Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Sam's Club Flour Sack Towels Rave!

Got tired of putting DS in sposies every time he got a rash that requires something more heavy duty than Coconut oil or CD safe creams. So, since I love flats anyway but don't want to chance staining my good ones, I picked up 2 dozen flour sack towels from Sam's. I had a few from target already, but the Sams are much bigger...30x38 I think. I figure I'll use whatever cream DS needs and if they get stained, or shredded from bleach, oh well they are only $1 each. I was expecting to "suffer through" a few days with these flats.

Holy cow, I love them! They are definitely thinner than my GMD small, but they are absorbent enough as long as I change every couple hours. I haven even tried doubling them up but id guess if i did, they'd be pretty comparable to the gmd. Their size is great! DS had outgrown the rise on an origami folded GMD small, but I can origami these with room to spare, and the wings are so long I could tie it on if I wanted! For pad folding, their size gives tons of layers and I won't even need to double to get similar absorbency to the GMD. Based on how much I love the size, I'm seriously considering getting the GMD large (but even those are only 29x29 after shrinking according to the website).

If you have a bigger baby and want to try out flats, I'd say these are a great place to start. Or if you need something you don't mind ruining, or a backup stash, I highly recommend these. I may end up reaching for these even after the rash phase is over (which is almost clear after only 12 hours, yay for Boudreaux's Butt Paste!)

Advertisement

PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info! Is there any chance you have a kitchen scale around? I started a thread awhile ago to compare cotton diapers and didn't get many responses.

The Walmart flour sack was 60 grams, like the old smaller GMD small, Bleached. The new GMD small, unbleached, is about 80 grams. So maybe this bugger flour sack is equivalent to that.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

As a matter of fact I do I weighed two of them, one was 71g and the other was 76g, so around 75g average. That's interesting to compare the weights...I never thought of that. Now I'm going to be grabbing all my various prefolds and flats and playing all day, lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I've been nerding out with the kitchen scale, lol. My receiving blanket flats were all between 85 and 90g! The GMD smalls were indeed around 80. I knew i loved those RB flats for a reason other than just cute My premium prefold was like 125 (!!!) and the infant was around 80. Gerber flats were no more than 40.

Had I seen this "research", I probably would have skipped the GMDs and bought more receiving blankets! Oh well.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff
I've been nerding out with the kitchen scale, lol. My receiving blanket flats were all between 85 and 90g! The GMD smalls were indeed around 80. I knew i loved those RB flats for a reason other than just cute My premium prefold was like 125 (!!!) and the infant was around 80. Gerber flats were no more than 40.

Had I seen this "research", I probably would have skipped the GMDs and bought more receiving blankets! Oh well.
Does this mean the receiving blankets absorb almost as much as a prefold?!
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I was wondering that too. I wonder if the type of weave affects how much it can absorb, not only the weight of cotton. I could soak each type and weigh it, then subtract the weight of the diaper to see how much liquid it would hold. I think that's an experiment for another day
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff
I was wondering that too. I wonder if the type of weave affects how much it can absorb, not only the weight of cotton. I could soak each type and weigh it, then subtract the weight of the diaper to see how much liquid it would hold. I think that's an experiment for another day
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sam's Club Flour Sack Towels Rave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff View Post

Thanks for adding some numbers to my diaper geeking! I'll see if I can dig up that thread and add your numbers to it.

From what I've experimented with, the weight is the biggest determination in how much it absorbs. The weave and thickness has more to do with how quickly it absorbs and how well it washes. Birdseye, I find, absorbs SUPER fast while flour sack takes a little longer (my D-future-H now hates flour sack towels in the kitchen, preferring GMD flats). But in a diaper I think flour sack absorb fast enough, and plenty of folds get around the rectangularity.