Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #101
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Haha I say bfe too, I thought everyone did

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #102
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post

I've never heard this! I absolutely love it. I'm going to use it as often as I can .
Wow you have never heard BFE? I thought people all over the USA used it.

Where I'm from, people use hecka or he++a they add an a to everything. One phrase my Co worker used was talk about going around your a++ to get to your elbow. She was from Louisiana. I love that saying.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #103
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Honestly I have no idea what anyone says down here! I have been here for 2 yrs and I can not even take messages for dh bc I have no clue what anyone is saying. I feel like I live in a foreign country.

But the things I do here are

I am itching for-I heard one kid say "I am itching for a hotdog real bad!" I was thinking he might need to get some cjs butter for that.

Can't not--that drives dh insane.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #104
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm from Florida, now in Texas. I say swing a u-ey and y'all. BFE was learned from my Nana, along with Oy Vey and "capiche?" But I never use BFE to reference to parking. More like "I drove so-and-so home, she lives in BFE. Often used to refer to the sticks. Or just really far away.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by SewGreenBaby; 02-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #105
MyLovely
Registered Users

I've never heard the phrase BFE in my life! We just say "park out in the boonies."

Last edited by MyLovely; 02-15-2013 at 09:51 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #106
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyme View Post

Wow you have never heard BFE? I thought people all over the USA used it.
Yeah that's what I thought
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #107
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post

Aunt was pronounced like the bug for me and it wasn't pop it was paaap. When I moved to New Mexico I was asked what kind of coke I wanted and I said whatever pop you have is fine. The lady looked at me like I just asked her to pop me one. And chilli is a pepper not a dish, I ordered chilli and asked for crackers and a spoon and they laughed at me. When they asked if I wanted green or red I had this horrible vision of moldy chilli to make it green.
Here in CA no one would know what pop is. Unless you know some one who is from the Midwest or the South. Here it is soda, and when we ask if you want a Coke, we mean the brand, not just any type of Cola.

Also aunt is pronounced like the bug.
I'm going to beat you into next week is common.

Middle names mean business.

When we talk about a freeway we put the in front of the number, like "the 5" instead of I-5.

That is all I can think of for now.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #108
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSamsMom View Post
How old are you and what part of Texas are you in? If you're in one of the big cities (Dallas/Houston), they aren't going to be phrases you hear everyday, because we have so many transplants now. Head to West Texas or deep East Texas and these phrases will be evident in everyday speech. Also the older you are, the more you've probably been exposed to them. I am pushing 42 years old.
My family is generally from East Texas (Dallas to Houston/Galveston), the whole state of Louisiana, and South Arkansas. So I am very familiar with Louisiana speech. One my family always used was "Lache Pas La Patate!", literally translates as "Don't Let go of the Potatoe", meaning don't give up easily. I think that phrase is more evident around the Lafayette area, rather than N'awlins. NOLA seems to have more of a creole influence, where Lafayette is more Acadien.

Katy/Cypress area is similar to Kingwood, Clear Lake, The Woodlands...a lot of Northern Transplants that relocated here during the Oil Boom years populate these Houston suburbs, so it's not something you hear everyday, because us "true blue" Texans are quite outnumbered these days. If you are just 27, you were born well after the boom, when the natives outnumbered the transplants in the larger cities. The older you are, the more familiar you'd be with these phrases. Also if you aren't an outdoorsy person, the less you'd be exposed to this colorful speech. I've been in Oil and Gas my whole career and I spent a good portion of it out in the field, inspecting pipelines and doing environmental work.... the speech gets relatively colorful when you aren't in an office setting every day. I am also an avid biker, I fish, and hunt. This is the stuff you'll hear around a campfire at night, in an-off-the-beaten path icehouse, side of the road BBQ shack, etc.
I'm 30, but spent my first three years in Louisiana & have Acadian heritage on both sides. there aren't any "Northern Transplants" here in my family and most of my older friends/neighbors are native Texan. I'm not saying that I've never heard any of the terms, just that people don't talk like that anymore here. It sounds more like backwoods redneck talk than anything. I guess you just don't hear that living in the suburbs now. Were outdoorsy, camp out in tents, hunt, off road, crab, fish, FFA, 4H, hunt alligators, owned horses etc, I guess the terms are just out grown now.

DH is also a directional driller, he deals more with jailhouse trash talk & broken Spanish/Spanglish (although he is fluent in Spanish being Bolivian).
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #109
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Washing soda= Laundry detergent

Ice box= Refrigerator

Jommers = Pajamas

Bath=Bathtub

You can get glad in the same pants you got mad in.

We measure miles in minutes

I tend to say Bud a LOT (Like hey Bud come here / Aww, Bud it will be ok!)

We say BFE as well (I don't but it is common to hear)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #110
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No idea what BFE is
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote