Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
When to set up birth tub?

I am trying to figure out when to inflate the birth tub... It will be in our bedroom, so not in a major traffic area of the house, but I don't want to set it up too early for fear that my older kids might poke a hole in it!

My oldest was born @ 35 weeks, 4 hours start to finish.
My youngest was born at 40 weeks, 3 hours start to finish.

My previous labors both started with spontaneous rupture of membranes and took off from there. I am *anticipating* a rapid birth this time and am concerned about getting the tub filled in time. This is my first waterbirth, so I will need to do a dry run (no pun intended) to see how long it takes to fill the tub.

When should I set it up?

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well with my last pregnancy as soon as my midwives were on their way up I had hubby blow it up. They wanted to check me before getting in the water but by the time they got there I was complete and there wasn't enough time to fill it up. In hindsight I should have blown it up when I first thought I was in labor before they started heading up and shoulda filled it up (assuming we didn't have the issue of finding the adapter for the sink ). This time (hospital birth) I plan on having the tub filled up first thing upon admittance.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to set up birth tub?

As soon as my water started leaking I had DH set it up and start filling it. With my last birth I didn't have time to set up the tub and was very sad about it. I wasn't taking any chances. My Dh set our water heater on high so we could hopefully get a good amount of water in on the first go around. My midwife suggested that if the pool wasn't full but I was ready to get in, we could use the hose and pour the water over me (my back or belly) but this time around was my longest labor (14hrs) and I got the water birth I wanted Hope you get your water birth too!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once you know you're in labor. Our birth pool only took about 20 minutes from inflation to being full of water. If you use a hose it doesn't take that long. With ds2 I set it up a few hours into labor, my water had already been broken and contractions were going, but weren't that close together.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, we set it up at 37 weeks and baby didn't arrive until 40+! Fortunately we started filling the tub as soon as I went into labor and while it took an hour to fill, I still had an hour before baby came, so I got the birth I wanted! Woot!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote