Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Chores

So I'm wanting to set up a more organized chore system for my kids. Right now I just give him a job that needs done and more often than not he fights me on it. I think if I have a scheduled set of chores it will go over better.

So...what's your routine?? He is 5 and goes to school through the week.

Thanks for your input!!

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores

Tharen cleans the bathroom every Thursday (that was just the easiest day to do it). Kearnan cleans the playroom and shared bedroom, dusts and vacuums (he only vacuums those two rooms) on Friday. Throughout the week they both help with the dishes and laundry, taking out recycling and stuff for the compost bin. If there is any rule breaking I may tell them to go choose a chore from their chore list or I may just assign a chore like scrubbing walls, cleaning base boards, vacuuming the living room or whatever I think of. If they balk they go to their room and I assign two chores when they come out. My boys are 7 and 11.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My 9 year old dd takes the garbage out of the house to the big cans outside. She also folds the towels and put them away. She mops the kitchen an dining room because she loves to and took that over. LOL!

My 12yo dd unloads the dishwasher. She also takes turns sweeping the kitchen and dining room with my 17yo dd. She feeds and waters the cats. She cleans their catbox weekly and scoops daily.

My 17yo dd sweeps the kitchen and dining room every other night, the nights my 12yo dd doesn't. She feeds and waters the dogs, picks up dog poo from the yard. She cleans and scrubs her bathroom weekly and as needed inbetween.

My 7yo dd gathers the garbage from the bathrooms as needed. She also folds and puts away towels. She sets the table and helps clear it.

My 5yo ds sets and clears the table. He brings wood into the house for the wood stove. He loves to clean the ashes out of the woodstove. He also lays and starts the fire in it. He keeps "stoking" the fire. He makes sure it doesn't burn out. (He is very mature and has been properly taught how to do this)

They all help clean the house daily. They move furniture as I vacuum. They all help wipe down the table and chairs after meals. I wash all the clothes and hang/fold them. They put their clothes up. I load the dishwasher because it has to be done a certain way! LOL! I do make them unload it. We all work together but that is the routine we have settled into.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

My older kids (I can see a 5 yr old doing these) take turns doing these weekly chores:
Sweep/mop kitchen or dining room
Take trash/recycling to curb
Sweep wood stairs/vacuum basement ones
Vacuum family room

They do their own laundry as well

2 1/2 yr old helps take out the trash, put dishes in sink or away, etc
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids don't have any set chores right now - they do have to tidy their bedrooms, living room, and play room before bed, but that's about it.
They do have to do chores and help out around the house in order to earn stars for video game time, though, and that seems to work for now. For different chores they earn one or 2 stars (depending on the chore), each star gives them 15mins of game time, they have a limit of one hour a day.

I do think I need to get DD at least doing her own laundry - mainly because she keeps blaming me when she doesn't have the clothes she wants clean when she wants to wear them. I don't appreciate being treated like a slave!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The link below is what we use. I changed it slightly to fit our needs. My 7 year old and twin 5 year olds LOVE it. We started it about a month ago.

Mine get tickets for doing chores. (I bought the tickets for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. They look like the ones included with the download.) Every Sunday night we have "ticket night." They get to choose treats to buy with their tickets. It's things like a juice boxes which we rarely have and fruity snacks with we don't have either or a Toosie Roll or something like that. They can also turn their tickets in for money. One ticket = $.05 because mine get a lot of tickets and I have 6 kids total. And, just to get them super excited I bought some $5-7 toys at Target (small Lego sets and little princess dolls and such) and put a ticket amount on them. They can save up their tickets to earn these toys. They have been doing this. It is teaching them about money (using tickets) and saving and working for something. They LOVE it.

The kids turn their chore cards backwards in the slot as they do their chores. Each evening the "Ticket Fairy" visits and gives out the tickets after they are asleep. (Or the next morning when they say "Mom, you didn't give us our tickets." ) I really like it too because I don't have to try to remember what they did. It is their responsibility to turn their cards around.

We have been doing this for about a month and it's been doing great!

Here is the link. I printed everything and cut and laminated it. I bought the hanging chart she suggests.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschoole...art-cards.html
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone...I have more ideas to go with now...I just need to figure out what kind of chart works for us.

My other concern is that he is such a dawdler. I'm wondering if I need to look into a timer of some kind.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote