Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
mimihol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing and Pregnant-That's right grandma and were not stopping

So yesterday I went to visit my mom who lives about an hour away. She takes care of elderly in her home and we dont visit much because my 3 older kids are rowdy. It pretty much went horrible but the worst part was when my mom asked me if I was still nursing and of course I told her the truth and she went on to tell me how horrible it was for the baby in the tummy and my 14 month old. So then when my grandma came over she proceeded to tell her that I was nursing and pregnant and how to tell me about how horrible it is. She was a midwife in Mexico like 3o years ago. And thinks she knows everything she said the baby isn't going to get the nutrition and that the toddler is going to be sick. I told her my midwives said it was fine she said they didn't care about me or the baby. ughhh so frustrating she then proceeded to tell me about how I was having my kids to close together how unhealthy it was for me and how I should and needed to take birth control. Gotta love the family.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing and Pregnant-That's right grandma and were not stopping

So sorry that you have to deal with that. I don't think that getting pregnant after 1 year is having your children very close at all! I nursed my DS1 until he self-weaned at 18 months when I lost my milk about halfway through my pregnancy. My OB (who was a pretty by the book not natural OB) said it was fine and that women had done it throughout history. Hang in there, you know what's right for your babies and yourself.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yuck!

to you. Maybe just smile and nod and say, "Maybe you're right." Then turn around and just blow off the comments? You're obviously not going to change her mind, no sense arguing about it. Although I'd be more likely to reply with something snarky, like, "Oh, but I don't want my babies to be healthy. And I like my toddlers sick! They're less rambunctious that way." lol

I'm 5 months pregnant, nursing my almost 21 month old a couple times a day still, and him and the baby (and pregnancy) are all very healthy.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started weaning when I found out I was pregnant (daughter was 16 months old; we nursed until she was 21 or 22 months, so about 6 months pregnant maybe?) because I do think it's healthier for everyone to not breastfeed through a pregnancy. But it's no one's business, either.
I also got really uncomfortable with nursing around 5 months in- it was really freaking me out and bothering me for her to nurse. I love nursing, so that was a surprise for me. Be aware that your feelings about the whole situation *might* change.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

People are always going to have opinions. I got pregnant with DS when my DD was 19 months. She nursed the whole time. My pregnancy was completely complication free and DS was born healthy "overdue" and a pound and a half bigger than his older sister. Clearly, he was not lacking for nutrition! They have a great sibling bond as they are still tandem nursing. I'm just now starting the weaning (very slowly) process with my almost 4 yr old.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your body will do what is right, if baby on the inside is not getting enough nutrients your milk will dry up. Your body knows best, people have done it for ages. I tried so hard with both pregnancies to continue with nursing but always dried up about half way through. Good luck mama. Hope you can keep it up.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
homeinsight
Registered Users
Formerly: jba**a
seller

My Mood:

Loved your thread title! Cheering you on!!!
homeinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Like!

As long as you keep yourself hydrated and eat a well-balanced diet, both babies will be fine. Moms and grandmas think what they did is the right thing. So tired of hearing the "when I was raising kids" stories. Keep doing what you want mama. Its not wrong or unhealthy.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
nestra
Registered Users

I am afraid I will get this attitude from my MIL when I get pregnant with #2 (fingers crossed). I have no intentions of weaning.
nestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Aww! I feel ya! Hang in there. I was still tandem nursing my first two LOs when I got preggo with my third, and nursed them both till about 6 mo pregnant when I weaned my oldest (2.5 years at the time). I'm still nursing the second and third babies now (26 months and almost 9 months). Hoping to wean the second one before I get pregnant again, but we'll see what happens. I agree, I get tired of hearing how it's so much "healthier" to space kids out farther. Mine are 16 and 17 months apart, and we love it! Keep up the good work, mama!