Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
MKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wool dryer balls

you could buy nylong leggings at the dollar store they are important in keeping the yarn together to felt.. I have about 20 dryer balls.

Advertisement

Visit my Facebook Fan page or Etsy shop!http://www.mamakaydesigns.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamakaydesigns
MKDMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
garrisoncoupon
Registered Users
seller

I make mine from wool roving as well. I've made some out of yarn that claimed to be 100% wool, but their website lists the other items in the yarn and they never felted properly. Here are some I made this week. I only use six, but their about 8-9 inches in diameter.
garrisoncoupon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDMama
you could buy nylong leggings at the dollar store they are important in keeping the yarn together to felt.. I have about 20 dryer balls.
Thank you! I just found nylon tights for $.50cents and I'll throw the balls in the washer next time I run it. I also bought yarn that said 100% wool so I really hope it is true and they will felt properly!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yarnjess, I have 7 in my dryer, 3 large and 4 small, and it seems that a couple more would make it better. The three large ones were definitely not sufficient.

I'm just perusing this thread b/c I am frustrated that some top quality wool balls that I got from a seller who has a special breed of sheep and yadda yadda are starting to shed a lot suddenly after about 1 1/2 years of use. They have lots of thin strands of wool sticking out all over now. I was just wondering if it is typical for this to happen and was seeing if you guys were sharing tips on manufacturing them in such a way that it does not.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firststella

Thank you! I just found nylon tights for $.50cents and I'll throw the balls in the washer next time I run it. I also bought yarn that said 100% wool so I really hope it is true and they will felt properly!
They didn't felt well( so I put them through several more washes and hot cycles but I only noticed they shrinked in size a little...
What should I do?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

It's fine as long as they're not unravelling, they'll work just as well. One of mine looks like a ball of wool cause it didn't felt great but does not unravel. We have a local mill that sells large pucks of roving so I'm going to make some more out of that.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
melarndt
Registered Users

Mind didn't felt well either and one is coming unraveled! Arg! Guess I'll try it with different yarn next time.
melarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So I left mine in the washer and in the dryer for other several cycles and finally they felt nicely! I put a double tie at the end of the yarn (YKWIM? I don't know the correct term in English) and they don't unravel.