Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
You're a stronger woman than I! Have a great season.
This exactly! See you after Easter

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Not a YAGE...

aww see ya after easter and on sundays!! Bet your house will stay spotless
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I haven never heard of Sunday's being excluded, I am confused about that too.
Maybe my family just made it include Sunday's as we grew up but I looked this up and yep, it says Sunday's are excluded and makes it the 40 days.
I gave up Soda and having a hard time.

ETA~
Lent is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting, special prayer and almsgiving in preparation for Easter. The name "Lent" is from the Middle English Lenten and Anglo-Saxon Lenten, meaning spring; its more primitive ecclesiastical name was the "forty days," tessaracoste in Greek. The number "forty" is first noted in the Canons of Nicaea (A.D. 325), likely in imitation of Jesus' fast in the desert before His public ministry (with Old Testament precedent in Moses and Elijah). By the fourth century, in most of the West, it referred to six days' fast per week of six weeks (Sundays were excluded); in the seventh century the days from Ash Wednesday through the First Sunday were added to make the number forty.

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 02-15-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
I think during lent they're allowed to have whatever they're giving up on Sundays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Yes. The 40 days of Lent excepts Sundays. Sundays are always a day of feast, even during Lent!

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
Wow, I'm Catholic and have never heard this before. I guess it's a modern day modification just like meatless Fridays only during Lent now instead of year-round like it used to be.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post

Wow, I'm Catholic and have never heard this before. I guess it's a modern day modification just like meatless Fridays only during Lent now instead of year-round like it used to be.
Me either. Times are changing...

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm sure I've heard of it before but since I normally give up stuff like my hair it never applies to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
Same here, I don't know about this Sunday exclusion but it kind of defeats the purpose iMO.
I looked it up and it does says Sunday's are excluded, but for our family growing up, we had no days excluded and never had meat on Fridays from Lent to Easter Sunday when the feast was shared.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I haven never heard of Sunday's being excluded, I am confused about that too.
Maybe my family just made it include Sunday's as we grew up but I looked this up and yep, it says Sunday's are excluded and makes it the 40 days.
I gave up Soda and having a hard time.

ETA~
Lent is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting, special prayer and almsgiving in preparation for Easter. The name "Lent" is from the Middle English Lenten and Anglo-Saxon Lenten, meaning spring; its more primitive ecclesiastical name was the "forty days," tessaracoste in Greek. The number "forty" is first noted in the Canons of Nicaea (A.D. 325), likely in imitation of Jesus' fast in the desert before His public ministry (with Old Testament precedent in Moses and Elijah). By the fourth century, in most of the West, it referred to six days' fast per week of six weeks (Sundays were excluded); in the seventh century the days from Ash Wednesday through the First Sunday were added to make the number forty.
wow. I don't love that, honestly
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Same here, I don't know about this Sunday exclusion but it kind of defeats the purpose iMO.
I looked it up and it does says Sunday's are excluded, but for our family growing up, we had no days excluded and never had meat on Fridays from Lent to Easter Sunday when the feast was shared.
yeah...based on what your post said, the rule was from the 300s!!! My mom would have never allowed me to "cheat" on Sundays lol
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We never cheated on Sundays either. My mom told me that growing up they had no meat on Wednesdays and FridayS during Lent and no meat year round on Fridays. For me that would be a cooking nightmare!! I had a hard time this week.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote