Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users

Mathematical Reasoning...

http://www.criticalthinking.com/sear...2=c&catalog3=c

I just saw this mentioned in another thread today and I'm really interested in it. Right now we are using Singapore K, the first book. Maybe we just haven't made it far enough but I don't see any reasoning skills being taught in Singapore.

Questions I have about Mathematical Reasoning: Do you only need the main workbook? What about teacher guides? Does it seem comprehensive enough?

I'd love to hear from people that have tried this and could compare it to another math program, strengths and weaknesses?

Not sure where I'd place DS...I feel like I chose the wrong level in Singapore. I've heard from others on here that it is more challenging in the second K book. Math is his favorite subject and this looks a bit more fun, colorful, and challenging than Singapore. I always hear how great of a program Singapore is and I've never heard of this one so that concerns me a bit. Why isn't it more popular?

Thanks Ladies!

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mathematical Reasoning...

If I am looking at this correctly, this is more to use with another program rather than on its own. That is how I see it, anyway. Some of the things in there are covered in Math-U-See, I know, but not at the 1st or 2nd grade level. We have always done other things to help our kids learn some of those skills, though. Board games help with problem solving, and there are other books, similar to those you linked, that help with skills that either aren't covered yet or are covered later than you want.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't look super closely at it, but we did Singapore K Essentials and are in 1a almost 1b. I agree that book a of the K set is easy, but it does get more challenging. Also, you aren't at the point of learning the skills and strategies for mental math type stuff yet, but I assure you that they are definitely in 1a and beyond. I told my husband that I am even learning problem solving skills and mental math tricks. I mean, I can obviously do 1st grade math, but it is teaching even me a new way to think about simple math.

Personally, I didn't love K, but we are loving 1a. I have been telling my husband that I can really see how people say it is strong in mental math. I almost changed to another program. I'm very glad I didn't.

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's my take on it.

Oh and if you stick with Singapore, the number bonds *are* important. I didn't get it till I had already decided they weren't that important and not put a lot of emphasis on them.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users

Thanks ladies, I want to stick with Singapore because so many of our friends IRL use and love it and they have older kids. Right now we're just pushing through. DS is advanced but young so I wanted to start him in the beginning. I knew about the number bonds and wanted to make sure I introduced it in the correct way. Anyways, he's adding double digits and learning how to do mental math on his own (he's always loved math) and Singapore has him circling the number of fingers they are holding up.

I'll stick with it for now. I noticed that the Mathmatical Reasoning people will be at our HS book fair so I'll have to chat with them at the fair. We HS year round so maybe we can do both programs or at least part of MR.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote