Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #91
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSamsMom View Post
Isn't it funny how many Michiganite/Texan couples there are in Texas? I was born on the East side of Houston (Songwood/Jacinto City area), raised in the NE suburb Kingwood, and now live in the Spring/Woodlands area, North of Houston. I was born in 1971 and remember the oil boom years around here, when all the Northerners arrived to find work. In the Kingwood area, these folks were living down by the San Jacinto river in tents, waiting for their houses to be built. It ended up dating several of these "yanks" in High School, whose parents would talk about living in the tent cities around Houston, a good portion of them were from Michigan originally.
Everywhere we lived in Houston is no longer there. I was born in Harris County and lived on Hardy Street until about 1980. Our place was torn down not long before they put in the toll road. Then we moved to Pecos for a while. Then Tomball. And then Spring. Of course the townhouses we use to live in are no longer there either- we were right next to the Good year blimp. Then off to Kirby. We never really stayed in one place very long. My dad was in rodeo when he was younger and he never really liked staying put for long.

I miss the Galleria and the spaghetti warehouse. You know I have never been downtown underground. We went downtown a lot and I have never been there.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #92
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I'm from backwoods Michigan but spent my childhood summers with family in North Carolina. Truthfully I'm pretty sure I'm more country than the city slickers I live with in Texas now.

A couple things:
DH's grandparents had no idea what venison was.
DH had no clue what I was talking about when I asked him why he parked on the back forty.
DH was unaware that there is a difference between snow and powder. Not all snow is created equal.
I treated DH's last cold with a hot toddy and he was convinced I was trying to murder him.

What else... "Up north" is a specific place, not a direction.

All Michiganders fall into two categories: yoopers (from the you-pee) and trolls (under the bridge).

Most importantly though, pop is for drinking and soda is for baking (ie baking soda).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #93
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Aunt was pronounced like the bug for me and it wasn't pop it was paaap. When I moved to New Mexico I was asked what kind of coke I wanted and I said whatever pop you have is fine. The lady looked at me like I just asked her to pop me one. And chilli is a pepper not a dish, I ordered chilli and asked for crackers and a spoon and they laughed at me. When they asked if I wanted green or red I had this horrible vision of moldy chilli to make it green.
Oh, my! So when offered a soda, you might assume a clinical exam is on the way!

In PEI (a little island province on the East coast of Canada), having 'a pretty day' means you're not quite on the ball or just did something embarrassing in front of others. I've only heard it used gently/lovingly.

Last edited by MsGiggles; 02-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #94
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

As a native Wisconsite this pretty much sums it all up! LOL
http://www.bratwurstpages.com/dialect.html

My mom says warsh instead of wash and crick instead of creek. We all say soda and bubbler instead of pop and fountain. When we go somewhere instead of saying, "I'm going over to Grandma's house", we say, "I'm going by Grandma"

And I didn't know this but apparently it's unique how we had a preposition to the end of sentences. For example, "Why don't you come with?" I guess it's a german sentence structure thing.

I say oof dah a lot, and we say gesundheit when somebody sneezes. Traffic lights are called stop'n'go lights. We have a lot of hot dishes and casseroles.

And I guess we have more bars/taverns per square mile than any other state. Oh and 90% of the nation's brandy is drank in Wisconsin.

Who'da thought LOL

Last edited by DalesWidda; 02-15-2013 at 06:27 PM.
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #95
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
As a native Wisconsite this pretty much sums it all up! LOL
http://www.bratwurstpages.com/dialect.html

My mom says warsh instead of wash and crick instead of creek. We all say soda and bubbler instead of pop and fountain. When we go somewhere instead of saying, "I'm going over to Grandma's house", we say, "I'm going by Grandma"

And I didn't know this but apparently it's unique how we had a preposition to the end of sentences. For example, "Why don't you come with?" I guess it's a german sentence structure thing.

I say oof dah a lot, and we say gesundheit when somebody sneezes. Traffic lights are called stop'n'go lights. We have a lot of hot dishes and casseroles.

And I guess we have more bars/taverns per square mile than any other state. Oh and 90% of the nation's brandy is drank in Wisconsin.

Who'da thought LOL
I've heard (and said it myself) the "Coming with?" And the like many times. We also say warsh here, too. Well, I don't. Everyone else practically does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #96
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I'm sure some people will know these:
Hamajang
Puka
All pau
Bakatari

My favorite frame the south is: "I'm gonna learn you something."
we say "pau" all the time- Hawaiian for finished or done.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #97
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Recently moved to Wisconsin from kcmo area ... I'd call it west central they call it south central.

Anyways stop and go light, bubbler (water fountain), carry in (pot luck), hot dish ( any possible type of casserole).

Bbq sandwich seems to be what we called sloppy joes and as stated before macaroni tends to be added to all the chili! Drives dh crazy!
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #98
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSamsMom View Post
Native Texan here and I keep all the yankee transplants at the O&G company I work at rolling with laughter. All these have rolled out of my mouth at one time or another:

Here in Texas we are not "about to", or "going to", we are always "Fixin'" to do something.
This is like trying to side saddle an oyster. (impossible task)
Useless as tits on a boar hog.
So ugly they had to tie a bone around his/her neck to get the dog to play with him/her.
The Ugly Fairy beat the ever-loving sh*t out of him/her with her wand.
Your alligator mouth is about to overload your hummingbird @ss
Cuter than a yard full of puppies
Nervous as a long-tailed cat on a porch full of rocking chairs
Confused as a baby in a topless bar
You make a bed like old people f*ck, slow and sloppy.
I haven't had this much fun since the hog ate my baby brother
This is more fun than stompin baby chickens
It's so dry the trees are bribin' the dogs
He's/She's not runnin' on all eight cylinders, if ya know what I mean?
He/She's two sandwiches short of a picnic
Hotter than Hades
She'd/He'd charge Hell with a bucket of ice water.
I ate so many armadillos growing up, I still roll up in a ball, every time I hear a dog bark (something you'd say when talking about growing up poor)
Come Hell or High Water
As serious as cancer
As serious as the business end of a .45
Livin high on the hog
Fair to Middlin' (mid grades of cotton, when asked how we are doing, this is the same as saying "not so bad")
I wouldn't trust him/her as far as I could throw him/her
I wouldn't p*ss on him/her if he/she were on fire (speaking of someone you really hate)
Colder than a witches tit in December
Don't hang your wash on someone else's line
You ain't learnin nothin, if your jaws are a flappin
Always drink upstream from the herd
Lord willing and the creek don't rise
You're gonna end up being late to your own funeral (something you say to someone who is moving too slow)
I'll beat you till you bleed (similar to I'll beat your butt)
Your butt and my hand are about to have a date (threatening a spanking)
Do it again, and I'll knock you silly (or into next week)
Baptists never greet each other in a liquor store
There's more than one way to skin a cat
It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a herd of sheep
If you think you're a person of influence, try orderin somebody else's dog around
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in
When a buzzard sits on a fence starin at you, it's time to go to the doctor
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your wallet
A smart @ss just don't fit in the saddle
Don't worry about bitin off more than you can chew, your mouth is a whole lot bigger than you think
If you are riding ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.
Good judgement comes from experience and alot of that comes from bad judgement.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop diggin'
When dealin with a slick SOB, start by pinnin him down and changin his oil
If you give a lesson in meanness to a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.
Never miss a good opportunity to shut up
Couldn't pour water out of a boot if you wrote the instructions on the heel.
Gully Washer (when speaking of heavy rain)
Happy as a pig in slop
Riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels (when speaking of luck)
Happy as a two peckered dog
Warm in winter, shady in summer (speaking of someone who is fat)
Don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my @ss (confused/overwhelmed)
A day late and a dollar short
Catch ya on the back side (see you later)

My Hubby's from Michigan, and his relatives can't end a sentence without saying "you know?" I always say "Well no, I don't know?" just to get a rise out of them. I think that kills me more than my colorful Texas speech cracks them up, half the time I have to explain the meaning of the phrases I use, as I always get plenty of confused looks with some of them, then delayed laughter.
This Yankee from the middle of the east coast says most of this and I have been in my home born and raised and raising my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't know if it's local, but we say "What is WRONG with you!?!?!" when a kid does something stupid. Or my own personal favorite "Have you lost your mind?"

Even though the offenses are pretty small. In fact, for a serious offense, you wouldn't say that at all. Because it's said in almost an endearing way.
I say this too! For the same reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
Oh! I guess taking a uey isn't said other plances? (taking a u-ey) "
I say bangin' a uey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
DH had no clue what I was talking about when I asked him why he parked on the back forty. ).
I say this too along with BFE for Bum F****** Egypt meaning why did you park so far away or I had to park so far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I've heard (and said it myself) the "Coming with?" And the like many times. We also say warsh here, too. Well, I don't. Everyone else practically does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
My sister and I say this too!

We also say up the road for pretty much any destination whether it is literally up the road or 30 minutes away drives my grandmother batty she considers it to be up the road.
My Dad says cuter than a bugs ear...now has anyone ever seen a bugs ear?

I don't why but I really try to anunciate properly and not use too much slang but man oh man get me going and who knows what may come out of my mouth.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #99
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Another Canadian here. I can attest to "eh?", Tims or Timmies, and pop.

There's also "double double", which is a coffee with two creams and two sugars. I think it originated in the Tim Horton's coffee chain.

There's a hilarious book called How to be a Canadian by William and Ian Ferguson. It's a great look at Canadian stereotypes.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #100
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post

I say this too along with BFE for Bum F****** Egypt meaning why did you park so far away or I had to park so far away.
I've never heard this! I absolutely love it. I'm going to use it as often as I can .