Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nursing and clomid/progesterone?

This is a question from my sil. She has PCOS and needed clomid and progesterone to conceive her first who is 10 months old. They want to start trying for #2 but she is nursing. What can she do/take while breast feeding?
Ideally they want to nurse longer rather than not but don't want to wait too long inbetween kids.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Nursing and clomid/progesterone?

I have PCOS and got pregnant on my own while nursing. Has she gone back on Metformin yet? THat would be the first thing to do as it enhances fertility and is safe during breastfeeding. She may have to wait till she has cycles first. While nursing her prolactin is the part that would kill her fertility not the PCOS resay. Prolactin is what keeps her making milk and stops ovulation in women with high levels. Taking Clomid will only help her lose her supply as it will up he estrogen levels. Progesterone will not hurt her, but the estrogen is not good for supply.

I would tell her to go on Metformin, finish nursing, and then go from there. Many women cannot get pregnant whiel nursing and have to wean to get pregnant again. I can say I got my cycles back while nursing and got pregnant with severe PCOS at 6 months post partum due to Metformin. I also got pregnant 2 years later after weaning with just Metformin with my son I have now. I had to use CLomid to get DS2 but none of the others.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:
I took clomid and once pregnant, progesterone when I was nursing my DS. He was older, though, almost 2 and only nursing at night to fall asleep by that point. I did not take it for PCOS though. I took it for luteal phase deficiency.

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I have PCOS and got pregnant on my own while nursing. Has she gone back on Metformin yet? THat would be the first thing to do as it enhances fertility and is safe during breastfeeding. She may have to wait till she has cycles first. While nursing her prolactin is the part that would kill her fertility not the PCOS resay. Prolactin is what keeps her making milk and stops ovulation in women with high levels. Taking Clomid will only help her lose her supply as it will up he estrogen levels. Progesterone will not hurt her, but the estrogen is not good for supply.

I would tell her to go on Metformin, finish nursing, and then go from there. Many women cannot get pregnant whiel nursing and have to wean to get pregnant again. I can say I got my cycles back while nursing and got pregnant with severe PCOS at 6 months post partum due to Metformin. I also got pregnant 2 years later after weaning with just Metformin with my son I have now. I had to use CLomid to get DS2 but none of the others.
I don't think she took metformin. She only has 2-3 periods a year so she can't use that as a gauge for anything. Her dd nurses 4ish times a day
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing and clomid/progesterone?

Obviously they'll consult with a doctor, but FWIW, I am not comfortable taking clomid while nursing. There isn't tons of info either way, but that's my personal preference. It is hard to wait, especially if it took awhile the first time, but I would recommend waiting a bit longer until their baby isn't dependent on nursing. Maybe at the year or soon after point?

I have PCOS and had no cycles for a year prior to conceiving with the help of clomid/IUI. To my shock, I started having irregular cycles around 11 months post partum, and they have gradually become ovulatory even while nursing my 19 month old. However, I am weaning her so that we can maximize our chances of pregnancy and be ready if we do need to use clomid again. All of that to say, her body MIGHT have reset a bit with pregnancy, but it does take patience to see. I've heard of that happening to numerous friends.

All of that is just personal stuff and not really research/data, but I am hesitant to introduce clomid while nursing personally. Metformin didn't work for me previously, but I an curious about using vitex and natural progesterone cream for the next few cycles. Good luck to your sister with whatever they decide!
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
77Lipen
Registered Users

I've heard that during ovulation milk supply decreases...
So if clomid 'forces' multiple eggs into ovulation it would stand to reason that milk supply would suffer quite a bit. My total uneducated guess.
Btw I was on gonal-F, same idea as clomid.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote