situations (like with family).

I think if we were going to do this we would do pre-packaged though.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill View Post
we have always used a big feeder and he just eats what he wants, he isnt over weight but not on the skinny side, but he is getting older. Wondering with new food if I should switch to portions instead?
The dog will tell you what it needs in this regard. I free feed our lab (trader joe's brand at the moment) kibble. If I were to give her something she liked much more, I would have to portion it out or she would make herself sick.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110

The only way I would feed raw indoors is if I fed prepackaged raw or I ground it all and fed it that way. There used to be several companies that made a prepared raw food that was all ground (organ, muscle, bone and veggie together) and you just put a serving in your dog's dish. If your dog is a very neat eater (so not a dog with messy jowls or that picks food out of the dish and sits it on the floor) you could probably safely feed that and then wash the dish after each feed to keep little hands safe. I used to feed my coydog his organ and veggie meals in the house (they were a combined meal or he wouldn't eat the veggies) and I never thought a thing of it but I was a teen/young adult then and not nearly as paranoid about germs. He took his bones and muscle meat outside to eat. When I tried BARF again I ground it all myself in a meat grinder and made individual portions which I stored in the freezer but even then it wound up making me paranoid because Duke is a super sloppy eater (not even particularly clean with kibbles). I could probably do it with my other dogs but I don't see the point to do it with some and not the others.
I agree with this...we feed the pre packaged bravo inside, but my dogs are all shorthairs and are separated in a room where the kids aren't while the eat. As soon as they finish I pick up the bowls. We've been doing it for almost two years and I never have messes. I don't think I would do raw inside if it wasn't pre packages. Bravo looks like ground beef.