Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #1441
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

Subbing for our future boy

Advertisement

aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #1442
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Had our little boy in January and happy we decided not to circ. Thanks for sharing about it. This thread and Penn and Teller on Circumcision is why Dh and I decided against it. I never thought to second guess it before.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #1443
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass
Had our little boy in January and happy we decided not to circ. Thanks for sharing about it. This thread and Penn and Teller on Circumcision is why Dh and I decided against it. I never thought to second guess it before.
Congrats on the little boy mama!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #1444
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
This is so true for us too. We would have probably just automatically done it if it weren't for seeing that episode of Penn & Teller and this thread. Once I put some serious thought and research into it, we decided it wasn't the right choice for our family... and I'm glad this thread gave me the opportunity to put some thought into it to make a decision that was right for us.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #1445
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #1446
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #1447
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

we just got back from New Zealand last night! while we were there we went to an indoor playground with a little sitting area w/ magazines. I flipped through a mainstream NZ parenting mag while there and found an article written by an Australian pediatrician in it and really enjoyed it. I took a photo of one of the quotes in it that I liked

'the only advantage of circumcision in the newborn period is that the baby is so small, he can't fight back. In a breathtaking piece of self-deception, some people believe that babies can't feel pain for the first few weeks, so no anaesthetic is necassary.'

Also talked about how it is especially dangerous to perform it on infants who naturally already have immature immune systems, are more susceptible to infections, poor clotting capabilities and reduced liver function from jaundice etc

It also covered the fallacies of cleanliness, forcible and early retraction in infants, proper cleaning and mentions that benefits are not proven or substantial, risks are not negligible, and that the lack of personal consent is a major issue. Time to catch up America!

And maybe the best line: 'it would seem reasonable if the foreskin were being removed for social reasons to obtain the permission of the owner... a 20 year old is more capable of giving informed consent'

sadly the article doesn't come up when I search the magazine's website.. in fact, there are no results for 'circumcision' on the entire site

Last edited by zandj; 02-28-2013 at 11:49 AM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #1448
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj
we just got back from New Zealand last night! while we were there we went to an indoor playground with a little sitting area w/ magazines. I flipped through a mainstream NZ parenting mag while there and found an article written by an Australian pediatrician in it and really enjoyed it. I took a photo of one of the quotes in it that I liked

'the only advantage of circumcision in the newborn period is that the baby is so small, he can't fight back. In a breathtaking piece of self-deception, some people believe that babies can't feel pain for the first few weeks, so no anaesthetic is necassary.'

Also talked about how it is especially dangerous to perform it on infants who naturally already have immature immune systems, are more susceptible to infections, poor clotting capabilities and reduced liver function from jaundice etc

It also covered the fallacies of cleanliness, forcible and early retraction in infants, proper cleaning and mentions that benefits are not proven or substantial, risks are not negligible, and that the lack of personal consent is a major issue. Time to catch up America!

And maybe the best line: 'it would seem reasonable if the foreskin were being removed for social reasons to obtain the permission of the owner... a 20 year old is more capable of giving informed consent'

sadly the article doesn't come up when I search the magazine's website.. in fact, there are no results for 'circumcision' on the entire site
Nice! I wonder if you can contact the magazine and request a copy or request that the article be posted online?

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #1449
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good info. DH is intact and he is happy he is. Happy me and him for have to argue over if we wanna do it or not.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #1450
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood: